My HUD Elements Are Bugged and I Have No Idea What's Causing It or How To Fix It

LeviWali

Question

I am trying to install interface overhaul mods, previously Untarnished UI and currently EdgeUI, but no matter what I do, there are elements (mainly of the HUD) that won't change, or they just look weird and not how they are meant to. The biggest things are 1.) the compass will not change from the one from Dear Diary Dark Mode (I installed it simply because it is required for Untarnished UI -- one thing I might try again, is reinstalling DDDM and choose no for everything, I did try this before and it didn't work), 2.) the main player widget also stays as either the DDDM, NordicUI (which I fully Uninstalled so I have no idea why that was showing up), or in this case, I installed EdgeUI and now the player widget is just all messed up and wonky, and 3.) the pop up when I level up will not change from vanilla, I even tried NordicUI previously which almost completely changes it, but in my case it did nothing.

I even tried disabling DDDM and UntarnishedUI and nothing changed, I looked all over to see if maybe the files were copied somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything.

There was one point where I had Untarnished UI working perfect, but I guess it all fell apart and I don't know how or why. Any help is greatly appreciated. My modlist is almost perfect right now EXCEPT for the UI elements which I just cannot figure out, and I want to so badly.

Examples: https://imgur.com/a/XQJiGGW 

Modlist: https://modwat.ch/u/LevWal/plugins 

9 answers to this question

Well, I had a look at what EdgeUI should look like. It looks really good. I can see why you would want to have that. And you are right that DDDM's compass is overlaying it's compass.

I can also see why you came to STEP for help. The mod author isn't very forthcoming with install instructions (install- and loadorder?!) or help. AND he puts the latest update under a paywall, which he claims under the mod that he would never do... Things that makes me go "Hmm".

Anyway, as the MA so, um... helpfully, says on patreon: "Something doesnt work..blabla oblivion icons..blabla UI is vanilla? - Its almost always the wrong LO or you dont have the requirements" (sarcasm off). So let's try putting EdgeUI below all other UI changing mods, which includes things like CoMAP, CNO, etc. If you are using the STEP install categories, place as last in the "Interface" category. Then check in-game if that solves it. If it doesn't, try moving it even further down, like just before the xLODGEN, TexGen and DynDOLOD output files. Then check again.

If that doesn't solve it, you can try hiding the .swf files that are apparently being overwritten in game. Like the compass.swf from DDDM/CNO or the DDDM-CNO patch and see if that helps. if it does, go very carefully through all the .swf files which are used by EdgeUI and hide the competing .swf files from all other mods, so that just the ones from EdgeUI remain.

Hopefully this will make the UI work as it should. If not, then I am afraid you will have to contact the ModAuthor and ask for the best install/ loadorder.

16 hours ago, LeviWali said:

I am trying to install interface overhaul mods, previously Untarnished UI and currently EdgeUI, but no matter what I do, there are elements (mainly of the HUD) that won't change, or they just look weird and not how they are meant to. The biggest things are 1.) the compass will not change from the one from Dear Diary Dark Mode (I installed it simply because it is required for Untarnished UI -- one thing I might try again, is reinstalling DDDM and choose no for everything, I did try this before and it didn't work), 2.) the main player widget also stays as either the DDDM, NordicUI (which I fully Uninstalled so I have no idea why that was showing up), or in this case, I installed EdgeUI and now the player widget is just all messed up and wonky, and 3.) the pop up when I level up will not change from vanilla, I even tried NordicUI previously which almost completely changes it, but in my case it did nothing.

I even tried disabling DDDM and UntarnishedUI and nothing changed, I looked all over to see if maybe the files were copied somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything.

There was one point where I had Untarnished UI working perfect, but I guess it all fell apart and I don't know how or why. Any help is greatly appreciated. My modlist is almost perfect right now EXCEPT for the UI elements which I just cannot figure out, and I want to so badly.

Examples: https://imgur.com/a/XQJiGGW 

Modlist: https://modwat.ch/u/LevWal/plugins 

Make sure the UI mods you want are not overwritten by anything. And double check you have removed the txt, ini and swf files from old UI mods.

6 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Make sure the UI mods you want are not overwritten by anything. And double check you have removed the txt, ini and swf files from old UI mods.

Where should I look for those txt, ini and swf files? I looked in the different Skyrim directories and I could find anything. Should I just look for them in the mods that are overwriting, or the should I go into the specific mod folder and erase those files?

16 hours ago, LeviWali said:

Where should I look for those txt, ini and swf files? I looked in the different Skyrim directories and I could find anything. Should I just look for them in the mods that are overwriting, or the should I go into the specific mod folder and erase those files?

I find that the easiest way is to use the "data" tab in the right column of MO2 (assuming you are using MO2). Type ini in the search bar at the bottom and that will bring up all ini-files. Given your modlist there will be a lot, but focus on the UI mods. Same goes for txt files and swf files.

If the results are in red text it means that multiple mods have those files. The red text mod name is the winner. If the winner is wrong, you can easily hide or delete the offending file. If the text is white, it means that only the mod mentioned has this file.

I am no expert on UI mods, but I believe UI errors are usually due to swf files not being correct, due to not following the installation order.

If all else fails, delete ALL the UI mods and re-install them in the proper order. Many UI mods have a list of "ideal" installation order. And remember that CNO also changes the UI.

1 hour ago, ButchDiavolo said:

I find that the easiest way is to use the "data" tab in the right column of MO2 (assuming you are using MO2). Type ini in the search bar at the bottom and that will bring up all ini-files. Given your modlist there will be a lot, but focus on the UI mods. Same goes for txt files and swf files.

If the results are in red text it means that multiple mods have those files. The red text mod name is the winner. If the winner is wrong, you can easily hide or delete the offending file. If the text is white, it means that only the mod mentioned has this file.

I am no expert on UI mods, but I believe UI errors are usually due to swf files not being correct, due to not following the installation order.

If all else fails, delete ALL the UI mods and re-install them in the proper order. Many UI mods have a list of "ideal" installation order. And remember that CNO also changes the UI.

I am in fact using MO2, I just checked and all of the overlapping ones have EdgeUI (the one I want) in red text, so it is winning, but for some reason it just isn't showing up. I'm going to try to uninstall all of them to see if I can get back to the vanilla bars and then startover.

6 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

I tried uninstalling everything and I did get the vanilla hud back. So, I began to install them, and everything was going fine, but once I installed DDDM and Untarnished UI and I had the same issues, aside from the info bars being wacky. I just can't seem to get rid of that compass and I have no clue why.

EDIT: the player bars are only sort of working, they appear and look normal, but they don't look how they are supposed to with Edge UI, they look like the ones from Nordic UI which doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. I did have Nordic UI, as well as the TrueHUD preset, "Nordic...ish", but I removed and deleted those a while ago.

Edited by LeviWali

17 minutes ago, LeviWali said:

I tried uninstalling everything and I did get the vanilla hud back. So, I began to install them, and everything was going fine, but once I installed DDDM and Untarnished UI and I had the same issues, aside from the info bars being wacky. I just can't seem to get rid of that compass and I have no clue why.

EDIT: the player bars are only sort of working, they appear and look normal, but they don't look how they are supposed to with Edge UI, they look like the ones from Nordic UI which doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. I did have Nordic UI, as well as the TrueHUD preset, "Nordic...ish", but I removed and deleted those a while ago.

UPDATE: it looks like the EdgeUI/Untarnished compass is in fact there, it's just that the DDDM compass is also there over top of it for some reason. Another weird thing is that the vanilla shout cooldown overlay is there but without the vanilla compass. I have a screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/LEGiIBP.

On 1/11/2024 at 8:46 PM, ButchDiavolo said:

Well, I had a look at what EdgeUI should look like. It looks really good. I can see why you would want to have that. And you are right that DDDM's compass is overlaying it's compass.

I can also see why you came to STEP for help. The mod author isn't very forthcoming with install instructions (install- and loadorder?!) or help. AND he puts the latest update under a paywall, which he claims under the mod that he would never do... Things that makes me go "Hmm".

Anyway, as the MA so, um... helpfully, says on patreon: "Something doesnt work..blabla oblivion icons..blabla UI is vanilla? - Its almost always the wrong LO or you dont have the requirements" (sarcasm off). So let's try putting EdgeUI below all other UI changing mods, which includes things like CoMAP, CNO, etc. If you are using the STEP install categories, place as last in the "Interface" category. Then check in-game if that solves it. If it doesn't, try moving it even further down, like just before the xLODGEN, TexGen and DynDOLOD output files. Then check again.

If that doesn't solve it, you can try hiding the .swf files that are apparently being overwritten in game. Like the compass.swf from DDDM/CNO or the DDDM-CNO patch and see if that helps. if it does, go very carefully through all the .swf files which are used by EdgeUI and hide the competing .swf files from all other mods, so that just the ones from EdgeUI remain.

Hopefully this will make the UI work as it should. If not, then I am afraid you will have to contact the ModAuthor and ask for the best install/ loadorder.

Yes thank you, it turns out the BS - Bruma Assets file had a hudmenu.swf that was overwriting the one from EdgeUI and messing everything up. So i went ahead and hid that and everything is perfect now, thank you very much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeviWali said:

Yes thank you, it turns out the BS - Bruma Assets file had a hudmenu.swf that was overwriting the one from EdgeUI and messing everything up. So i went ahead and hid that and everything is perfect now, thank you very much.

Learning how to use MO's Information > Conflicts and Data tabs are key to resolving asset conflicts. You would simply copy/paste ".swf" into the Data filter, and the providing mod is shown for each asset. If there is a conflict with another enabled mod, the text is red:

image.png

If you right-click the mod text, you have an option to "Open Mod Info" and review the Conflicts tab, which also has text filters.

image.png