MaxGrassTypesPerTexure

QuagaarWarrior

Hi everyone,

I ran some tests this morning to see if what the maximum number of unique grass types was per landscape texture. I added 20 grass types to FieldGrass01. I adjusted my ini file to show up to 20. I then went in game and counted how many appeared. Using these settings I got 16 unique grasses to appear. 

I re-ran the test using the same grasses but using PineForest02. Again, same results. 

The 16 grasses that appeared were the top 16 grasses as they appear in xEdit. The bottom 4 were missing. 

I was wondering where the supposed limit of 15 came from? This limit is quite widespread (for example Bethini will only allow you to have a max of 15 I believe). 

Perhaps there has been a change between LE and SE/AE in this regard?

QW

When I first created Bethini, everyone would set it to 7 because Skyrim Flora Overhaul would use that number. I merely just doubled that for the max for the slider to 15 and called it a day. I never intended people to consider that a limit. I just couldn't imagine ever needing to increase it beyond 15 at the time. If 16 is indeed the limit, I might as well just make it 16.

20 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

I think it seems likely it got started by my setting the max value to 15. I don't recall anybody ever testing it.

'15' is the value set by Cathedral Landscapes, so that kinda set the president, I think.

Looking into this tweak actually when developing my seasons mod, it appears to use the grass index number, so if you found max of 16 types show, then 15 would actually be the limit, since the index starts with 0. That would be some coincidence if I just randomly got the max value correct. You can see this by setting in the console and using tg to toggle the grass and force it to recreate. Do -1 effectively disables grass, but 0 seems to use the first grass type in the index. I can reliably restrict grass at index 4 from showing by limiting it to 3.

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Looking into this tweak actually when developing my seasons mod, it appears to use the grass index number, so if you found max of 16 types show, then 15 would actually be the limit, since the index starts with 0. That would be some coincidence if I just randomly got the max value correct. You can see this by setting in the console and using tg to toggle the grass and force it to recreate. Do -1 effectively disables grass, but 0 seems to use the first grass type in the index. I can reliably restrict grass at index 4 from showing by limiting it to 3.

So to be clear, there are 16 types: 0-15

CL and BethINI .. et al. Use '15' for this reason it seems.

So are you saying that grass at index 16 shows? That would mean we can do 17 different types. 

1 hour ago, QuagaarWarrior said:

But you would still need iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=16 in your ini file or the final grass won't show

8 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

So are you saying that grass at index 16 shows? That would mean we can do 17 different types. 

Could it be that the INI setting is just the count, which would exclude zero, so 0-15 = 1-16... ?

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

Could it be that the INI setting is just the count, which would exclude zero, so 0-15 = 1-16... ?

My testing indicated it was the index. I set a green grass at index 4 (the 5th grass in the LTEX record). It showed if iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=4, but not at iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=3.

35 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

My testing indicated it was the index. I set a green grass at index 4 (the 5th grass in the LTEX record). It showed if iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=4, but not at iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=3.

Ahh, I see. You may have been inferring as much in your previous^^