What are all the things that impact scrap recipes?

Using xEdit. To simplify things, we'll work with only the HvacUnit01 object. I want to understand the factors involved so I can learn to troubleshoot this myself, hence this is not "how do I fix my buggy load order", but instead "how do I track why it is buggy".

My current understanding is thus:
1) A "Static" record is basically the object's definition, including many attributes but neither recipe information nor links/references/pointers to any.
2) "Constructible Object" records include crafting recipe information or scrap recipe information. Materials required/acquired, their amounts, any necessary perks, and so forth are outlined. There is a reference back to the item definition in the "Static" record.
3) The item is placed Cell/Worldspace records. These include a callback to the original "Static" record, but I can't see any links here directly to the "Constructible Object" record. I'm not sure how the game knows what action to take when a player initiates the "scrap action"; does the game load all possible scrap recipes alongside all possible craft recipes whenever the player enters workshop mode?
4) It is not possible to modify crafting or scrapping recipes with loose files or archives, only in plugin files (esm, esp, esl).
5) Is it possible to modify them with scripts? If so, how do I track down what script(s) are modifying a given record?
6) Once loaded, do craft/scrap recipes remain loaded until the cell is reloaded? ie if I save in a settlement with recipe version 1, exit the game, modify the recipe into version 2, and relaunch the game, which version will be active upon first loading the save file?

Thanks in advance for any answers or guidance!

Background info (probably not needed to answer my questions):
Using custom filters in xEdit, I've found a few masters referencing HvacUnit01 objects in my load order, with differing FormIDs and EditorIDs. The base game and official DLCs place them but I don't see scrap recipes, Homemaker, and Rebuild AIO. Of the two mods, both have scrap recipes: Homemaker returns 8 steel, Rebuild returns 2 steel. In game, the popup only shows 1 steel for the Rebuild AIO version, which is what is added to the inventory upon scrapping. xEdit shows no conflicts in the scrap recipes or "static" records, which all have unique IDs. The Cell and Worldspace records do overwrite, meaning for each in-game instance I have to use the console to track back exactly which "version" of the HVAC system is present.

I have a few dozen such conflicts for various objects and I'm using this as an exercise to increase my understanding before I try making a few compatibility patches between things like the UFO4P and WorkshopRearranged (which are supposed to be compatible but WR hasn't been updated in years).

Constructible Object.png

Edited by Taejang
Clarity

Dunno if anybody is interested in this, but I figure I should update with my progress.

Unanswered:

1. How do you track what scripts impact a given record?
  2. How do you tell a scrapping recipe apart from a crafting recipe?
  3. If an item/object has a dedicated recipe, and appears in another recipe by way of form list, which takes precedence?

Answered:

1. Yes, scripts can change recipes. Some of these can be found in MCM settings for some mods.
  2. There are "form lists" that can contain a list of things all pointed to a single scrap recipe. This is how items without a dedicated recipe can still get scrapped
    1. If an item has a scrap/craft recipe and is present in a different recipe by a different name, by way of a form list, xEdit does not show a conflict. It is unclear to me which recipe takes precedence.
  3. In the case of the HvacUnit01 bug, it wasn't a real bug. It doesn't have a scrap recipe (for that version), only a craft one, which requires 2 steel, so when scrapped it returns half (or 1 steel). This is only one of many issues I'm seeking to address
  4. Changing a recipe and reloading a save file has the changes immediately available, no need to wait 3 days or reload the zone
  5. I've learned more about the "Filter" system in xEdit, and it does let me find things easier, though it is not explained how to use it (or the ctrl+F) in xEdit itself and I'm still figuring it out. There is documentation on it here. Finding anything in the documentation can be a challenge at times.
  6. Many records (though not all) have a "Referenced By (#)" section. Right pane, bottom tabs. This makes it much easier to track connections and dependencies
Edited by Taejang
  • Thanks 1

If you are using the Referenced By tab to explore references, it's handy to set a bookmark where you are before following the reference so you can easily return back to where you were. Use Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+5 to set the bookmark and Alt+1 to Alt+5 to go back to the bookmark. You can find some jewels in What's New, although it requires a lot of reading.

This stuff I find easier to find out by looking at examples from other mods. I learned it by making my Build Your Own Magic Mushroom Experience Settlement Pack using Settlement Menu Manager and the tutorial in the files section, and observing other similar small mods in xEdit (as I hate the Creation Kit and avoid it unless absolutely necessary).

21 hours ago, Greg said:

If you are using the Referenced By tab to explore references, it's handy to set a bookmark where you are before following the reference so you can easily return back to where you were. Use Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+5 to set the bookmark and Alt+1 to Alt+5 to go back to the bookmark. You can find some jewels in What's New, although it requires a lot of reading.

Bookmarks, those are handy. Thanks!

16 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

This stuff I find easier to find out by looking at examples from other mods. I learned it by making my Build Your Own Magic Mushroom Experience Settlement Pack using Settlement Menu Manager and the tutorial in the files section, and observing other similar small mods in xEdit (as I hate the Creation Kit and avoid it unless absolutely necessary).

What I want is a diagram map that outlines how different record types are connected. Mostly just labels and arrows really. Tutorials are great for long-term mastery but they're terrible reference materials. The xEdit documentation has tons of good info but again it's not laid out for easy searching or referencing. You wouldn't happen to know of anything like that by chance?