Following the STEP Guide: SKSE Plugin Loader - EngineFixes.dll only compatible with versions earlier than 1.6.629

RomanFox

Hi, all!

I've seen posts with similar issues to mine but not exactly the same. Sorry if my question has already been answered elsewhere, but if it has, I haven't found it.

I've been away from Skyrim and modding for a little over a year and noticed that there have been some significant updates to the STEP guide so I figured I'd give it another go. I just finished installing all the mods in the list up to the game test right before installing any post-processing mods. When I launch skse64_loader through MO2, I'm getting the following error box:

A DLL plugin has failed to load correctly. If a new version of Skyrim was just released, the plugin needs to be updated. Please check the mod's webpage for updates.

EngineFixes.dll: disabled, only compatible with versions earlier than 1.6.629

Continuing to load may result in lost save data or other undesired behavior. Exit game? (yes highly suggested)

I've confirmed I'm running version 1.6.640 of SkyrimSE.exe (with the AE upgrade). I've followed the STEP guide to the letter up to this point (with the exception of choosing a handful of higher quality textures than recommended). In my novice opinion, this appears to be an issue with the SSE Engine Fixes item early in the Extenders section of the guide, or something dependent on it. I installed the recommended versions from NexusMods:

• SKSE compatible with 1.6.640 from Steam
  • (Part 1) Engine Fixes for 1.6.xxx, installed through MO2
  • (Part 2) Engine Fixes - skse64 Preloader and TBB Lib, extracted and installed to the Skyrim root directory as instructed

The "smoke test" advised in the guide didn't run into any issues before I hit the "don't load the game again until instructed" message. Can anyone out there help me figure out what I'm missing to get this to load correctly so I can continue setting up my game? I'd like to not have to nuke my installation and start from scratch, but I will if I really have to.

Regards,

R

Double check to be certain you have downloaded and installed the correct version of the Part 1 Engine Fixes main file.  If you installed the top main file, it only works with Skyrim SE game versions 1.5.39 - 1.5.97.

image.thumb.png.7d82c3774a98edcaf70840076abfead3.png

image.thumb.png.7a1f1513ad65a04fb51c6de0e840eca4.png

Edited by Kattmandu

Thanks for the suggestion! I may have had a brain malfunction and misread the version number on the SKSE file. I downloaded the Part 1 file under the "old files" section that's labeled "For Skyrim SE 1.6.xxx versions before 1.6.629". But I'm running 1.6.640, so clearly I downloaded the wrong one. I'll redownload files for the correct version and update the thread with what happens.

• Like 1