[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Only if you change the file resolution or format, the other parameters just make a more game optimized texture. Most files are already in those formats so no useful data is lost on those at all. But in many cases where the resolution or format changes there is a noticeable degradation. At that point you'll need to decide if the performance increase outweighs the detail loss.

Believe I'm looking at the right ones. The DDSopt version has one less mip level (11) from the HRDLC (12). Resolutions are the same.

Only other difference I see is that in the HRDLC version, the left most portion of the view has a gray tint over it, whereas the DDSopt version doesn't. I don't know what that means though.

what is the name of that texture? (also, try using DDSopt preview tab to see the textures. lots more info there, but no way to direct compare with diff)

In DDSopt, both versions are the same resolution and same format, just that my DDSopt version has one less mipmap. So either information loss can occur regardless of format and resolution staying the same, or that one missing mipmap is causing the problems. I just don't know which one is missing, and if that is the cause.

That is the normal map (it would look weird in compressonator). The actual texture is "treepineforestbranchcomp.dds", and it also is missing the 12th mipmap, which is just a single pixel (so it makes sense that the normal is missing this as well). That could account for all of the missing 'filler'. There are definitely diffs in the lower mip levels as well (everything under the 1st). That is why close trees look identical, but they begin looking different farther away. The DDSopt versions actually DO have more detail (I measure detail by the steepness of the palette gradient, and DDSopt definitely has a steeper gradient :P )

How to recapture that lower mip is now my question. Will work on this later tonight.

That is the normal map (it would look weird in compressonator). The actual texture is "treepineforestbranchcomp.dds", and it also is missing the 12th mipmap, which is just a single pixel (so it makes sense that the normal is missing this as well). That could account for all of the missing 'filler'. There are definitely diffs in the lower mip levels as well (everything under the 1st). That is why close trees look identical, but they begin looking different farther away. The DDSopt versions actually DO have more detail (I measure detail by the steepness of the palette gradient, and DDSopt definitely has a steeper gradient :P )

How to recapture that lower mip is now my question. Will work on this later tonight.

So is that missing mip accounting for the distant, but near trees as well? What's strange is that I'm seeing a very few select trees that look normal, but far too many regardless of distance (except those you are up against) have missing information. I don't know how to do any real comparison, but I believe you that what DDSopt has processed has good detail. Just have to figure out how to get the missing information back.

Did a comparison between Vanilla and the DDSopt versions running around

and watch to see what happened. With the Vanilla textures, trees maintain their shape and details pop in as you get closer to

them.

With the DDSopt version, most of the trees in the near distance are missing

information, and as you get closer, the extra information pops in.

However, trees that are even further in the distance seem to still

maintain their original shape.

You are seeing the LOD versions:

skuldafnworldtreelod.dds

sovngardetreelod.dds

deepwoodredoubtworldtreelod.dds

These will be more the same; however, I just did a direct compare of these (they are in the hi res packs), and while the DDSopt versions do not look thinner, there is a detail loss here on all mip levels beneath the first (no diff in first).

I am going to play with these and get back with what I learn.

I don't know if this is the thread but when I used DDSopt one file from cloaks of skyrim got corrupted twice and another one time.

...\Textures\clothes\cloaksofskyrim\

Cape_n.dds

sagecloak_n.dds

First time I used DDSopt both these files where corrupted, all the cloaks where very shiny and plastic. I later had to reinstall the project and when I ran the optimizer then only sagecloak_n.dds was corrupted.

Also the mod Kaw Claws-Colored Long Nails have all it's textures re-sized which makes the nails pink

files found in:

...\Textures\NailColors\

aqua.dds , black.dds , blue.dds , brithred.dds , darkred.dds , gold.dds

green.dds , NailColors_n.dds , pink.dds , Purple.dds , silver.dds