[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've reinstalled Skyrim and I'm trying to optimize my BSAs with DDSopt. Somehow the BSAs were recognized by DDSopt with my previous install and would automatically be the default program to open them with. This time, however, they were blank icons as if windows didn't know what to do with them. I've tried right-clicking them and making the default program DDSopt, but every time I click on the DDSopt x64 icon, nothing happens and it goes back to the "open with" window with another program as it's default.

I can't for the life of me figure out how I was able to have DDSopt the default program for BSAs before, and can't get it to work now...

I tried to make BSAopt be the default program for BSAs but Windows won't allow me to do this. I am able to make DDSopt be the default program. I haven't done any detailed searches to find why this happens and how to fix it.

These programs seem to need differing 64 and 32 bit versions of C++, I needed to get all these to get the default open to work for BSAopt:

Posted Image

Get them from here: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667

I can't say which specifically was needed, I have an idea I needed to get some for other programs... I also can't remember if 64 bit agreed to cooperate.

I haven't changed anything with my C++, it's exactly as it was prior to my reinstallation. However, When I downloaded DDSopt again (I forgot it was in my common folder when I cleared everything out) I only extracted the 64bit version (since that's my OS). Last time I extracted both, so maybe that's the issue?

EDIT: So weird... I added the x32 version and selected it during the "open with" chase scene and now it will open with DDSopt as the default program. However, I got the missing .dll error. So I googled the missing file and found a DayZ thread where someone had the same error and was told to download the C++ package. He said he had (as I had) and that it still didn't fix the problem (neither did it for myself). Then someone said that he needed to download the x86 version instead. I gave it a shot and viola! Now I can open BSAs with DDSopt as default with no errors.

I sure wish I knew more about computers...

Hmm, tried again with those settings. File size for the optimized Skyrim - Animations.bsa is still 339 KB. I originally had Game set to Automatic. Tried it on Skyrim and still got the same result.

Which version of BSAopt did you use?

Version 1.6.3 (the newer versions are beta)

OK, I've optimized the remaining 6 vanilla BSAs using DDSopt (Animations, Interface, Meshes, Misc, Shaders, VoicesExtra).

I'm a bit unclear about the last 4 steps:

2. Move the 6 original BSAs to another folder, such as "Original Vanilla BSAs" for backup purposes.

3. Rename the new optimized BSAs to match the names of 6 original BSAs. Skyrim will then recognize these and use them instead of the original vanilla BSAs.

4. Create another folder (e.g., "Optimized Vanilla BSAs") adjacent to the folder holding the original BSAs.

5. Copy all 6 of the optimized BSAs into this new folder.

It doesn't appear that the optimized BSAs are being placed into the Skyrim Data folder, which is where they originally were in the "regular/vanilla" Skyrim install. Shouldn't they be placed in that folder, eventually?

I have a "Optimized Vanilla BSAs" folder on another drive where I have stored them, and a "Vanilla BSAs" folder on that same drive where I have saved backups of the original vanilla Skyrim BSAs.

So, I thought I could just copy the optimized vanilla BSAs that I just created using DDSopt and paste them into the main Skyrim>Data folder.

From the instructions above, it isn't 100% clear to me what the final result is--- optimized vanilla BSAs in the main Skyrim>Data folder, or are there now two folders within the main Skyrim (or Skyrim>Data) folder: "Original Vanilla BSAs" and "Optimized Vanilla BSAs"? And if there are, how does Skyrim know which BSAs to use?

I might be overthinking this, but the complexity of these procedures and the room for confusion based on my reading of the instructions warrants these questions.

Thanks.

So, I thought I could just copy the optimized vanilla BSAs that I just created using DDSopt and paste them into the main Skyrim>Data folder.

From the instructions above, it isn't 100% clear to me what the final result is--- optimized vanilla BSAs in the main Skyrim>Data folder, or are there now two folders within the main Skyrim (or Skyrim>Data) folder: "Original Vanilla BSAs" and "Optimized Vanilla BSAs"? And if there are, how does Skyrim know which BSAs to use?

You're right, you do want to overwrite the original BSAs with your optimised BSAs.

The reference to the creation of a new folder is just suggesting a backup. Perhaps the guide is over-specific in that way and ought to just refer to "your backup folder" throughout.

Your backup folder should contain two folders:

• "Vanilla BSAs." Useful in case complete reinstall is needed, in that circumstance you would move them back in to skyrim/data to be verified by steam and hence save the need for them to be re-downloaded.
  • "Optimised BSAs," containing your 6 BSAopt-imised BSAs and 4 DDSopt-imised texture archives which are replacing the 4 texture BSAs.
As well as anything else you may feel like keeping a copy of. Of course the name of the folders and their location is completely up to you.

Posted Image

OK, thanks. So, have I finally completed the BSA optimization process using DDSopt, such that I can proceed with the STEP install process?

Here's what my Skyrim data folder currently has in it:

Posted Image

As for the archive files of the loose textures (STD, HRDLC 1-3), Do I just keep them in the "Vanilla Optimized" folder I created on my other drive, until I come to the specific STEP instructions for where to copy them?

Mishmash, this was your reply a few days ago re: these:

"Those four archives of loose files of textures (STD, HRDLC1 etc.) will NOT be made back into BSAs and will replace the original BSAs and be installed like any other mod that will follow in STEP so the four original BSAs of those only need to be in your backup vanilla folder now."

Thanks for that tip.

PS- At what point do I put the archive files of the loose textures (STD, HRDLC 1-3) into my Skyrim folder, and where do I put them?

I glanced over the STEP mod listing on the current STEP install instructions page, but didn't see them mentioned. Maybe I overlooked them.

You will install them like all the other mods, but at the very start. This isn't specified in STEP because the optimisation is optional and therefore some people won't be doing that, they'll have the BSAs still doing that job.

So yes, I think you're ready to begin, so when you get to mod installation install STD, HRDLC 1-3 and then proceed to 2.D.

I hope you'll use Wyrebash so you'll drop them into the installers tab as you will be doing with the subsequent mods.

Drop them in, right click-install, next.