[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What version of DDSopt are you using? If you get the most recent version from the Skyrim Nexus it should look like the pictures. Which parameters do not look like the picture?

Thanks for the informative reply.  I'm using DDSopt - pre-release - update 4  (version 0.8.0.upd4).  I can't check which parameters are different than the pictures at the moment.

I had assumed the INI configured the program automatically.  I'll adjust the parameters to match the pictures.

What version of DDSopt are you using? If you get the most recent version from the Skyrim Nexus it should look like the pictures. Which parameters do not look like the picture?

Thanks for the informative reply.  I'm using DDSopt - pre-release - update 4  (version 0.8.0.upd4).  I can't check which parameters are different than the pictures at the moment.

I had assumed the INI configured the program automatically.  I'll adjust the parameters to match the pictures.

That's the current version. The only parameter that has a changed recommended default in a long time is the Foliage-map opacity rise which was 4.0 and is now 2.0.

Here is the beta version of the batch files that can be used to remove extraneous files in the 3 HRDLC. Its use is described in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization Guide. Make sure you look at the readme before running the HRDLC_Removal_Fix-START.bat file I didn't have any errors when running it.

When a few people have used them and they seem to work I'll put a reference to them in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide.

I added the updated BATs and instructions to the wiki and set up a link from the Guide. This will be nice for collaborative editing and updating as necessary. Once completely stable, we cn serve up an archive of the pre-configured fix.

I have verified that the default settings do not match the images as enhasa stated (DDSOpt preview 4). Below are the default settings where they differ from the images:

Behave

• Produce partial derivative tangent-space normal-maps
  • Raise normal-map steepness each mip-level
  • Gamma-correct mip-map filtering for color-maps

• Normal-map steepness raise->8x
  • Foilage-map opacity raise->5.0x
  • Alpha-map contrast->c^2.0
Ignore

• Don't process any high dynamic range images (DDS, HDR, etc.)
  • Don't process any already processed files (DDS only)
  • Copy unprocessed and ignored files (passthrough)
Settings

• Skip existing files
  • Skip older files
  • Ski hidden files
  • Unselect inappropriate
  • Write logfile

Here is the beta version of the batch files that can be used to remove extraneous files in the 3 HRDLC. Its use is described in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization Guide. Make sure you look at the readme before running the HRDLC_Removal_Fix-START.bat file I didn't have any errors when running it.

When a few people have used them and they seem to work I'll put a reference to them in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide.

I added the updated BATs and instructions to the wiki and set up a link from the Guide. This will be nice for collaborative editing and updating as necessary. Once completely stable, we cn serve up an archive of the pre-configured fix.
Thanks.

I've been looking at the batch file that Cestral uses for TPC. It doesn't use drive substitution, which is always a bit tricky to setup properly. I'm going to look to see if we could change the batch file in a way that doesn't use drive substitution. I'm not sure it can be done easily (or at all) since XCOPY that Cestral uses for copying has a lot of options while the delete command isn't nearly as configurable.

I have verified that the default settings do not match the images as enhasa stated (DDSOpt preview 4). Below are the default settings where they differ from the images:

Behave

• Produce partial derivative tangent-space normal-maps
  • Raise normal-map steepness each mip-level
  • Gamma-correct mip-map filtering for color-maps

• Normal-map steepness raise->8x
  • Foilage-map opacity raise->5.0x
  • Alpha-map contrast->c^2.0
Ignore

• Don't process any high dynamic range images (DDS, HDR, etc.)
  • Don't process any already processed files (DDS only)
  • Copy unprocessed and ignored files (passthrough)
Settings

• Skip existing files
  • Skip older files
  • Ski hidden files
  • Unselect inappropriate
  • Write logfile
I changed the Using DDSopt tab in the guide to say that the first time DDSopt is used users need to change the GUI settings to the ones in the guide.

Nope already tried that.

With both 32 and 64bits versions.

Also checked the rights, I have full rights on them so that isnt the problem either.

Very strange. Do you have anything running that prevents apps from writing to the reg? Aniti v/m?

I turn of UAC personally. I think it is the stupidest feature that can inhibit the power user.

Nope I dont have any previous isntalled.

I just have the loose files and the ini is the programs directory.

@Z

Yeah UAC off here too, tho I have Win8 x64

If AV would block it so would it have done with any other program so far.

BOSS, WB, MO and all the other tools work perfectly and have no problems saving their settings.

Just DDSopt doesnt save it somehow.

Nope I dont have any previous isntalled.

I just have the loose files and the ini is the programs directory.

@Z

Yeah UAC off here too, tho I have Win8 x64

If AV would block it so would it have done with any other program so far.

BOSS, WB, MO and all the other tools work perfectly and have no problems saving their settings.

Just DDSopt doesnt save it somehow.

DDSOpt stores the settings under the Bethesda Softworks key in the registry, so that key probably doesn't exist. It should show up after running Skyrim for the first time.

You can double check by launching "regedit" and looking for the following key (for x64 systems):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks

You can also try launching Skyrim via the launcher (not via SKSE or ATTK) to see if the key gets created.

Those settings really should be stored under HKCU to avoid write problems.

Offcourse I did run skyrim already thru the launcher once so it has that key.

Else TES5Edit would still pout out a warning ;)

And I checked and it is there for sure.

Even the DDSopt key, just no settings in it besides alpha contrast and opacity.

Well it doesnt matter if I have full admin rights.

HKM is used for all users in this case.

I know how windows works tho, my works is ICT ;)