[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

He's using the site to provide a comparison of the images (Vanilla is default image' date=' mouseover is DDSOpt image). I didn't know about that site, but it's really handy for providing online comparisons.[/quote']

OK, now I get it, and I went back to the original posts. very nice solution Besidilo!

I wonder if that functionality could be ported to our forums or wiki?

He's using the site to provide a comparison of the images (Vanilla is default image' date=' mouseover is DDSOpt image). I didn't know about that site' date=' but it's really handy for providing online comparisons.[/quote'']

OK, now I get it, and I went back to the original posts. very nice solution Besidilo!

I wonder if that functionality could be ported to our forums or wiki?

The functionality itself wouldn't be hard as a separate system.

Our current system is vastly superior except for the transitions' date=' if you could remove the refresh during transition that seems to occur and just use the caches it would be perfect.[/quote']

The current system is nice for a quick look, but I disagree that it's superior specifically because you don't get the full resolution image. You can click on full size, but when moving to the next, that doesn't keep (and I don't see any way of being able to force it). That website is just a tad bit more convenient when you want the full detail. BTW, I wouldn't give up the gallery, I was just commenting that the functionality itself could be hosted basically as a separate page.

And what are you referring to in regards to transitions? If you are referring to cycling between images, I don't get any refreshes and mine pulls from the cache. Only time I do is during a fresh page load.

After following this post https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=7820#pid7820 to optimize HRDLC1 & HRDLC2, is the preferred method still to install them as loose files? 

If using them as loose files, is there any reason to keep the original files (HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.esp, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.esp) in the data directory or can they be removed?

After following this post https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=7820#pid7820 to optimize HRDLC1 & HRDLC2, is the preferred method still to install them as loose files? 

If using them as loose files, is there any reason to keep the original files (HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.esp, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.esp) in the data directory or can they be removed?

I'm pretty sure Steam would re-download them next time you run the Skyrim Launcher, so the best way around it is to just leave the files and disable them in Data Files.

I recompile mine back into BSAs and overwrite the ones from steam. They don't get overwritten unless you verify cache.

I am trying to do this now but when I archive the files with 7z and add them to Wrye Bash it will not install them and they show up on the skipped tab, if they are named the same as the original files?

ex: Wrye Bash skips the file if it is named HighResTexturePack01.bsa or .esp.  Change the name and it works fine.

Anyone know why or how to fix?

Confirmed, steam will redownload them no matter what you try to do, in fact you have to make a customer service call to valve and have them remove the dlc from your account if you want to stop it, just leave it where it is.

Bash doesn't know how to read a bsa, you have to use 7z (or zip, rar).

I don't use Wrye Bash for them. I simply overwrite the ones in the data directory and make sure the esps are activated:

HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, and Skyrim - Textures.bsa

I keep a backup of the optimized versions just in case of a patch push but have yet to have them overwritten.