[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Looking at the DDSopt coe on Github, DDSopt seems to treat Fallout BSAs like Skyrim BSAs. I haven't looked at the issue you mention about DDSopt use when Skyrim isn't already registered. I wonder if it might be possible to add a registry entry that provides the necessary information.

**** SOLVED **** - whilst the shortcut was running as administrator the exe wasnt.  I went to x64.exe and set it to run as admin in compatibility and then once it was created a shortcut from that.  live and learn!

I'm obviously doing something silly. Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I downloaded ddsopt last night in prep for SR:LE and neos guide links to the step ddsopt quick start guide.I got the new .ini and copied it in and worked my way through all the screen shots fir setting up the settings which give good results. No problem.What threw me is that these settings are not saving. If i go back into ddsopt none of the settings changes i made are there anymore. I've tried twice more and nothing us saving.What am i missing? Surely you don't input all by hose settings each time you open it?Yes I'm running ddsopt as administrator and it's installed in its own directory and skyrim is not on my OS drive.Cheers for any help

Edited by Heliadhel

A new version of the batch files for the DDSopt guide is now available. The only change was the pre-optimization sorting batch file. It was changed based on some discussions in this thread over the past few months. The main changes are:

• Small facial textures that might be collapsed from 256x256 to 1x1 by DDSopt are no longer optimized. They will be available in the optimized texture archive with the optimized textures, and the Creation Kit and other tools that need full resolution versions of these facial textures will have them.
  • The pre-sorting provides 5 folders so that Exterior textures and Exterior normal maps have their own folder, providing more flexibility in selectively optimizing different categories of textures. All of the other similar batch files (those for Skyrim mods, vanilla Fallout textures, and Fallout mods) already do this.

The process for optimizing Fallout 3 vanilla textures was added to guide; it is in the same section as optimizing Fallout NV textures. It uses the same batch files as are used for Fallout NV.

Some simplifications in the process description for vanilla Skyrim optimization were made in the "DDSopt Optimization" tab.

Kelmych, two pictures in the FNV Quick-start Guide aren't showing correctly.

I looked at the current version of the guide (it changed today but the Fallout NV pictures haven't changed) and I don't see any problems with them. The text around them does need to be moved a little. What problem is there with the pictures so they can be fixed if needed? 

I looked at the current version of the guide (it changed today but the Fallout NV pictures haven't changed) and I don't see any problems with them. The text around them does need to be moved a little. What problem is there with the pictures so they can be fixed if needed? 

Nevermind. This post is somewhat old now and the pictures show up correctly.

Hey all, I was just following the DDS Optimization guide when I encountered a possible mistake in the guide. On the DDSopt Optimization tab, under the "Optimize the Vanilla Textures" after step 23, there's this

• When this processing is complete, using the same procedure choose Vanilla Uncompressed Textures/ as the current source in the upper window of the Browser Tab and again Vanilla Optimized/ remains as the current destination (lower window). The DDSopt Browser Tab will then look like Figure B3.
  • Change the Constraints Tab settings to match Figure S3, or H3 (Vanilla Uncompressed Textures) settings.
  • Click [Process] to complete the optimization.
  • At this point it's a good idea to also change the Constraints Tab settings back to the values in the screenshots when initially setting up DDSppt.

</ol>

Is this leftover from previous directions? There is no such folder in the working folder screenshots. Also seems kind of out of place that it tells you to set the constraints back to default again. 

Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks!

In the guide for optimizing vanilla BSAs, could someone please give an indication of the "Vanilla Optimized" folder sizes and file count after the process is completed? This way one can somewhat verify that everything went right.

Love these guides btw, amazing work!

A new version (2.78) of the batch files for the DDSopt guide was added. "2_Pre-optimization_2.78.bat" contains a small change that eliminates including the "facegendata" folder from the DLC BSAs in the optimized data. The textures in this folder aren't optimized so they don't need to be in the optimized texture folder for the 3 DLCs.

Does the screenshot Working Folder Screenshot after Pre-optimization still apply for 2.78? I only have 4864 files in "vanilla optimized" folder instead of 5571. Also, the only folders insiee it are HRDLC2, 3, and STD. Everything else is correct.

Edited by Octopuss

No, the file tree screenshot is now a little different. It was late when I uploaded the batch file and I didn't finish everything in the guide. The updated file tree screenshots are now in the guide.

The new batch file eliminates some files from the DLC BSAs that aren't needed. It changes the contents of the Vanilla Optimized folder after the Pre-optimization sorting (3 folders and the textures in those folder have been removed since they don't need to be in the optimized files).