Grass (and trees) wind animations

vurt

Question

I used to know this but i've forgotten. Do you weight paint the meshes to apply wind or was it vertex painting (on the alpha channel?) which was needed for the editor to apply wind? 

Need to research how to do it in Blender 3.0.... but would be good if i knew which one it is again :)

Thanks

4 answers to this question

8 hours ago, vurt said:

I used to know this but i've forgotten. Do you weight paint the meshes to apply wind or was it vertex painting (on the alpha channel?) which was needed for the editor to apply wind? 

Need to research how to do it in Blender 3.0.... but would be good if i knew which one it is again :)

Thanks

I don't know, but @TechAngel85 works quite a bit in the CK.

90% sure it's vertex paint in the alpha channel, black/white, one of them makes the wind stronger... we did make a tree where the branches themselves moved and then we had to use weight paint. 

it was a while ago so my memory is a bit rusty.

this was super easy to google just some 5'ish years ago, i remember doing it and reading about it, i think it was even in some wiki, many sources to chose from... now it's 0 results.  you'd think there would be some talk about it, reddit and all, but no.  i tried youtube too, nope, no guide.

I found a comment here that seems to indicate it is the vertex alpha: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/76108?tab=posts

There is a way to reduce the branch animations, either by .esp or vertex colors (enable vertex_alpha and open the nitrishapedata of the branches -> vertex colors and slide alpha up or down, down is less movement, up is more). All pines are in LE format anyway so it should be easy to fine tune, but many people seem to like the way they are right now so I hesitate to change them natively right now. Whether or not there are some other variables at play, such as weather mods is something I'm unaware of but wouldn't surprise me.