Make this make sense PLEASE.

Darklustre

Question

I decided to start a new profile of Skyrim in MO2 so I could try PerMa instead of SkyRe, and install Beth.ini. I don't think I really understood that profiles don't keep the changes you make in them separate from the other profiles, because I followed a tutorial video that said to remove all components of SkyRe from the mod list of the new profile. I started by removing Reproccer Scripts (or something similar) and Skyre. I found it was removed from the other profiles as well. I reinstalled SkyRe, but the scripts are lost and I can't remember how I got them to begin with (appreciate if you could tell me). Then, I tried running the game through SKSE executable. It just closed itself immediately. It kept doing this. I tried launching Skyrim Launcher and it ran the game, but with black box on left and right. Then I tried to validate game files. There were 9 missing and it reacquired. Now SKSE is working, but when you go to load the save, it says that Skyrim, the DLC, the Unofficial Patch, etc are missing. I should also mention that I uninstalled the 64bit Java 7 I had and installed the latest Java 32bit (or so I hope) to get it to run either ReProccer or PaMa, which wouldn't spit out a patch because of null point exemption that I'm hoping the 32bit fixes. I'm not sure if I should have done something after installing Java. I couldn't get PaMa to run because I couldn't find a .jar file in the path I was supposed to point the executable to. (Not great directions on PerMa site and I'm half an idiot to begin with.)

Further... I went into the Modify Executable for SKSE to see if the path was wrong and I find a bizarre change that I didn't make (that I can see). 

Binary: D:\Secondary Steam Library\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe

Start In: C:\Users\Erin\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim\mods\Perkus Maximus - Maximum Perk Overhaul\SkyProc Patchers\T3nd0_PatchusMaximus

The Start In is what I had just configured in the new profile for PaMa. Why has it applied itself to SKSE? I started a New Executable from scratch. I can't understand this.

I keep finding this weird bleed through and I don't know why it's happening. I'm guessing it's normal that, when you uncheck a mod in one profile, it unchecks in all the others too? Or when you remove a mod in a new profile, it removes it from all the older ones too? What I don't think is normal is for the executable path of SKSE to have changed to the new one I just created. Or in the game, the files get messed up. For instance, when I started Wylandriah's Quest to find her 3 objects that spawns the satchels in the 3 locations that weren't there before...I now start completely new games and the satchels are always there, in the locations without ever having spoken to Wylandriah or even gone to Riften. How can that happen? Mo2 is supposed to prevent that kind of corruption I thought?

Can someone please make sense of this? 

Edited by Darklustre

10 answers to this question

I didn't read everything but it looks like you need another MO2 instance. Profiles share most data between them, while instances are completely separate.

Each instance can manage multiple profiles:

• Instance A
    • Profile A1
    • Profile A2
  • Instance B
    • Profile B1
    • Profile B2
    • Profile B3

This video guide may help: Profiles VS Instances | Mod Organizer Guide Skyrim.

Beware multiple instances can require a lot of disk space for mod storage, as a same mod present in different instances is effectively installed as multiple copies of the same mod, one copy in each instance.

2 hours ago, Darklustre said:

I'm guessing it's normal that, when you uncheck a mod in one profile, it unchecks in all the others too?

No, that's not expected. The 'enabled/disabled' status of a mod is per-profile. The same mod can be enabled or disabled in different profiles. That is the main purpose of profiles.

Or when you remove a mod in a new profile, it removes it from all the older ones too?

Yes, that's how it's expected to work. Different profiles of a given instance share the same mod. Installing a mod adds it to all profiles, uninstalling it removes it from all profiles (of a specific instance - other instances are not affected if they contain the same mod, as it's a separate copy of that mod).

What I don't think is normal is for the executable path of SKSE to have changed to the new one I just created.

This is normal and expected. All profiles of a given instance share the same Executables configuration. To configure different executables for use by different profiles, either create a new executable (e.g. "SKSE for Profile #2") and manually select it to launch depending on which profile you're using, or use a separate instance, which uses a completely separate Executables configuration.

17 hours ago, Darklustre said:

I decided to start a new profile of Skyrim in MO2 so I could try PerMa instead of SkyRe, and install Beth.ini. I don't think I really understood that profiles don't keep the changes you make in them separate from the other profiles, because I followed a tutorial video that said to remove all components of SkyRe from the mod list of the new profile. I started by removing Reproccer Scripts (or something similar) and Skyre. I found it was removed from the other profiles as well. I reinstalled SkyRe, but the scripts are lost and I can't remember how I got them to begin with (appreciate if you could tell me). Then, I tried running the game through SKSE executable. It just closed itself immediately. It kept doing this. I tried launching Skyrim Launcher and it ran the game, but with black box on left and right. Then I tried to validate game files. There were 9 missing and it reacquired. Now SKSE is working, but when you go to load the save, it says that Skyrim, the DLC, the Unofficial Patch, etc are missing. I should also mention that I uninstalled the 64bit Java 7 I had and installed the latest Java 32bit (or so I hope) to get it to run either ReProccer or PaMa, which wouldn't spit out a patch because of null point exemption that I'm hoping the 32bit fixes. I'm not sure if I should have done something after installing Java. I couldn't get PaMa to run because I couldn't find a .jar file in the path I was supposed to point the executable to. (Not great directions on PerMa site and I'm half an idiot to begin with.)

Further... I went into the Modify Executable for SKSE to see if the path was wrong and I find a bizarre change that I didn't make (that I can see). 

Binary: D:\Secondary Steam Library\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe

Start In: C:\Users\Erin\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim\mods\Perkus Maximus - Maximum Perk Overhaul\SkyProc Patchers\T3nd0_PatchusMaximus

The Start In is what I had just configured in the new profile for PaMa. Why has it applied itself to SKSE? I started a New Executable from scratch. I can't understand this.

I keep finding this weird bleed through and I don't know why it's happening. I'm guessing it's normal that, when you uncheck a mod in one profile, it unchecks in all the others too? Or when you remove a mod in a new profile, it removes it from all the older ones too? What I don't think is normal is for the executable path of SKSE to have changed to the new one I just created. Or in the game, the files get messed up. For instance, when I started Wylandriah's Quest to find her 3 objects that spawns the satchels in the 3 locations that weren't there before...I now start completely new games and the satchels are always there, in the locations without ever having spoken to Wylandriah or even gone to Riften. How can that happen? Mo2 is supposed to prevent that kind of corruption I thought?

Can someone please make sense of this? 

In addition to what Mouse provided, please see this wiki article, which describes the differences between Profiles and Instances and use cases for each.

I said I started a new executable. I started one for PaMa, and that was the pathway for PaMa. I don't see how it should be that the path I put in a completely separate executable is suddenly found overwriting the path that was in SKSE, causing it not to be able to run the game, when it was working just fine for years before I created PaMa. 

Do you guys have any idea about the null point exemption? I thought installing the latest Java might fix it. That's the best solution I Googled for the problem with Reproccer and PaMa. Just curious if you might know an answer.  

4 hours ago, Darklustre said:

I said I started a new executable. I started one for PaMa, and that was the pathway for PaMa. I don't see how it should be that the path I put in a completely separate executable is suddenly found overwriting the path that was in SKSE, causing it not to be able to run the game, when it was working just fine for years before I created PaMa. 

Do you guys have any idea about the null point exemption? I thought installing the latest Java might fix it. That's the best solution I Googled for the problem with Reproccer and PaMa. Just curious if you might know an answer.  

I'm not familiar with using those apps, but your issues are almost certainly related to configuration and not java, etc. Those are most likely rabbit holes detracting from the issue. First off, don't install MO or the game in UAC-controlled paths under %USERPROFILE% or C:/Program Files or C:/ProgramData.

Second, enclose the paths you are adding to your MO executables in double quotes (MO may ultimately do that at runtime, but IDK) ... or better yet, install everything in short paths with no spaces. See our System Setup Guide for details on ensuring a 'good' config for modding - where to install and how to set up Steam and MO.

It sounds like you are on to something, but I'm not sure I'm following you. I have MO2 and game files in D:

This is what I have in my paths, could you please help me understand what to correct? 

Binary: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_361\bin\javaw.exe

Start in: C:\Users\Erin\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim\mods\ReProccer - Automated SkyRe patch generator\SkyProc Patchers\T3nd0_ReProccer

Arguments: -jar "C:\Users\Erin\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim\mods\ReProccer - Automated SkyRe patch generator\SkyProc Patchers\T3nd0_ReProccer\ReProccer.jar"

I have nothing but "force load libraries" checked. 

23 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

It sounds like you are on to something, but I'm not sure I'm following you. I have MO2 and game files in D:

This is what I have in my paths, could you please help me understand what to correct? 

Binary: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_361\bin\javaw.exe

Start in: C:\Users\Erin\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim\mods\ReProccer - Automated SkyRe patch generator\SkyProc Patchers\T3nd0_ReProccer

Arguments: -jar "C:\Users\Erin\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim\mods\ReProccer - Automated SkyRe patch generator\SkyProc Patchers\T3nd0_ReProccer\ReProccer.jar"

I have nothing but "force load libraries" checked. 

Binary and Start in both have spaces. This should be OK, and I assume MO handles the spaces properly by passing these strings to the OS in quotes ... otherwise, there would be known issues with lots of people. I actually have a couple of examples of this myself with no issues.

Your Arguments are in quotes, so no issue there.

I mainly meant to check your entire setup against our setup guide to verify you have a good config on it's surface. Particularly with respect to game/modding paths and MO installation. Most people's issues are related to things our setup guide preclude.

I just checked and see that Reproccer requires Java SE 7 that was release in 2011. The link is to Oracle's Java SE 7 archive and the latest version (Java 7u80) is at the top of the page.

I also see Reproccer Reborn is a port of Reproccer using zEdit that that works with both Skyrim Legedndary Edition and Skyrim Special Edition. The disadvantage here is that zEdit is built on am old version of xEdit but it may be an alternative if you can't get Reprocer working.

Yes, I had Java 7 and it did this. That is why I said I recently updated it. With PerMa, the instructions said that the newest Java, the better. So, since Java 7 was giving me this problem, I tried updating with the newest version and got the same error. It's driving me crazy. 

Greg, really impressed you found this. I'm going to take some time looking at RR. The problem is, it's freaking overwhelming just reading the directions. When you're supposed to monkey around with installing to files and doing 10-step procedures, I always end up screwing up something. Why can't anything ever be easy? Whew. I'm pretty happy you found this though. Ideally, if I could figure out what's wrong with this null point exemption, that would be the best option since I had gotten it to work once and have everything installed and executabled and whatnot.