Archery Skill Tree and Standing Stones

Hi all,

I've applied Step v2.1.0 and I'm trying to determine whether the Warrior Stone or Thief Stone will affect the archery skill tree. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work in the vanilla game, and whether or not Step v2.1.0 changes how it works?

Thanks!

For your stealth archer character, you'd want the Thief Stone. It accelerates all stealth skills + Archery. The Warrior Stone also accelerates Archery. STEP works like vanilla in this regard.

Check your current buffs and debuffs in the active effects tab of the Magic menu.

Save early and save often so you can always go back if you make a bad decision.

For simple questions about the vanilla game, I'd suggest searching online or looking at the UESP or Fandom wikis. You'll get your answers much quicker.

• +1 1

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

For your stealth archer character, you'd want the Thief Stone. It accelerates all stealth skills + Archery. The Warrior Stone also accelerates Archery. STEP works like vanilla in this regard.

Thanks, this is what I was after. I had read elsewhere that after recent changes, only the Warrior Stone affected Archery.

24 minutes ago, Paes said:

I had read elsewhere that after recent changes, only the Warrior Stone affected Archery.

What you read elsewhere is correct, and I was wrong. The Unofficial patch (USSEP), which STEP uses, changes it so that Archery is only accelerated by the Warrior Stone.

My bad, sorry for the confusion. Now you have an interesting choice to make for your stealth archer.

16 hours ago, Mousetick said:

What you read elsewhere is correct, and I was wrong. The Unofficial patch (USSEP), which STEP uses, changes it so that Archery is only accelerated by the Warrior Stone.

My bad, sorry for the confusion. Now you have an interesting choice to make for your stealth archer.

15 hours ago, z929669 said:

Seems like a USSEP overstep, but hard to say without seeing all of the changes it makes to the Stones. There's this mod, which would provide a convenient comparison.

Yeah, we'd need to track down the bug and read what was done and why on their changelog. If it's an overstep, it can be reported. Arthmoor has removed things in the past that I pointed out. Most recent one was the removal of a couple sleeping bags that was blocking AE content. I reported the one bag, but upon investigation two in the area were removed as they weren't connected to any NPC for sleeping or anything else and there was no record of why they were placed...just seemed someone along the line placed them for décor, so they were removed.

EDIT:

USKP v1.2 - (2012-09-01)
Archery is in the wrong guardian stone perk. It has been moved to the Warrior Stone perk bringing it in line with the Oghma Infinium and Bards College rewards, as well as the official game strategy guide. (Bug #2335)

Not sure about all that as being applicable to moving marksman perks from thief to Warrior Stone. Thieves, by definition, aren't warriors. Combat isn't the thief's forte ... evasion is. But thieves need to defend themselves at times. Such a person wouldn't wield a close-combat weapon (including daggers) but rather a ranged weapon like a sling or a bow. This is fairly common knowledge where D&D and the roots of RPGs are concerned.

The mod I linked gets it right, and the USSEP change doesn't, IMO ... at least with respect to the marksmanship buff.