Dynamic Treasure Map Journal (by Dr Mabuse)

Mousetick

Discussion topic:
Dynamic Treasure Map Journal by Dr Mabuse
Wiki Link

A journal that displays treasure maps as you read them and tracks which treasure you have already found. No SKSE necessary. All Skyrim SE/AE versions should be compatible. ESP-FE.

Notes:

• This is just an immersive way of keeping all your treasure maps in one place and keeping track of which ones you've found.
  • Supports vanilla treasure maps, as well as LotD ones from the same journal.
  • Supports New Treasure Hunt SSE and Treasure Hunter for SSE in a separate journal.
  • Uses Book Covers Skyrim assets.

Not quite similar, but along the same line of helping the player in searching for items without cheating and in an immersive way:

Adds a journal in Labyrinthian giving direction on where to locate all eight Dragon Priest masks.

Adds a book to the game giving out the location of the Stones of Barenziah, purchasable from Urag (Winterhold). The Puzzle version (recommended) doesn't give the exact location and how to find the stone, but instead gives a puzzle that hints to the location and directions on how and where to find the stone.

This mod is for LE. The MA says it works fine as is on SE, but I'd recommend converting it to SE by simply loading and saving its plugin in CK, which is what I've done.

Unlike Dynamic Treasure Map Journal, these 2 mods are not dynamic: they don't keep track of items found.

20 minutes ago, duy123a said:

The idea is great but the way to get the book is not...

Would you rather it being automatically added to your inventory at game start?

A lot of mods do that, they add their own stuff (hint books, configuration spells or powers, misc. junk) to the player's inventory upon exiting character creation. It's convenient, but it's not immersive. The journal tracks the treasure maps and found treasures, whether you have it with you nor not. You can pick it up later, when you stumble upon it by chance or specifically go look for it.

9 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Would you rather it being automatically added to your inventory at game start?

I would prefer organization from the start, yes.  As you find each treasure map, it is added to some sort of binder so all treasure maps are in one place in your inventory.  This particular mod separates treasure maps into two books, both of which the player must find.  The author mentions he eventually figured out how to add them all into one book but requires too much rework to update the mod.

On another note, I don't play survival mode either, I literally have zero interest in that (I loath survival games).  You mentioned immersive-ness which is why I added this note.  So maybe that's why I would prefer some sort of map organization from the start.

Edited by Kattmandu

59 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

I would prefer organization from the start, yes.

Ok, fair enough. There are instructions on the mod page to move the journal to the player using the console, so you can pick it up whenever and wherever you are. You could do that in the abandoned prison for instance before talking to Mara (with ASLAL).

It's not a regular book so you can't just use player.additem in the console, you need to move it as you would with an NPC for instance.

I like that you must work to get it, but I would prefer if the very first treasure to which you are alerted is a map to the location of this book under a pretense of some minor 'real' treasure. Or maybe in a minor quest very early in the game using some other pretense.

But I also understand wanting it to be effectively incorporated into your tool set at the start. I'd be OK with that.

On the note of 'survivalness' ... I am an ultra-realism fan for RPGs (keeps them from feeling overly task oriented to me). I prefer Requiem for my own Skyrim gaming (on hold now for approx the past 10 years until EVERYTHING is ready ... maybe never). In my view, a really good RPG should take thousands of hours to complete for a single playthrough over maybe several years ... not at all unrealistic, I know.

For a highly enjoyable psuedo-RPG XP in the interim, I always go to Dragon Age: Inquisition. What a rich world that is.