Weird Textures

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

It looks like that model is using the wrong texture. Check the texture and model using MIC to see the name and MO to find where it's coming from.

image.thumb.png.14e897d633f7743ac6847848c20d9460.png

I found the following Data in MO:

image.thumb.png.b2713dced12bca501110a9eddfeed0ee.png

That's just the model but I can't find any textures through filtering with "CandleHornTable01".

It may be confusing due to the name, but CandelHornTable01 is the candle horns that are placed on top of the table. You should look at the table itself and I believe the mesh should be in meshes\furniture. Once you know which mesh it is, you'll need to open the mesh in nifskope to find the name of the textures. I think the textures are in BSFadeNode/BSTriShape/BSLightingShaderProperty/BSShaderTextureSet.

image.png

You can get all the texture information, and more, directly from the (More Informative) Console, without going into NifSkope. Although textures paths can be inspected in NifSkope, it's better to look them up in the console, because they can be overridden (sometimes, not always) in-game by plugin using Texture Sets. For example, the mesh for a piece of furniture may use some wood textures by default, but different wood textures may be applied at runtime by a plugin.

To see the names and paths of actual textures used for a specific object, move the cursor over the Textures field in the console, and press Shift or Ctrl. A number in brackets, to the right of a field, indicates there is more information available:

console1.jpg

Sometimes there is more information in a panel, or more panels that can fit on the screen. This is indicated by left, right, up or down arrows, respectively. To scroll horizontally or vertically, mouse the cursor over an arrow and press Ctrl or Shift:

console2.jpg

The MIC UI and its controls can be a little weird to navigate, but it's worth getting accustomed to it. Basically a normal mouse click is interpreted as selecting an object (possibly in the background behind the UI). To 'click' an item in the UI, the Ctrl or Shift key is used instead of the mouse button.

Edit: Corrected MIC UI instructions and screenshots. I wasn't thinking straight. I've got so used to it pressing Ctrl instead of clicking with the mouse that I forgot how it actually works lol.

Edited by Mousetick
Correction
  • +1 1

On 12/3/2022 at 2:52 PM, Greg said:

It may be confusing due to the name, but CandelHornTable01 is the candle horns that are placed on top of the table. You should look at the table itself and I believe the mesh should be in meshes\furniture. Once you know which mesh it is, you'll need to open the mesh in nifskope to find the name of the textures. I think the textures are in BSFadeNode/BSTriShape/BSLightingShaderProperty/BSShaderTextureSet.

image.png

22 hours ago, Mousetick said:

You can get all the texture information, and more, directly from the (More Informative) Console, without going into NifSkope. Although textures paths can be inspected in NifSkope, it's better to look them up in the console, because they can be overridden (sometimes, not always) in-game by plugin using Texture Sets. For example, the mesh for a piece of furniture may use some wood textures by default, but different wood textures may be applied at runtime by a plugin.

To see the names and paths of actual textures used for a specific object, move the cursor over the Textures field in the console, and press Shift or Ctrl. A number in brackets, to the right of a field, indicates there is more information available:

console1.jpg

Sometimes there is more information in a panel, or more panels that can fit on the screen. This is indicated by left, right, up or down arrows, respectively. To scroll horizontally or vertically, mouse the cursor over an arrow and press Ctrl or Shift:

console2.jpg

The MIC UI and its controls can be a little weird to navigate, but it's worth getting accustomed to it. Basically a normal mouse click is interpreted as selecting an object (possibly in the background behind the UI). To 'click' an item in the UI, the Ctrl or Shift key is used instead of the mouse button.

Edit: Corrected MIC UI instructions and screenshots. I wasn't thinking straight. I've got so used to it pressing Ctrl instead of clicking with the mouse that I forgot how it actually works lol.

image.thumb.png.685b9595343fbc1db3d142aa8acd9336.png

That's what I've found. It only shows "CandleHornTable01", doesn't matter where I click or how I look at the table. What can I do now?

Click on an object to select it. If the console displays the wrong one, cycle through nearby objects using the mouse wheel. Scroll the wheel until the correct object is selected.

There are objects that the console can't target, for some reason. For example, the models in Majestic Mountains 4.0 that use dirt or moss shading. This shouldn't be the case here.

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Click on an object to select it. If the console displays the wrong one, cycle through nearby objects using the mouse wheel. Scroll the wheel until the correct object is selected.

There are objects that the console can't target, for some reason. For example, the models in Majestic Mountains 4.0 that use dirt or moss shading. This shouldn't be the case here.

Thanks, now I found the right Textures:

image.thumb.png.2bc9b60a7863ff9abfa710a0ef2e20eb.png

The next step is a little more complicated as it requires comparing meshes in NifSkope. Here are the results.

• The vanilla BYOHUpperEndTable02.nif model has 3 shapes and uses a single texture: FurnitureWood01.
  • This model is overwritten by SMIM which renames 1 shape, adds 3 shapes, and uses 3 more textures, 1 for each new shape: Stump_Bottom_for_FurnitureUC, Table_Leg_Bar_Thin, and Table_Wood_SinglePiece.
  • The CC plugin applies an alternate texture to the model: dresser01. But it doesn't work properly on the SMIMed mesh (due to splitting the model into more shapes).

You can verify this easily by (temporarily) hiding the SMIM version of BYOHUpperEndTable02.nif in MO2 to revert to the vanilla version. This table in the CC module should now look ok in-game.

It's definitely a bug. I'd say it's probably SMIM's fault by creating an incompatible version of the table. At the time SMIM was created, this model was used exclusively by the Hearthfires DLC, which doesn't apply alternate textures to it, so everything was working fine.

This could be fixed by renaming SMIM's version of the table and creating a patch plugin to patch Hearthfires.esm. Not sure if it'd be worth the hassle though.

Anyhow, unless you don't plan on using/building any vanilla player homes, I'd recommend you keep the SMIM version of the table model, and just ignore the visual glitch in the CC module.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

The next step is a little more complicated as it requires comparing meshes in NifSkope. Here are the results.

• The vanilla BYOHUpperEndTable02.nif model has 3 shapes and uses a single texture: FurnitureWood01.
  • This model is overwritten by SMIM which renames 1 shape, adds 3 shapes, and uses 3 more textures, 1 for each new shape: Stump_Bottom_for_FurnitureUC, Table_Leg_Bar_Thin, and Table_Wood_SinglePiece.
  • The CC plugin applies an alternate texture to the model: dresser01. But it doesn't work properly on the SMIMed mesh (due to splitting the model into more shapes).

You can verify this easily by (temporarily) hiding the SMIM version of BYOHUpperEndTable02.nif in MO2 to revert to the vanilla version. This table in the CC module should now look ok in-game.

It's definitely a bug. I'd say it's probably SMIM's fault by creating an incompatible version of the table. At the time SMIM was created, this model was used exclusively by the Hearthfires DLC, which doesn't apply alternate textures to it, so everything was working fine.

This could be fixed by renaming SMIM's version of the table and creating a patch plugin to patch Hearthfires.esm. Not sure if it'd be worth the hassle though.

Anyhow, unless you don't plan on using/building any vanilla player homes, I'd recommend you keep the SMIM version of the table model, and just ignore the visual glitch in the CC module.

Interesting. Thanks for the help. It doesn't bother me that much. I was just surprised because it's the only texture glitch I've found so far.