DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 180

sheson

5 hours ago, vektor9999 said:

Thanks a lot, will it also fix the less density i have in 3.84 compared to 3.65?

I compared Alpha 65 and the new Alpha 86 and have identical file sizes for Tamriel.4.*.*.bto at grass LOD density 25%.

The first three of these linked images were snapped with grass LOD generated using settings for NGIO, TexGen, and DynDOLOD that are recommended by the S.T.E.P. folks.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

As you can see in each image there is a "band" of scorched earth that looks to my uneducated eyes like LOD8 maybe?

Is this normal (I actually hope it isn't)?

I've chatted with the good folks at S.T.E.P. and, over the course of a few days, we pedantically examined all of the tool and mod settings and could not identify a culprit.

If I can provide more info (logs, config files, ini settings, anything) please let me know.

By the way, the fourth linked image was snapped when the DynDOLOD mode was set to zero in NGIO's GrassControl.config.txt.
According to my understanding of the setting that takes DynDOLOD out of the picture (so to speak) but it also completely tanks performance (FPS < 20).

Image 4

Thank you very much for any information or advice you may offer.

Edited by Mephitic
Revised text

3 hours ago, Mephitic said:

The first three of these linked images were snapped with grass LOD generated using settings for NGIO, TexGen, and DynDOLOD that are recommended by the S.T.E.P. folks.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

As you can see in each image there is a "band" of scorched earth that looks to my uneducated eyes like LOD8 maybe?

Is this normal (I actually hope it isn't)?

I've chatted with the good folks at S.T.E.P. and, over the course of a few days, we pedantically examined all of the tool and mod settings and could not identify a culprit.

If I can provide more info (logs, config files, ini settings, anything) please let me know.

By the way, the fourth linked image was snapped when the DynDOLOD mode was set to zero in NGIO's GrassControl.config.txt.
According to my understanding of the setting that takes DynDOLOD out of the picture (so to speak) but it also completely tanks performance (FPS < 20).

Image 4

Thank you very much for any information or advice you may offer.

Post the log, debug log as explained on first post and the GrassControl.config.txt.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD.

Grass LOD generated with mode 1 requires DynDOLODGrassMode=1 in GrassControl.config.txt.
Grass LOD generated with mode 2 requires DynDOLODGrassMode=2 in GrassControl.config.txt.

9 hours ago, sheson said:

Post the log, debug log as explained on first post and the GrassControl.config.txt.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD.

Grass LOD generated with mode 1 requires DynDOLODGrassMode=1 in GrassControl.config.txt.
Grass LOD generated with mode 2 requires DynDOLODGrassMode=2 in GrassControl.config.txt.

DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt

GrassControl.config.txt

I know well about DynDOLODGrassMode matching up. I've experimented with almost every combination of various settings imaginable to influence this situation, to no avail.

For this generation I've reset all the settings - in TexGen, DynDOILOD, NGIO, and game INI files - to those found in the S.T.E.P. guide here.

Edited by Mephitic

2 hours ago, Mephitic said:

DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt

GrassControl.config.txt

I know well about DynDOLODGrassMode matching up. I've experimented with almost every combination of various settings imaginable to influence this situation, to no avail.

For this generation I've reset all the settings - in TexGen, DynDOILOD, NGIO, and game INI files - to those found in the S.T.E.P. guide here.

Grass LOD is generated to object LOD Level 4. Make sure the LOD distances for the different LOD levels do not set lower values for higher levels. E.g. the max distance for LOD level 8 needs to be further than the max distance for LOD level 4. https://dyndolod.info/Help/Object-LOD#Settings

When in the game, open console, type tll to toggle LOD off. If grass LOD was generated with mode 1, you will see that it reached to the active cells border. If grass LOD starts a couple cells further out it was generated with mode 2. https://dyndolod.info/How-LOD-Works

NGIO is responsible for rendering the full grass to either of the two desired distances with the corresponding DynDOLODGrassMode setting in GrassControl.config.txt.

Make sure to edit the right GrassControl.config.txt file which is actually used by NGIO. Restore default GrassControl.config.txt and only change DynDOLODGrassMode. Make sure the file can be can be read by the game/NGIO. Make sure NGIO actually runs.

26 minutes ago, sheson said:

Grass LOD is generated to object LOD Level 4. Make sure the LOD distances for the different LOD levels do not set lower values for higher levels. E.g. the max distance for LOD level 8 needs to be further than the max distance for LOD level 4. https://dyndolod.info/Help/Object-LOD#Settings

When in the game, open console, type tll to toggle LOD off. If grass LOD was generated with mode 1, you will see that it reached to the active cells border. If grass LOD starts a couple cells further out it was generated with mode 2.

NGIO is responsible for rendering the full grass to the desired distance with the corresponding DynDOLODGrassMode setting in GrassControl.config.txt.

Make sure to edit the right GrassControl.config.txt file which is actually used by NGIO. Restore default GrassControl.config.txt and only change DynDOLODGrassMode. Make sure the file can be can be read by the game/NGIO. Make sure NGIO actually runs.

So I'm not sure what this means but this is with tll toggled.

These are my terrain settings

fBlockLevel0Distance=57344
	fBlockLevel1Distance=147456
	fBlockMaximumDistance=327680

DynDOLODGrassMode and DynDOLOD's config for mode are both set to 1.

I'm quite sure I'm modifying the correct files - when they're modified.

1 hour ago, Mephitic said:

So I'm not sure what this means but this is with tll toggled.

These are my terrain settings

fBlockLevel0Distance=57344
	fBlockLevel1Distance=147456
	fBlockMaximumDistance=327680

DynDOLODGrassMode and DynDOLOD's config for mode are both set to 1.

I'm quite sure I'm modifying the correct files - when they're modified.

You can see that the full grass does not render to the edge of the active cells, which it usually does with when NGIO is active and the config it uses sets DynDOLODGrassMode=1.
If you set DynDOLODGrassMode=2, it should even render beyond the active cells, provided uLargeRefLODGridSize is greater than 5.

If editing the files does not change anything, then either NGIO is not running, the file can not be read or parsed for some reason or the the file it is reading is not being changed.

If the config define DynDOLODGrassMode=0 (or the mode is not set for whatever reason), then setting ExtendGrassDistance = True, ExtendGrassCount = True and keep increasing OverwriteGrassDistance you would expect to see the full grass distance to increase as well, but in a circle around player.

Check the .Net Framework ..\NetScriptFramework\NetScriptFramework.log.txt that the GrassControl.dll is loaded. I am not aware of NGIO itself writing to a log.

Whatever keeps the full grass render distance low has nothing to do with the LOD or DynDOLOD. You might want to ask on the mods comments.

17 minutes ago, sheson said:

You can see that the full grass does not render to the edge of the active cells, which it usually does with when NGIO is active and the config it uses sets DynDOLODGrassMode=1.
If you set DynDOLODGrassMode=2, it should even render beyond the active cells, provided uLargeRefLODGridSize is greater than 5.

If editing the files does not change anything, then either NGIO is not running, the file can not be read or parsed for some reason or the the file it is reading is not being changed.

If the config define DynDOLODGrassMode=0 (or the mode is not set for whatever reason), then setting ExtendGrassDistance = True, ExtendGrassCount = True and keep increasing OverwriteGrassDistance you would expect to see the full grass distance to increase as well, but in a circle around player.

Check the .Net Framework ..\NetScriptFramework\NetScriptFramework.log.txt that the GrassControl.dll is loaded. I am not aware of NGIO itself writing to a log.

Whatever keeps the full grass render distance low has nothing to do with the LOD or DynDOLOD. You might want to ask on the mods comments.

Thank you for your help and advice, I'll travel that road.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:21 AM, vektor9999 said:

Hey,

So far i was using Dyndolod 3.65 with grass lod (density 25)

This is what i have so far ==> vBiwt51.jpg

Now with Dyndolod 3.84 (same load order and density 50) ==> cAzxgyO.jpg

Is this normal that the new dyndolod version gives less grass lods for higher density?

I also tried 3.85 and i have no grass lod using this version because for some reason the LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_xxx.txt has not been generated (always on the same load order)

Thank you for your work and help ;)

Hey Sheson,

Thx for your 3.86 update, now the grass lod has been generated, but i still have the same issue related to density.

v 3.86 gives less grass lod density at 50 than 3.65 at 25 (screen shots above still apply)

Edited by vektor9999

1 hour ago, vektor9999 said:

Hey Sheson,

Thx for your 3.86 update, now the grass lod has been generated, but i still have the same issue related to density.

v 3.86 gives less grass lod density at 50 than 3.65 at 25 (screen shots above still apply)

Compare file size of some LOD level 4 BTO between the versions at same density setting to see if they are closely the same.

Compare if content/number of grass LOD billboards in ..\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt is the same.

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Compare file size of some LOD level 4 BTO between the versions to see if they are closely the same.

Hey Sheson,

I'm coming back to you with some test results. For the test i used both versions (3.65/3.86) at density 25%

For DynDOLOD v 3.65

AidHTJV.jpg

For DynDOLOD v 3.86

QBvlOAi.jpg

I used the "You are here" menu from dyndolod

vYQbyry.png

The related bto files size

L9QTxnD.jpg

As you can see there is a +/- 8mb difference.

I hope this can help.

Thank you.

Edited by vektor9999

16 minutes ago, vektor9999 said:

Hey Sheson,

I'm coming back to you with some test results. For the test i used both versions (3.65/3.86) at density 25%

The related bto files size

L9QTxnD.jpg

As you can see there is a +/- 8mb difference.

I hope this can help.

Thank you.

Compare if content/number of grass LOD billboards in ..\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt is the same.

Grass cache stayed the same when generating with the two versions?

20 minutes ago, sheson said:

Grass cache stayed the same when generating with the two versions?

For 3.65 ==> i have 104 lines for \Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt

For 3.86 ==> i have 91 lines for \Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt

Grass cache has not been changed, i used the same

EDIT : I compared the 2 files

okW85UW.jpg

Edited by vektor9999

29 minutes ago, vektor9999 said:

For 3.65 ==> i have 104 lines for \Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt

For 3.86 ==> i have 91 lines for \Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt

Grass cache has not been changed, i used the same

EDIT : I compared the 2 files

okW85UW.jpg

Lets assume for now that those grass LOD billboards missing is why you see less grass LOD being generated in the BTO.

Compare TexGen output ..\textures\terrain\lodgen\TexGen_SSE_Grass_Billboards.txt of the two versions.

We would expect the same grass LOD billboards to be missing.

Then generate TexGen output with Alpha-87, see if they are still missing or not.

19 minutes ago, sheson said:

Lets assume for now that those grass LOD billboards missing is why you see less grass LOD being generated in the BTO.

Compare TexGen output ..\textures\terrain\lodgen\TexGen_SSE_Grass_Billboards.txt of the two versions.

We would expect the same grass LOD billboards to be missing.

Then generate TexGen output with Alpha-87, see if they are still missing or not.

I have this

ECGPcta.jpg

I'm gonna test the v 3.87

Thanks a lot ;)