DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

During LOD generation, I had an error, these are the last few lines (the relevant ones) of text on the DynDOLOD screen:

[06:36] [DLC01FalmerValley] Processing 7363 references
[06:37] Access violation at address 000000000041918F in module 'DynDOLODx64.exe'. Read of address 0000000000000000

bugreport.txt attached and the relevant log.

It turned out the mod The Blackest Reaches was the culprit and I had to remove it so I could generate LOD.

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt

Edited by Katarsi
misspelling, adding log, removed bugreport

2 hours ago, Zackmaniac said:

Hi gang (and Sheson). I've suffered in silence on this one for a while as I tried to figure out a solution on my own, but I just haven't been able to make any progress because I'm still fairly new to modding.

(My logs are linked here, but I've boiled the issue down as best I can below, in case you don't want to slog through them): DynDOLOD Logs

My problem is that whenever I run DynDOLOD (3.00 Alpha33), I get literally hundreds of warning messages, mostly of two types. I'm hoping someone can tell me in relatively simple terms what these warnings mean.

1) I get hundreds of "Warning: Overwritten large reference in..." messages, mostly relating to environment mods -- JK's Skyrim, The Borders of Skyrim, Realistic Water Two, Depths of Skyrim, and a few others. A couple examples: 

<Warning: Overwritten large reference in JKs Skyrim.esp [REFR:00012DF6] (places Farmhouse02 [STAT:00000846] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of Riverwood04 [CELL:00009731] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 5,-12))>

<Warning: Overwritten large reference in tposcthebordersofskyrim.esp [REFR:000EE3F7] (places MountainTrim01_LightSN [STAT:00030204] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of [CELL:000090B2] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 25,8))>

2) I also get dozens of "Warning: Initially disabled large reference in..." messages, all related to Realistic Water Two. One example:

<Warning: Initially disabled large reference in RealisticWaterTwo - Resources.esm [REFR:000BB9E9] (places RockCliff02Rocks01 [STAT:0002BABB] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of [CELL:000090D2] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 24,7))>

I've been able to successfully generate DynDOLOD output in the past without any issues at all, and I can't figure out what's changed since then. Also, everything *seems* to be working fine in-game -- good LODs, minimal pop-in, nothing out of the ordinary. But clearly there's some sort of error on my part.

Can someone who fully understands DynDOLOD (which I clearly do not) tell me what's happening to generate these warnings, so that I can set about trying to fix them? I feel like it's something really obvious that I'm doing wrong. Many, many thanks!

The large references bugs and the warning messages have been discussed plenty of time before and are not new to DynDOLOD 3 alpha.
The large reference bugs have been documented and explained years ago already in ..\DynDOLOD\Docs\SkyrimSELargeRefGrid\SkyrimSE-LargeRefGrid.html
Since ever DynDOLOD prints the list of overwritten large references that trigger these bugs. The main "fix" is still the same: Only ESM flagged plugins should overwrite large references.

1 hour ago, Katarsi said:

During LOD generation, I had an error, these are the last few lines (the relevant ones) of text on the DynDOLOD screen:

[06:36] [DLC01FalmerValley] Processing 7363 references
[06:37] Access violation at address 000000000041918F in module 'DynDOLODx64.exe'. Read of address 0000000000000000

bugreport.txt attached and the relevant log.

It turned out the mod The Blackest Reaches was the culprit and I had to remove it so I could generate LOD.

bugreport.txt 64.24 kB · 1 download

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt 128.92 kB · 1 download

I could yet not replicate an error with that plugin loaded.

Can you also upload the DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt?
You will have to rerun with the plugin active, as the debug is replaced with every session.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

I could yet not replicate an error with that plugin loaded.

Can you also upload the DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt?
You will have to rerun with the plugin active, as the debug is replaced with every session.

Well... This is weird.

I generated LOD again with The Blackest Reaches active and the error didn't reoccur. LOD generation went smoothly.

However, I did something before I generated it again: namely, I followed instructions on Underside Help Doc. I deactivated DVLaSS plugin only and left everything else from that mod in the load order. Then I set TerrainUnderside=1 and uncommented DoubleSidedTextureMask=mountain,mtn.

In the previous run that gave me an error, DVLaSS mod was removed entirely, however I didn't follow instructions from Underside Help.

I'm not sure how this helped, but apparently it did. Here is my new debug log if you still wish to see it, though: https://easyupload.io/mw0sa7

Edited by Katarsi

41 minutes ago, Katarsi said:

Well... This is weird.

I generated LOD again with The Blackest Reaches active and the error didn't reoccur. LOD generation went smoothly.

However, I did something before I generated it again: namely, I followed instructions on Underside Help Doc. I deactivated DVLaSS plugin only and left everything else from that mod in the load order. Then I set TerrainUnderside=1 and uncommented DoubleSidedTextureMask=mountain,mtn.

In the previous run that gave me an error, DVLaSS mod was removed entirely, however I didn't follow instructions from Underside Help.

I'm not sure how this helped, but apparently it did. Here is my new debug log if you still wish to see it, though: https://easyupload.io/mw0sa7

I have always run successfully with DVLaSS  but with the underside deactivated and TerrainUnderside=1 in DynDOLOD

12 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I have always run successfully with DVLaSS  but with the underside deactivated and TerrainUnderside=1 in DynDOLOD

You mean with Tamriel_Underside.nif removed from DVLaSS? But you left the plugin active?

Just now, Katarsi said:

You mean with Tamriel_Underside.nif removed from DVLaSS? But you left the plugin active?

Yes, I use DVLaSS, but I do not use the optional underside. I downloaded it, but upon finding that DynDOLOD 3 has it's own underside gen, I reasoned that DVLaSS's was redundant. I have never had issues and have honestly never tried to generate with DVLaSS Underside active. So I cannot speak to the error you had.

Just confirming that this is a viable option for me as well.

35 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Yes, I use DVLaSS, but I do not use the optional underside. I downloaded it, but upon finding that DynDOLOD 3 has it's own underside gen, I reasoned that DVLaSS's was redundant. I have never had issues and have honestly never tried to generate with DVLaSS Underside active. So I cannot speak to the error you had.

Just confirming that this is a viable option for me as well.

Thank you, that worked as well :) 

On 5/13/2021 at 3:48 AM, sheson said:

Terrain is the ground you walk on. It can not really be clicked. Everything else is objects. Looking at the foggy images I probably though we looking at a rocky mountain model.

Rectangular holes in the LOD that appear/disappear when moving form one cell to the next is the broken vanilla occlusion data or outdated occlusion data.

Hey Sheson, I've tried regenerating Occlusion but the problem persists. Thoughts? Any other things I should provide?

6 minutes ago, gmahadhika91 said:

Hey Sheson, I've tried regenerating Occlusion but the problem persists. Thoughts? Any other things I should provide?

Make screenshots and provide details of "the problem".

11 hours ago, sheson said:

The large references bugs and the warning messages have been discussed plenty of time before and are not new to DynDOLOD 3 alpha.
The large reference bugs have been documented and explained years ago already in ..\DynDOLOD\Docs\SkyrimSELargeRefGrid\SkyrimSE-LargeRefGrid.html
Since ever DynDOLOD prints the list of overwritten large references that trigger these bugs. The main "fix" is still the same: Only ESM flagged plugins should overwrite large references.

Sheson, thanks for your response.

The two posts you linked here were actually the only two mentions of these warnings I could find when I first started looking into this, and neither shed much light on how to fix the issues. (One of them is essentially you saying "yeah, these are errors and you should fix them.")

And while I've read through all of the DynDOLOD documentation, it's very technical for someone who doesn't have a lot of prior experience with how the Skyrim engine works. (SkyrimSE-LargeRefGrid.html is particularly tough to get a handle on.) What may seem self-explanatory to you, the creator of DynDOLOD, is not so for some of us.

It's certainly not your job to explain or teach this stuff to anyone -- it's the user's responsibility to understand how this extremely useful (and free) piece of software works. And the fact you're so active and responsive on this forum is commendable.

But with most areas of knowledge -- languages, science, whatever -- there are tons of resources geared towards all kinds of levels of experience that people can tap into. With Skyrim LOD generation in general and DynDOLOD in particular, I haven't yet found the knowledge resources that bridge the gap between newb-friendly YouTube tutorials and the very comprehensive and technical nature of your documentation. (In fact, most places suggest posting here and asking for help when running into trouble.) But I'll keep looking and trying to learn. Thanks again for the reply.

20 hours ago, sheson said:

I would assume it hat to do with the large reference grid, right?

Yeah, I made some ini tweaks to improve distant mountain/skinned tree lod without realising the consequences... all sorted now!

7 hours ago, Zackmaniac said:

Sheson, thanks for your response.

The two posts you linked here were actually the only two mentions of these warnings I could find when I first started looking into this, and neither shed much light on how to fix the issues. (One of them is essentially you saying "yeah, these are errors and you should fix them.")

And while I've read through all of the DynDOLOD documentation, it's very technical for someone who doesn't have a lot of prior experience with how the Skyrim engine works. (SkyrimSE-LargeRefGrid.html is particularly tough to get a handle on.) What may seem self-explanatory to you, the creator of DynDOLOD, is not so for some of us.

It's certainly not your job to explain or teach this stuff to anyone -- it's the user's responsibility to understand how this extremely useful (and free) piece of software works. And the fact you're so active and responsive on this forum is commendable.

But with most areas of knowledge -- languages, science, whatever -- there are tons of resources geared towards all kinds of levels of experience that people can tap into. With Skyrim LOD generation in general and DynDOLOD in particular, I haven't yet found the knowledge resources that bridge the gap between newb-friendly YouTube tutorials and the very comprehensive and technical nature of your documentation. (In fact, most places suggest posting here and asking for help when running into trouble.) But I'll keep looking and trying to learn. Thanks again for the reply.

Keep in mind that everything in this is thread is for the alpha test. Many concepts and especially game related things are already part of earlier versions and other the threads.

If the explanations or linked posts so far leave questions, feel free to ask more specific questions.
"Terminilogy" in..\DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD_Manual.html and ..\DynDOLOD\docs\help\Terminology.html may help.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:14 AM, gmahadhika91 said:

Hi Sheson, I've yet again found a bugged mountain. It's just North East of Windhelm, and I can confirm this bug is present with only a handful of mods namely:
- USSEP
- Alternate Start
- Open Cities

Hence, I've made sure there are no .bto files installed. DynDOLOD generation doesn't solve this problem. Also, the mountain in question has no collision and it has no information when clicked. How do I fix this? Thank you again.

https://imgur.com/a/7dkmuYf

Uuuh...I did. It's this one.

56 minutes ago, gmahadhika91 said:

Uuuh...I did. It's this one.

Oh those foggy screenshots where we can not really see anything. Use console to set a clear weather. Use wait so it is day light. Provide position information form where "the problem" can be seen.
You told use there is no BTO.  Without a BTO there can be no object LOD mountain. The only way terrain LOD is not showing / disabled in the distance  is via occlusion data or the usual fade because the max render distance of about a 100 cells has been reached.

Again, that far out, there is no game data in the games plugins. It has been removed by Bethesda. For the position shown in the screenshot there no BTO files for any of the 3 LOD levels.

xLODGen/DynDOLOD can only generate LOD for data that exists. For the really far away areas beyond the that the game still uses vanilla LOD files.

Test with a vanilla game.