DynDolod - improve time taken to generate?

darkglobe87

TL;DR - my CPU isn't up to the job. I know. But can I make DynDoLOD run quicker?

Longer version -  currently running:
i3-7100
16Gb RAM
SSD 500Gb (samsung EVO 970)
Radeon RX 580
Win 10

I know my system isn't really up to scratch on the CPU side, but DynDoLOD seems to show me differing amounts of info every time I run it. Sometimes after 10 mins I'm getting black command prompt style popups showing the LOD generation, other times it gets to about 10-12 minutes in and then freezes, with no popup windows. 

It's almost as if it's running slower some times. Like, it doesn't even use 100% CPU or even anywhere close - mostly just RAM. Is there a way to ensure it's using my PC to the max capacity and running as quick as it can? I've been doing this damn guide for a week now and I wanna plaaaaay lol.

1 hour ago, darkglobe87 said:

TL;DR - my CPU isn't up to the job. I know. But can I make DynDoLOD run quicker?

Longer version -  currently running:
i3-7100
16Gb RAM
SSD 500Gb (samsung EVO 970)
Radeon RX 580
Win 10

I know my system isn't really up to scratch on the CPU side, but DynDoLOD seems to show me differing amounts of info every time I run it. Sometimes after 10 mins I'm getting black command prompt style popups showing the LOD generation, other times it gets to about 10-12 minutes in and then freezes, with no popup windows. 

It's almost as if it's running slower some times. Like, it doesn't even use 100% CPU or even anywhere close - mostly just RAM. Is there a way to ensure it's using my PC to the max capacity and running as quick as it can? I've been doing this damn guide for a week now and I wanna plaaaaay lol.

One way to speed up the generation, is to make sure all unneeded background programs are turned off. Things like Nvidia Experience should be turned off. Then start DynDOLOD and, well, sit back, grab a coffee, maybe knit a sweater and just let it run. It can take a long time, depending on the settings you use. I remember that sometimes it can appear like it is frozen, but it is still running in the background. If after i.e. 1 hour it still isn't moving forward, then you can assume it has frozen.

It's taking 2-2.5 hours lol... I'll just be patient.

All AV / background stuff turned off. I don't want to go messing with priorities in task manager becase I fear I'll take resources away from some other process within the whole thing... or something.

I should've just not bothered with this ha. I'm not too technical but I'm giving myself a pat on the back that I got to the end of the guide and the game still works! Thanks for your advice.

3 hours ago, darkglobe87 said:

It's taking 2-2.5 hours lol... I'll just be patient.

All AV / background stuff turned off. I don't want to go messing with priorities in task manager becase I fear I'll take resources away from some other process within the whole thing... or something.

I should've just not bothered with this ha. I'm not too technical but I'm giving myself a pat on the back that I got to the end of the guide and the game still works! Thanks for your advice.

DynDOLOD is more GPU dependent, so a good GFX card with a fast mobo bus speed runs faster.

Avoid regenerating Occlusion as stated in the guide. You only need to gen that once (as a separate plugin).

Dyndolod should take < 60 minutes without occlusion.