Visual bug Tundra Homestead

CorneliusC

I have a minor visual bug occuring at Tundra Homestead, at the outside crafting area. When approaching from the house or standing inside the crafting area, the light from the brazier next to the anvil seems fine, when standing outside of the crafting area (in the field, with the back to the river), the lighting from the brazier is completely different, brighter and colder. (Third image shows the viewing-from-the-outside situation at night)

I am curious as to what could have caused this and how i might correct it (STEP 2.0 with Lighting & Weather, no ENB)

ScreenShot01.thumb.jpg.a37178f1cc0031169e04ad6c30dd8159.jpgScreenShot02.thumb.jpg.48a3405e8a355cbc151ab2cf089d972c.jpgScreenShot03.thumb.jpg.94175bbde1938d5ea684eea47a273f55.jpg

Thank you

Edited by CorneliusC

Thank you

Aside from 'LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Talos Statue' and a few single-file vanilla sound and animation replacers i have also added a few mods already discussed & accepted for STEP 2.1, which i thought could be integrated with the current guide without conflicting with the patches

Sadly i cannot provide a screenshot from within 'Better Informative Console', but from checking there i think the mentioned bug happens with 'FXfireWithEmbersLight', ID 0806B564, using a model 'FXfireWithEmbers02.nif', which is last changed by the Tundra Homestead esm

1 hour ago, CorneliusC said:

Thank you

Aside from 'LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Talos Statue' and a few single-file vanilla sound and animation replacers i have also added a few mods already discussed & accepted for STEP 2.1, which i thought could be integrated with the current guide without conflicting with the patches

Sadly i cannot provide a screenshot from within 'Better Informative Console', but from checking there i think the mentioned bug happens with 'FXfireWithEmbersLight', ID 0806B564, using a model 'FXfireWithEmbers02.nif', which is last changed by the Tundra Homestead esm

I can confirm the bug is also in my game. I know it's weather related, because it is worst in foggy weather. It only happens when looking into the crafting area from the SSW.

It could be a bulb conflict, so let's see what @TechAngel85 thinks.

@CorneliusC, @z929669, @DoubleYou
Looks like a light conflict or double light to me. One thing I noted that was mentioned was the mods that have been accepted for v2.1 are installed. Is that correct? If so what are your lighting mods? I assume you have only removed Luminosity and installed Ambiance? My next question would be, if that is all true, did you patch things on your own? We have dev patches, but those aren't public. I ask because that looks like the really white light from LoS and Ambiance combination, without it being patched.

I'll walk you all through what I do for something like this.

1. First, I want to look at the cells in xEdit to know what is all adding stuff to the cell. I find that by manually expanding the plugin (hstead) to the worldspace cell and click on it. The column headers list all the mods editing that cell. LoS was the only thing I noticed that would be adding a light. Indeed, after checking, it was (right-click on LoS column header and select 'Jump to' and expand the LoS cell to look what it's adding). However, I know those lights are already handled in our dev patches. These are installed on my end so that shouldn't have been the issue. No clues here.
  2. Next I jump in-game to see if I can determine just what the issue is. Using More Informative Console, showed it's a vanilla glow reference. I confirm this by typing 'disable', which removes the issue when closing the console. I reopen the console and type 'enable' and the issue comes back. This confirmed the issue is this grow reference. My guess before I look in xEdit is that it's got the wrong emittance (or maybe lack of thereof).
    enb2022_8_23_22_13_40.jpg
  3. Back over in xEdit, I load the entire mod list and look at the reference by searching for the FormID. Looking at the reference, it's missing emittance so I create a new patch for just that reference by copying it as override into a new plugin. I set the emittance to WeatherTundra and test it in-game. This has improved the issue, but not corrected it. Only about a 50% improvement.
  4. Next I looked for another reference that might work better ('brt'=bright so I knew there was likely a 'dim' version). I looked, and there was so I replaced it (I did this in the CK just to looks at a few other things, but this can be done in xEdit). I jumped back in the game to test again, and this seems to have resolved the issue without having to outright remove it. Foggy tested out good, as well.
    Honestly, I'd likely just remove it in RS. RS removes most of these glows because, as you can see, they can be gimmicky and cause issues, if not done properly. Not to mention most of the fire replacers include their own glows now. I think RS only uses these for interior windows and some sparse interior effects, but an emittance always has to be set or they're just white. In exterior or near exterior lighting (windows, cave holes, etc) use the weather for the area. Else they're usually near candles or fires and you can set them to default candle or fire lights.
    enb2022_8_23_22_51_38.jpg

So in conclusion, this is a vanilla issue that can be reported to USSEP and/or the Unofficial CC Patch mod. They like it when you report with a solution so tell them of the possible fix or just point them to this post. In the meantime, it can be patched out in the Step patch. Users can do so before the next release following the instructions here (knowledgeable use of the tools required).

40 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

@CorneliusC, @z929669, @DoubleYou
Looks like a light conflict or double light to me. One thing I noted that was mentioned was the mods that have been accepted for v2.1 are installed. Is that correct? If so what are your lighting mods? I assume you have only removed Luminosity and installed Ambiance? My next question would be, if that is all true, did you patch things on your own? We have dev patches, but those aren't public. I ask because that looks like the really white light from LoS and Ambiance combination, without it being patched.

I'll walk you all through what I do for something like this.

1. First, I want to look at the cells in xEdit to know what is all adding stuff to the cell. I find that by manually expanding the plugin (hstead) to the worldspace cell and click on it. The column headers list all the mods editing that cell. LoS was the only thing I noticed that would be adding a light. Indeed, after checking, it was (right-click on LoS column header and select 'Jump to' and expand the LoS cell to look what it's adding). However, I know those lights are already handled in our dev patches. These are installed on my end so that shouldn't have been the issue. No clues here.
  2. Next I jump in-game to see if I can determine just what the issue is. Using More Informative Console, showed it's a vanilla glow reference. I confirm this by typing 'disable', which removes the issue when closing the console. I reopen the console and type 'enable' and the issue comes back. This confirmed the issue is this grow reference. My guess before I look in xEdit is that it's got the wrong emittance (or maybe lack of thereof).
  3. Back over in xEdit, I load the entire mod list and look at the reference by searching for the FormID. Looking at the reference, it's missing emittance so I create a new patch for just that reference by copying it as override into a new plugin. I set the emittance to WeatherTundra and test it in-game. This has improved the issue, but not corrected it. Only about a 50% improvement.
  4. Next I looked for another reference that might work better ('brt'=bright so I knew there was likely a 'dim' version). I looked, and there was so I replaced it (I did this in the CK just to looks at a few other things, but this can be done in xEdit). I jumped back in the game to test again, and this seems to have resolved the issue without having to outright remove it. Foggy tested out good, as well.
    Honestly, I'd likely just remove it in RS. RS removes most of these glows because, as you can see, they can be gimmicky and cause issues, if not done properly. Not to mention most of the fire replacers include their own glows now. I think RS only uses these for interior windows and some sparse interior effects, but an emittance always has to be set or they're just white. In exterior or near exterior lighting (windows, cave holes, etc) use the weather for the area. Else they're usually near candles or fires and you can set them to default candle or fire lights.
    enb2022_8_23_22_51_38.jpg

So in conclusion, this is a vanilla issue that can be reported to USSEP and/or the Unofficial CC Patch mod. They like it when you report with a solution so tell them of the possible fix or just point them to this post. In the meantime, it can be patched out in the Step patch. Users can do so before the next release following the instructions here (knowledgeable use of the tools required).

Very helpful, thanks. I will take a look at this tomorrow at some point.

@z929669 @DoubleYou @TechAngel85

thank you all and thank you so much, TechAngel, for the detailed workshop/ walkthrough to comprehend and fix this. I'll try to patch this later tonight

As for adding additional/ new mods from 2.1 to the existing guide, i tried to only add mods which were most likely not be conflicting or in need of patching, like mods from Animation & Physics, Models & Textures or Interface. So as for Lighting & Weather, i am still running with Luminosity and the current patch

Edit: just posted a link to this thread on the 'Unofficial Creation Club Content Patches' page on Nexus

Edited by CorneliusC

9 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:
  1. Next I jump in-game to see if I can determine just what the issue is. Using More Informative Console, showed it's a vanilla glow reference. I confirm this by typing 'disable', which removes the issue when closing the console. I reopen the console and type 'enable' and the issue comes back. This confirmed the issue is this grow reference. My guess before I look in xEdit is that it's got the wrong emittance (or maybe lack of thereof).

This is key. I was unable to click on the problem mesh/glow, due to it always moving behind the fire bowl. I see you fond a position that seems to allow this. I'm looking into the fix now and will provide a fix today sometime.

That said, I still wouldn't have known to add the emittance and change the effect reference. For reference on how to fix (thanks for the solution, Tech):

image.png

This will be patched in upcoming guide 2.1.0 release.

13 hours ago, z929669 said:

This is key. I was unable to click on the problem mesh/glow, due to it always moving behind the fire bowl. I see you fond a position that seems to allow this. I'm looking into the fix now and will provide a fix today sometime.

Yeah, I was prepared to toggle the markers on, if I wasn't able to select it. I just happen to know those fires and embers are elongated so I took a shot at that angle and it worked. Else I would have toggled the markers on or just hoped in the CK.

• 1 month later...