Torchlight is almost non-existent

SuperOwen

Hi!

I've been playing a STEP playthrough for a few weeks, and everything is working great, except one thing that keeps bugging me.

Torchlight from held torches (Player or NPC) is barely noticeable in exterior locations. There will be a slight illumination of the face and immediate surroundings, but in pitch-black locations a torch barely helps at all. Torches in interiors are more noticeable, but the light is pretty washed out and still barely there.

Is there a setting that I've missed, or is this by design?

I've installed the Lighting & Weather section, and the Post Processing section. I'm using the Milk Drinker ENB setting.

MD-ENB disables complexparticlelights, so try enabling that. Otherwise, do be sure to use all of the L/W and PP mods and patches as DY mentions.

Update to the SSE guide coming soon with many changes and improvements, including to ENB configs.

Never mind, I found it, but it still didn't change anything. I even quickly swapped to the light and heavy ENB settings and didn't get a different result.

I can't see anything that seems relevant in the STEP patches pertaining to torches

Here's what I'm seeing...ScreenShot4.thumb.png.783162786d7617205d0bc748af2e9a4c.png

Looks pretty dark, right? Any idea what else I could be missing?

Thanks,

3 hours ago, SuperOwen said:

Never mind, I found it, but it still didn't change anything. I even quickly swapped to the light and heavy ENB settings and didn't get a different result.

I can't see anything that seems relevant in the STEP patches pertaining to torches

Here's what I'm seeing...ScreenShot4.thumb.png.783162786d7617205d0bc748af2e9a4c.png

Looks pretty dark, right? Any idea what else I could be missing?

Thanks,

Yeah, that's wrong, and I saw the same behavior with some of our torches in the latest build. It could be the surrounding meshes not reflecting the torch light.

To test if it's ENB, you can hit shift+F12 in game to toggle ENB on/off. You can play with ENB settings in game by pressing Shift+Enter in game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 10:55 AM, Investigamer said:

I experience the same issue using the "Heavy" ENB profile, turning ENB off makes it like 2% brighter but still basically nonexistent. I have all the Step Patches recommended in the guide, is there an additional patch for this I'm not aware of? Cheers

I believe this is fixed in dev. The next Guide's release is just around the corner, now.