Some odd looking textures during the fps testing of the STEP guide

Halde

Hi all!

Just tested the fps before doing dyndolod and enb, but wanted to share some screenshots which I think look a bit odd. One is definetly a glitch of some kind, the other two are merely bad looking I think.

ScreenShot0.png

On the above picture, there is a clearcut line in the water between what appears to be still standing water and streaming water. This was more noticeable on another screenshot which is too large, however it appeared multiple places just around this harbor in Riften. The second screenshot is the ground of the Rift in the roads. It is completly orange-brown monochrome, as if the colour was painted upon everything on the ground such as leaves. The last thing was a similar method of colouring moss on rocks, where it looked like mossgreen paint has been splashed upon the rock, as seen on this screenshot. 

ScreenShot4.png

ScreenShot3.png

Edited by Halde
Mistake

Also, there is this blur. It looks like a Field of Depth feature which I haven't seen before on my LE setup. It's mainly noticeable in the distance while moving ie. turning the camera. Maybe it's intended and I just need to get used to it.

2 hours ago, Halde said:

Also, there is this blur. It looks like a Field of Depth feature which I haven't seen before on my LE setup. It's mainly noticeable in the distance while moving ie. turning the camera. Maybe it's intended and I just need to get used to it.

While in-game, go to Pause Menu > Settings > Display and move the Depth of Field slider all the way to the left:

image.png

That should remove the Depth of Field effect.

Don't disable it in BethINI on the Detail tab. Keep the Depth of Field setting turned ON, it's necessary for underwater effects:

image.png

If you're still noticing a blur when moving the camera or moving your character, and everything becomes sharp once you stop moving, you're probably seeing the effects of TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing). If you can't get used to it, you can turn it off in BethINI on the Basic tab:

image.png

Without anti-aliasing certain objects will look jaggy or exhibit visual artifacts. In particular, thin objects such as wires, ropes, fences will appear to jitter and/or flicker and/or shimmer at a distance.

Alternatively you can try using the FXAA anti-aliasing method (the option is on the Basic tab of BethINI) which is of lower quality than TAA and makes everything slightly blurry all the time.

Experiment with the various AA options and see which one you prefer.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:09 AM, Halde said:

Hi all!

Just tested the fps before doing dyndolod and enb, but wanted to share some screenshots which I think look a bit odd. One is definetly a glitch of some kind, the other two are merely bad looking I think.

ScreenShot0.png

Those last two bad looking shots are due to your not disabling CL TEMP mod as instructed in the guide as mentioned in Tech's post. The blur is as Moustick says. This image is something else. Are you using only the mods in our ModList or do you have some other grass mod active here (e.g., Complex Grass for ENB-CL version). Are you using ENB in this shot? If so, the Step ENB or something else? This can happen with 'bad' ComplexGrass ENB settings or by enabling this in ENB when not supported by the mod(s). It can also happen if your DyDOLOD_SSE.ini or TexGen_SSE.ini settings are 'bad'.

More info needed for this

10 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Simply put, at this stage of the guide (Performance tuning), LODs are not finished, so they will look bad.

Agree. I neglected to note that Performance Tuning occurs before LODGen, so don't judge look of anything yet. Just measure performance and continue through the guide.