dirkmate

Question

Hello all-

I tried creating a new instance to begin modding Subnautica but now MO2 won't launch and it gives the error "Traceback (most recent call last):", attached in the image. Anyone know how to fix this? Maybe by deleting the instance I created through file explorer? I'm not a computer expert.

Thanks,

E

MO2_Error.png

8 answers to this question

Use File Explorer to browse to the D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica folder to verify whether doorstop_config.ini actually exists. If this file doesn't exist, you'll need to figure out how to get Subnautica to create this file. As z929669 mentioned, this is normally done in Bethesda games by running the launcher from either Windows or Steam. With Bethesda games, this is e.g. SkyrimSELauncher.exe that has the options to configure the resolution and other settings. I'm not familiar with Subnautica.

11 hours ago, dirkmate said:

Hello all-

I tried creating a new instance to begin modding Subnautica but now MO2 won't launch and it gives the error "Traceback (most recent call last):", attached in the image. Anyone know how to fix this? Maybe by deleting the instance I created through file explorer? I'm not a computer expert.

Thanks,

E

MO2_Error.png

You may need to first launch the game via Steam to assert all of the game config files. Do that and then try launching MO. Maybe a restart would help after Steam launch.

Wanted to reach out here for help. I am having the same issue. The problem is even when I try and delete MO2 and reinstall it I am still getting the error? I don't need it to work with subnautica. I mainly use it for fallout 4. I just want MO2 working again. So how do I get MO2 to stop hitting me with the error. Yes I went into the folder on my PC and deleted everything under MO2.

Hey, I also had this problem and did fix it for myself. 

So I ended up making a dummy txt. (as Jwaker4258 suggested) and made a new error. After some looking, the error code I got (Errrno 13) is a python error, its caused by a lack of permission to view a file that doesn't really exist.  Then I used a "chown" function within [(the file where the mod loader is stored)/pluggins/basic_games/basicgame.py] and manually applied the code. (see attachment 1)

image.thumb.png.2305dacd2a1ef044e37c86b129923f7e.png

With the assumption that the attached images are unclear, first make a txt. file within the subnautica game folder labled "doorstop_config.ini" (I also made a second version as a folder with the same doorstop txt. file inside of that for redundancy sake). This is the file that the error is searching for. (see attachment 2)

image.thumb.png.1a874ca4655411d89eb3442034552b3d.png

Make sure to write the code in above the "def" functions and below the "import" and "from" functions to ensure it works properly. Enter the line "chown user:(your user stored on computer)" in the basic_games.py file and save it temporarily (I kept the txt file open to delete this line after everything was working properly). 

After doing so try opening MO2 again and hopefully there will be some jank about MO2 not being able to work with subnautica and then give another error (I unfortunately didn't get any screenshots of this). Then open up the Software one last time and it should give an error about the chown line and still open right up to the MO2 UI. If all goes well the chown line should be safe to delete.

After everything was fixed I immediately deleted the instance from MO2 and currently don't have any problems with it. I really hopes this helps anyone who needs it.

The "doorstop_config.ini" file is part of BepInEx. I haven't looked into this any further, but ran into this issue while setting up MO2 instances for my favourite games. Judging by the error, I'm assuming it's a hard requirement. Simply creating an empty doorstop_config.ini will let you start up MO2, but it probably will cause other issues further down the line.