That's Ice (by OpticShooter)

skwareballz

Discussion thread:
That's Ice by OpticShooter
Wiki Link

Nexus says file does not exist.

That's Ice by OpticShooter
This is an ice retexture that comes in 3 colors and 3 resolutions.

Description from the author:

This mod simply replaces the ice/glacier textures to give a much more detailed and realistic look. The diffuse (colour map) is brand new with the same compression level as this does notreally effect fidelity. The normal (bump) map is twice the resolution and is 1024, but is uncompressed giving it the same clarity as a 2048 texture (although its half the size). I haveworked really hard and looked at many references to get this mod looking as good as possible,
as well as trying to maintain the vanilla look and feel. I think I pulled it off!

I do like the current ice texture in STEP, but the baby blue version won me over. The author says it's 1024 resolution, but clarity of 2048, so I guess that would probably perform better than Real Ice 2K version. Some of these retext mods are hard to evaluate as better than another, but this mod's advantage is that it comes NMM and BAIN ready. It also has an optional meshes pack, but it's not in the BAIN so you'd have to install 2 files.

• 2 months later...

It's hard to argue against using any of these mods, Opticshooter and osmodius really know how make textures. I did test Real Ice, That's Ice, and Real Ice and Snow quite a bit before posting Real Ice as my recommendation. Real Ice and Snow has the icicles I like and the snowy road textures were pretty nice even compared to SRO, but that baby blue with the updated meshes in That's Ice is crazy.

I do believe TC had Real Ice as the STEP recommendation before That's Ice became his choice. I remember spending a couple hours looking at all the ice textures and my eyes just glazed over and I couldn't tell which one was really the 'best' (if there is such a thing). I just picked the one that I would walk up to and lick.

I don't know how TC does it with all those mods, even though I've recommended around a dozen or so mods, there isn't enough red bull and meth in the world to get me to do what TC does.

Thanks, good to know I'm not missing out on anything so I don't spend a few hours comparing myself. By the way, exactly which icicle textures are you using from RIS?

-Water icicle

-Extremely Watery Icicle

-Transparent Icicle

-Transparent Watery Icicle

I also like the transitions between the snow and roads, there's no obvious lines like there was on my S.T.E.P. install.

I use the Extreme Watery Icicles, but the Transparent Watery Icicles are pretty good too if you want them to be see through. It's kinda weird with them being transparent because you will notice part of them get kind of blurred when there is something white behind them, like snow or clouds. It's a cool effect, but I'm not sure if icicles really do that since I live in the desert.

• 1 month later...

In STEP 2.2 it doesn't mention the optional Mesh Pack in the notes of Thats Ice installation. I'm confused as to whether it is recommended to use the Mesh Pack or not because it was part of STEP 2.1 and no mention in notes section or any part of the Removed/Replaced mods section of 2.2 guide