Wrye Bash Guide

z929669

Question

The Beta Wrye Bash Guide to STEP Installation is available

on THE WIKI

Based on the advice I received from users here, I will be asking TC to host on his site if he wishes. I will also host right here on the STEP wiki site when final. It is not yet final, but I will make it so once we have a fully compatible BOSS-Wrye Bash implementation to support Skyrim v1.5.

Everything's going smoothly, but I noticed that WB skipped HighResDLC01.esp (don't remember actual filenames offhand) and HighResDLC02.esp, but installed HighResDLC03.esp. Is this normal? No other files were missing or had any problems.

After scouring the SB documentation, I enabled only the standard textures plugin of that complex package I mentioned earlier and ran some benchmarks without the high-res DLC textures. Then, I ticked off the checkboxes for the HRDLC modules and installed the package again. After seeing the skipped files, I Annealed the package, but nothing changed. Should I "Override Skipped Files"? I'm not 100% sure, but I think those ESPs are still necessary.

ok, why is it, that after applying a ini tweak through WB my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini if i open those files with the editor program the lines of those ini files aren't separated anymore, but if i copy and paste them somewhere the line separation is back?

That's strange. I opened and edited both of those files in both Notepad++ and WB, but spacing was being preserved, either way. Are you using WB version 303?

By the way, is it okay that WB skips those vanilla ESPs that I mentioned above? I can see how it might be more difficult balancing texture packs as my STEP modding progresses, if all I have is raw files in the Data folder.

when ever you use a program that points to the Skyrim launcher I think it will reset your 'skyrimPrefs' ini. You can try setting them to 'read only'. That might prevent them from being changed. I have my 'Skyrim.ini' set to 'read only' and it stays the same but my Prefs.ini always gets reset. Maybe because of ATTK, I'm not sure though.

Everything's going smoothly' date=' but I noticed that WB skipped HighResDLC01.esp (don't remember actual filenames offhand) and HighResDLC02.esp, but installed HighResDLC03.esp. Is this normal? No other files were missing or had any problems.

After scouring the SB documentation, I enabled only the standard textures plugin of that complex package I mentioned earlier and ran some benchmarks without the high-res DLC textures. Then, I ticked off the checkboxes for the HRDLC modules and installed the package again. After seeing the skipped files, I Annealed the package, but nothing changed. Should I "Override Skipped Files"? I'm not 100% sure, but I think those ESPs are still necessary.[/quote']

When you are using the extracted/optimized versions of the vanilla textures, there is no need for the corresponding HighResTexturePack01-3.esp files. These esps only tell the game to load the corresponding BSAs. Since you are installing these as loose files under WB, then you have no need to load the BSAs.

Ticking "Override skipped files" will tell WB to install whatever was skipped, but again, you don't need to activate those vanilla ESPs (they really should not even be in the vanilla 7z archives anyway, and they should NOT be ticked in the mods tab either ... remember, the original BSAs and ESPs should sitll be in the data directory ... yuo just are not using those resources.

I think WB always skips vanilla files. Since HiResPack03 is a new file it does not recognize it as "vanilla" and installs it.

Correct' date=' unless "override skipped files" is ticked (which is not necessary, and we don't want to use the vanilla resources anyway ... just the repackaged loose files).[hr']

ok' date=' why is it, that after applying a ini tweak through WB my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini if i open those files with the editor program the lines of those ini files aren't separated anymore, but if i copy and paste them somewhere the line separation is back?[/quote']

I am not following this .... ?

ok, why is it, that after applying a ini tweak through WB my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini if i open those files with the editor program the lines of those ini files aren't separated anymore, but if i copy and paste them somewhere the line separation is back?

Okay I'll try to explain to you what I mean:

- Normally the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini have included variables and values. Each variable has a specific value. All variables are separated from another by a line end.

[Display]

iMaxAnisotropy=16 # LINE END

iMultiSample=8 # Next line

- If I apply any ini tweak through WB my ini files look like this if viewn with Windows Editor:

[Display]...iMaxAnisotropy=16iMultisample=8...

- If I view the ini files with wrye bash for further tweaking it still looks like this:

[Display]

- If I view the ini files through the Editor and copy all the content and paste it somewhere else it looks again like this:

[Display]

All in all... weird. I cannot correctly tweak any values anymore except with wrye bash.

I've had this issue, but the only time they are all listed on one line is in notepad. If I open up either file in Notepad++ they are listed properly.

I've also had an issue with WB not starting after using fraps. I had the latest svn installed and after using fraps it would not start up again, and I had to install 303 over it to get WB to start. If I use fraps with 303 installed I have to close fraps, instead of just leaving it on in the tray, to get WB start. Seems like a weird issue to me and haven't heard of anyone else with type of issue. Any ideas what causes it?

ok' date=' why is it' date=' that after applying a ini tweak through WB my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini if i open those files with the editor program the lines of those ini files aren't separated anymore, but if i copy and paste them somewhere the line separation is back?[/quote'']

Okay I'll try to explain to you what I mean:

- Normally the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini have included variables and values. Each variable has a specific value. All variables are separated from another by a line end.

[Display]

- If I apply any ini tweak through WB my ini files look like this if viewn with Windows Editor:

[Display]...iMaxAnisotropy=16iMultisample=8...

- If I view the ini files with wrye bash for further tweaking it still looks like this:

[Display]

- If I view the ini files through the Editor and copy all the content and paste it somewhere else it looks again like this:

[Display]

All in all... weird. I cannot correctly tweak any values anymore except with wrye bash.

Some of the vanilla Windows editors are not tolerant of both of the standard conventions used in indicating line breaks. Some Windows editors can only function when the Windows convention (a carriage return byte followed by a line feed byte) is used. Notepad++ is tolerant of multiple forms of line breaks. I'm not sure which convention Wrye Bash follows; it might be using the Unix convention of having a single LF byte.

Some of the vanilla Windows editors are not tolerant of the both of the standard conventions used in indicating line breaks. Some Windows editors can only function when the Windows convention (a carriage return byte followed by a line feed byte) is used. Notepad++ is tolerant of multiple forms of line breaks. I'm not sure which convention Wrye Bash follows; it might be using the Unix convention of having a single LF byte.

That was exactly what I thought. Changed to Notepad ++ right away :-)

The Saves tab in WB doesn't seem to think my plugins are in the same order the Mods tab does:

Posted Image

It's not a huge deal, but it throws off all the other plugins so none of them appear in the correct order.  Restarting WB and even rebooting doesn't fix this, any ideas?