Oblivion crashing after Mod Organizer closed

Ghalium

Question

Title pretty much sums it up. I accidentally closed the MO2 application while running Oblivion. I hastily closed Oblivion once I realized what I had done, but after running Oblivion Launcher through MO2 again and starting the game up it crashes shortly after the Bethesda logo begins to appear.

Still very new to modding and not entirely sure what is causing the crash but am aware that Mod Organizer must be open for the virtual file system to work properly. I do have my game stored in Program Files and understand it is advised not to be there, but the guide I followed in modding mentioned this should not be a problem and I personally did not experience any errors before mistakenly closing it today. TY in advance.

6 answers to this question

Which guide are you using? Not knowing this will make it hard to figure out what is going on. Are you running Oblivion Script Extender, OBSE?

The current maintainers of MO2 strongly suggest the following when installing MO2:

"Mod Organizer 2 should not be installed inside a system protected folder such as Programs Files (x86). 
Also avoid installing MO2 inside the Game folder as this causes problems with the vfs library.
Mo2 is a 64bit application and as such it requires a 64bit operating system to run."

While I have Oblivion installed inside Program Files (x86), I created a separate folder outside Program Files for MO2. Yes, I am running OBSE as well. Here is a link to the guide I followed when modding my game: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51105?tab=description 

This guide does not include instructions for the set-up of Mod Organizer however, for that I followed a YT video which I will also link below. I changed the base directory path as recommended in this video to a new folder outside appdata in a similar fashion to how he has done it (C: > Modding > MO2 - Oblivion)

54 minutes ago, Ghalium said:

While I have Oblivion installed inside Program Files (x86), I created a separate folder outside Program Files for MO2. Yes, I am running OBSE as well. Here is a link to the guide I followed when modding my game: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51105?tab=description 

This guide does not include instructions for the set-up of Mod Organizer however, for that I followed a YT video which I will also link below. I changed the base directory path as recommended in this video to a new folder outside appdata in a similar fashion to how he has done it (C: > Modding > MO2 - Oblivion)

Please reference Ch4-5 of our System Setup Guide for MO installation recommendations. Also see the first Ch of that article for game install and other recommendations. Your Oblivion is installed under a location that does have UAC governance, so it could still be an issue if you are using default Win directory security.

Have you setup OBSE according to the following:

Running Oblivion OBSE with MO2
github.com

The developers have built in the "Force load libraries" to ensure that the OBSE Dlls will get loaded when run. Setting it up this way you will run Oblivion.exe instead of OBSE obse_loader.exe.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

Please reference Ch4-5 of our System Setup Guide for MO installation recommendations. Also see the first Ch of that article for game install and other recommendations. Your Oblivion is installed under a location that does have UAC governance, so it could still be an issue if you are using default Win directory security.

Although this was not an issue prior to closing MO during game, I have moved my steam installation to a folder outside of Program Files (x86) as recommended by the System Setup Guide. I ran Oblivion through the Steam launcher after doing this, though I am not certain this was necessary and could result in more issues for all I know.

55 minutes ago, GSDFan said:

Have you setup OBSE according to the following:

Running Oblivion OBSE with MO2
github.com

The developers have built in the "Force load libraries" to ensure that the OBSE Dlls will get loaded when run. Setting it up this way you will run Oblivion.exe instead of OBSE obse_loader.exe.

After reading through the link you provided I can say I did the procedure outlined there, just through the guide I had been been following (first link). MO is configured such that I select Oblivion Launcher from the drop-down and press Run, which worked in the past. As said above, I changed the location of my Steam installation in response. This was not a problem before hand but figured I would do so just to avoid suggestions that this could be the issue present. As I have said before this did not pose a problem before yesterday and had been running Oblivion through MO in the manner described with all mods loaded successfully. I changed the file paths in MO to account for the change in file locations and am still experiencing the same issue I have been describing.

Ok, back to square one.

I accidentally closed the MO2 application while running Oblivion. I hastily closed Oblivion once I realized what I had done, but after running Oblivion Launcher through MO2 again and starting the game up it crashes shortly after the Bethesda logo begins to appear.

This should not be a problem as the usvfs_x64.dll and usvfs_x86.dll do the heave lifting and the MO UI has negligible impact on the game at that time. It is entirely possible that your antivirus has quarantined these or other files. Open your AV program and see if it has quarantined any of MO2 files.

You can also create a new, not a copy, profile without any mods enabled. Start the base game without OBSE loading, untick the Force load libraries, and see if it launches and test. If it does then progress to OBSE loading and so on.