What does the STEP Lighting and Weather Patch contain/do?

WryCynic

Hi All,

I was wondering what the STEP Lighting and Weather Patch does in terms of the fixes it may include, or edits to records. I use all the recommended mods in the 18-Lighting & Weather section of the guide.

The equivalent reference document for the CR patch is useful, but I can't seem to find anything similarly for the LW patch either on the wiki, this forum or elsewhere on the web that describes what it does (beyond the red-marked mods listed in the STEP guide that give an indication of what mods it does effect). 

I ask as I wouldn't mind removing Lanterns of Skyrim from my current load order (post-1.0.0 update) - the old LoS MCM adopted for the current STEP iteration has overly bright, white tone lights for my taste (an issue acknowledged in this thread here), which do not respond to the light patch recommended on Manny's Nexus page for me. LOOT pulls a strop if I remove LoS completely, and keep the LW patch; an error message appears with regards to dependency.

Will the game play nice if I keep the LW patch, but remove LoS from the load order (despite LOOT's alarm bells, which I know aren't reliable)? Alternatively, if I remove both LoS and the LW patch for the sake of my OCD and LOOT's constitution, what am I losing by dropping the LW patch with regards to the rest of the section 18 mods?

Many thanks in advance!

The LW patch is same principles as the CR patch but includes different mods in the patch. Tech will fix the LoS lights next update. You can use xEdit to see what records the patches touch.

You could CTD if you remove LoS and retain the patch, but maybe not. You can certainly not use the patch, but you would probably notice other lighting issues then. loot may also complain.

I recommend leaving it be until we update unless you know how to remove the LoS dependency in xEdit/CK. If you want to add a substitute, it gets even more complex.

It mainly just patches conflicts between the mods within that section. I can't think of anything else I added to it. That issue with the LoS lights is already fixed in for the next version. It's as simple as changing the RGB values for that single light used for the lanterns...super easy and quick fix so no reason to remove it just because of that.

temp.png

34 minutes ago, WryCynic said:

Thanks for the timely responses.

I'll hold tight for the LW patch update - is there a timeframe for this, out of interest?

Why not load the patch in xEdit and make the adjustments Tech noted? I think you may need to open/save the plugin in the CK after making the edit and saving in xEdit.