"Inappropriate" entries... is there a way to support them and do they work?

Gregaaz

Question

Hi folks, I was recently reading through the description of the new Face Discoloration Fix plugin on the Nexus and it struck me that, at least in theory, this could enable a user to put leveled list references on NPC records in the PNAM field for hairstyle or even facial hair randomization. Without a fix like the one linked above, of course, this would a fast track to dark face bug, but now... there are possibilities. Unfortunately I couldn't test the theory because xEdit locks this field to PNAM entries only.

Theoretically, if a LVLI record was inserted instead, what would happen? Would the game just crash? I'm cogitating on hacky ways to work around this, but if the outcome is a known quantity I can focus my efforts elsewhere.

Likewise, what would happen if someone showhorned a leveled list into a template data field, say for a magical item. Imagine I have, through excessive modding, added 25 iron sword variants to my game. It would be a lot cleaner from a technical standpoint if they just got randomly pulled as template data rather than having a separate, otherwise identical magic item entry for each variant.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

1 answer to this question

Most of our xEdit gurus are either taking a break from modding, retired from modding, or AFK. I am personally an xEdit hack and use it only as a reference. My advice is to make your changes and examine results. Nothing like diving in as a learning process :)