Fast Travel Timescale Fix (by rolloLG, Hexaae)

stoppingby4now

Discussion thread:
Fast Travel Timescale Fix by rolloLG, Hexaae
Wiki Link

Nobody noticed your player (especially with a horse) takes 1 hour or 2 to move with fast-travel to a near location you can reach in almost 10 (in-game) minutes running to that place?

Looks like the global setting fFastTravelSpeedMult set to 1 was the cause: changing it to 4 makes fast-travelling timings much more on par with a "real walk" to that location. I've been using this very basic mod-fix for 2 weeks and I can't see any bug or problem yet. It makes fast-travelling useful and with "realistic" timings, finally...
Now all journeys should take (almost) the same time they would take if you run/walk/ride for real to that location without using fast-travel.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a thought that some people will be averse to, but there's a great possibility that this fix is entirely subjective, and not technically 'fixing' anything.

The proposed issue; fast travel is much slower than running speed.

The actual issue; players think their characters run when they fast travel.

What is very likely to be the case, but that I'm not entirely positive of; fast travel time is based on the character's walking speed.

It can be taken into account that travelers witnessed on the move in Skyrim do not run unless given cause; it's probably a safe assumption that the player does this also. Likewise, it's sensible that such travel would be done at a walking pace; it's fairly well accepted that this travel is only 'fast' from a player perspective. I'm a little surprised that no one voiced this before.

I went into a little more detail with comparisons here.

Edited by UnmeiX

I agree with UnmeiX; I suspect the fast travel time is based on the player's walk speed.  This doesn't mean that this change is undesirable since most players actually do run everywhere, but it would make sense that the default time would be based on walking, not running, speed.

What is really needed is a mod that dynamically changes this value depending on whether you're on foot, on a horse, or in a carriage.  The real 'bug' seems to be that all three use the same game setting.

Edit: I also wonder how time scale setting effect this value.  If the two settings work independently, then anyone using an alternate time scale setting lower than 20 would probably want a higher fFastTravelSpeedMult or else fast travel times might still appear inconsistently slow even with this adjusted value.  I know this isn't an issue for STEP proper, but it's something that I suspect affects many of the people here, myself included. 

What is really needed is a mod that dynamically changes this value depending on whether you're on foot, on a horse, or in a carriage.  The real 'bug' seems to be that all three use the same game setting.

Perhaps once I can get myself to set up a working development environment for the game, I'll do something along those lines.