Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Some of the ideas seem good - were it not for the fact that it eats up in-game time. Without a needs mod, I can see this... but with no additional results other than 'learned the spell and kept the book', it's time spent for no real effect. Some on the comments suggested that the study should add to the relevant school of magic's skill level - if it did that, I could see it. But not as it is, and not for a mod that would seem to be abandoned by it's author with a major vendor bug still present.

The in-game time issue didn't bother me - it defaults to 15 minutes in-game, and appears to be configurable via the in-game options (and, really, if time didn't pass while studying, it probably wouldn't be any more immersive than the existing "open the disappearing book and WHAM - you're now an expert!" system that exists now). Part of immersion (to me) is that time is a limited resource. Needs mods (especially those involving sleep) pretty much exist to force us to pay attention to that resource. Having something like Better Spell Learning forces us to decide what's important and when. Do I really want to sacrifice a couple of hours  (or whatever) in-game to master this spell I'm never going to use? It adds an actual cost to acquiring the education, and I like that. 

I'm not entirely sure that raising the school skill level would make sense. It could be just as easily argued that using the spell, rather than simply learning it, should be the how one raises in level - much as my having once read a book about the general concepts behind whittling doesn't make me a master carver - practice does. 

But, alas, I missed the whole vendor issue apparently. I thought it was only when installed mid-game. If that isn't the case, that's kind of a deal-breaker for me.

Edited by dstansberry

So just now I've noticed some of my smelter ingots have "<Missing Name>" (they look like charcoal). They're blank in the list on the left, but on the right on the picture it says "Missing Name". Another weird thing happened with Rabbit Stew and Pheasant Stew - at first iNeed didn't recognize them, so I manually categorized them as soup - then afterwards they both disappeared from my inventory. Then, back in the cooking pot menu, the Rabbit Stew and Pheasant Stew both suddenly became "Missing Name" like the aforementioned ingots.

Has anybody else gotten this or is my setup borked :(

EDIT: I see there's been a few updates since the version on the 8th so I'll make those changes, regen all the things and see if that solves it.

Edited by CosmicDan

I'm not entirely sure that raising the school skill level would make sense. It could be just as easily argued that using the spell, rather than simply learning it, should be the how one raises in level - much as my having once read a book about the general concepts behind whittling doesn't make me a master carver - practice does.

Not bad arguments... except for the fact that casting the spells is the way you raise skill levels. Currently, reading the books (apart from the dedicated spell books) does nothing except learning the new spell. You don't learn a spell or any skill without learning about the underlying principles of the thing you are studying, even if only a little, which would be my argument for including skill advancement as part of learning the spell. The same ideas that govern the current mechanic of 'low level = low progress in Master level spells' applies to skill advancement as well: a Master would get more information and more insight into his craft by reading these books. Just as medical professionals must keep up with the craft to advance their skills (or at least maintain them), I maintain that it is through study as much as use that someone gets better at their trade.

If the time requirement is only 15 minutes in game, that seems reasonable. Obviously, I haven't tried this mod myself either, but the comment section seems to indicate that there is an entire mini-cutscene associated... that, to me, would be irritating. Just advance the spell learning, advance the clock, and let me get on with it. I don't need the screen black-out to go with it. I don't need any further immersion in this way. Let the mechanics speak for themselves without unneeded embellishment. (I turn them all off for Hunterborn as well, as well as the few that are involved in Frostfall like the hand warming... completely unneeded).

All of that aside, the other points still kind of stand - the author has largely abandoned it, it seems. As to the vendor bug, I missed that it appears to only be mid-game installation that causes that... not sure how I missed it, since it's pretty well documented, but I did. Even so, that bug has been present for well over a year with no attempts to fix... all of these things together says this isn't something I'd want, I think.

Edited by Shadriss

Hey guys I have updated xLODGEN to beta v27 I didn't feel it warranted going on the changelog for a single entry.

The link in the guide is broken.

The file you are trying to download is no longer available.
This could be due to the following reasons:
The file has been removed because of a ToS/AUP violation.
Invalid URL - the link you are trying to access does not exist
The file has been deleted by the user.

On another front - Somehow, Relic Hunter or something associated with the Museum and Archaeology appears to be installed into the load order twice... or so I'm assuming, since the option with LAL to be the Guild Master showed up twice, and the lone dig I've been to allowed me to search for artifacts twice. Additionally, the opening quest for this start (Akaviri Rising) seemed to have two simultaneous instances of the building you explore - I went in once, and the quest related stuff wasn't happening. I left and came back in, and a whole new set of enemies appeared and the quest stuff was running. Have checked in SSEEdit, and there are no second instances of Relic Hunter, so I didn't accidentally add it into a merge or something. I've reinstalled both it and LOTD just to be certain as well. Yet again, this update is doing it's best to screw with me... any ideas, oh mighty ones? I think this may also have something to do with a consistent CTD in Solitude when passing the main market inside the gate, heading towards the DBM.

Lest this be lost in the other discussions, I quote myself. This is currently a game breaking issue for me and, short of rebuilding the guide one mod at a time (which my available bandwidth makes... very difficult to work with because of ComCast limitations), I have no further ideas on how to identify how this is occurring.

Some of the ideas seem good - were it not for the fact that it eats up in-game time. Without a needs mod, I can see this... but with no additional results other than 'learned the spell and kept the book', it's time spent for no real effect. Some on the comments suggested that the study should add to the relevant school of magic's skill level - if it did that, I could see it. But not as it is, and not for a mod that would seem to be abandoned by it's author with a major vendor bug still present.

On another front - Somehow, Relic Hunter or something associated with the Museum and Archaeology appears to be installed into the load order twice... or so I'm assuming, since the option with LAL to be the Guild Master showed up twice, and the lone dig I've been to allowed me to search for artifacts twice. Additionally, the opening quest for this start (Akaviri Rising) seemed to have two simultaneous instances of the building you explore - I went in once, and the quest related stuff wasn't happening. I left and came back in, and a whole new set of enemies appeared and the quest stuff was running. Have checked in SSEEdit, and there are no second instances of Relic Hunter, so I didn't accidentally add it into a merge or something. I've reinstalled both it and LOTD just to be certain as well. Yet again, this update is doing it's best to screw with me... any ideas, oh mighty ones? I think this may also have something to do with a consistent CTD in Solitude when passing the main market inside the gate, heading towards the DBM.

mmm that could be a bug the latest version of Relic hunter I would bump it up to Icecreamassain.

Edit: I have bumped this to Sirjesto over of Discord as well so he might have some thoughts.

Not bad arguments... except for the fact that casting the spells is the way you raise skill levels. 

Which was my point entirely. I just saw no reason to change that mechanic as it applies to spell tomes.

And then you had to go and say this:

You don't learn a spell or any skill without learning about the underlying principles of the thing you are studying, even if only a little, which would be my argument for including skill advancement as part of learning the spell. The same ideas that govern the current mechanic of 'low level = low progress in Master level spells' applies to skill advancement as well: a Master would get more information and more insight into his craft by reading these books. Just as medical professionals must keep up with the craft to advance their skills (or at least maintain them), I maintain that it is through study as much as use that someone gets better at their trade.

which I begrudgingly acknowledge as a fair point. In my industry, I read a fairly significant amount - but until I actually do something with what I've read, the knowledge remains theoretical, The first time I use it, it becomes practical. The more I use, the more proficient I become in that aspect of my trade. This is where I was coming from in my view that there was no reason to change the skill advancement as related to spell tomes. But you're right - even acquiring the knowledge that something can be done is technically an advancement, so I concede the point. 

At any rate, you're probably right - it may not be a good fit for the guide in its present form (or at all, for that matter). I'm more enamored of the concept than of its current execution.

I'm more enamored of the concept than of its current execution.

Ditto. As to the rest - well, after twenty years of doing a thing, I understand getting better by doing. I also understand that things change, and you don't get better by only doing things they way you always have. Reading about things you haven't tried or learned yet becomes the baseline for other ideas, which in turn advances knowledge. :)

Also, this is what happens when you start a debate with a College English Teaching Major who spent twenty years teaching SONAR to people who have no clue how sound works.

mmm that could be a bug the latest version of Relic hunter I would bump it up to Icecreamassain.

Edit: I have bumped this to Sirjesto over of Discord as well so he might have some thoughts.

Is this, then, something that has been noted by others? If it's just me, it's more likely to be something I've done... if it's seen by others, well...

Question: Is your discord done mostly by voice, or live-chat? If it's the latter, then it may be something I can get involved in after all, if a bit time-late.

Edited by Shadriss