Disease Descriptions

rootsrat

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6690

Changes the descriptions of the diseases in Skyrim to an actual description of the disease as told by Morrowind.

Artistic liberty was taken for Bone Break Fever, Brain Rot and Sanguinare Vampiris which did not exist in Morrowind.

It always bothered me that I don't really know WHAT the given decease actually DOES to you... Good for immersion. Not much more to say.

Looks good. One thing that I'd like to see however is the description of the actual in-game effects of the disease left intact. I really do like the idea for immersion, but I do want to see what effects this has on my character mechanically. I'll work on a version with that soon.

EDIT: Looks like the author has allowed others to make improvements to his mod. I'll get to it when I get home.

Looks good. One thing that I'd like to see however is the description of the actual in-game effects of the disease left intact. I really do like the idea for immersion, but I do want to see what effects this has on my character mechanically. I'll work on a version with that soon.

EDIT: Looks like the author has allowed others to make improvements to his mod. I'll get to it when I get home.

Fair suggestion. Please let us know when you finish, I would like to see that working too :)

That's why I love this community! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice idea ! But it would be more immersive if we could get this description only after an alchemist or medic consultation, don't you think ? Our character isn't supposed to have medical skills (perhaps an additional idea for the SkyRe alchemist tree?) or to carry a medical encyclopedia.

Nice idea ! But it would be more immersive if we could get this description only after an alchemist or medic consultation' date=' don't you think ? Our character isn't supposed to have medical skills (perhaps an additional idea for the SkyRe alchemist tree?) or to carry a medical encyclopedia.[/quote']

Following your course of thinking, our character should be aware what the symptoms are, rather then knowing the actual name of the disease, no? They haven't got the required knowledge to know the proper, medical name of the disease. But they are able to feel the symptoms - aching muscles, nausea etc. So to me it makes perfect sense. 

Another way of looking at this is: all of those are "mild, common" diseases. You know what common cold causes, right? And you know that it is called "a cold", yes? 

Of course you are right for those common diseases. I was thinking in more rare events like porphyria which can firstly cause common symptoms. And then if you are not aware of the real nature of the disease, it could permanently turn you to a vampiric state.

I admit this is a particular example, and that vanilla Skyrim engine generally doesn't take into account more medical stuff than general "antidotes" or "medicinal potions". I wish so much a more complex system which involves a more accurate aid following the type of disease. The difficulty would be first to identify the disease, and then how to cure. That's immersion !

Of course you are right for those common diseases. I was thinking in more rare events like porphyria which can firstly cause common symptoms. And then if you are not aware of the real nature of the disease, it could permanently turn you to a vampiric state.

I admit this is a particular example, and that vanilla Skyrim engine generally doesn't take into account more medical stuff than general "antidotes" or "medicinal potions". I wish so much a more complex system which involves a more accurate aid following the type of disease. The difficulty would be first to identify the disease, and then how to cure. That's immersion !

Or a mod that allows you take random herbs and medications on the off chance they'll work, in turn making your condition even worse.

Experimenting on yourself is fun and should be part of the alchemist experience.