CTD when using the Armor Workbench in FO4

GrantSP

Question

So I've recently bought FO4, after putting it off for so long, and as I have been modding it up I now have come across a problem I can't seem to rectify.

Whenever I activate the Armor Workbench and then move the mouse to select another item I instantly crash to desktop.

I've tried deactivating any and all mods that I see directly modify armor but no luck.

[spoiler=Modlist]# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
+Easier Hacking with Options - Easy Lockpick - Guaranteed Pickpocket
+Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat and Companion At Same Time - No Console - No Hack)
+Achievements
+QuickTrade
+Shaikujin's Better warning for settlements being attacked
+Armorsmith Extended
+Concealed Armor for Far Harbor and Nuka World DLC
+Concealed Armors
+=== Base ===
+Satellite World Map
+Mod Configuration Menu
+VIS - ALL DLC - Merged
+Immersive HUD - iHUD
+FO4 Hotkeys
+DEF UI Compatibility Patch
+Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI v5.5.2
+DEF_UI
+Valdacil's Item Sorting
+Armor and Weapons Keyword Community Resource (AWKCR)
+HUDFramework
+=== UI ===
+Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
+=== Bugfixes ===

[spoiler=Plugin List]# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
*Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
*ArmorKeywords.esm
*Armorsmith Extended.esp
*Armorsmith All DLCs Patch.esp
*SatelliteWorldMap.esp
*Immersive HUD.esp
*SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp
*QuickTrade.esp
*FO4Hotkeys.esp
*EveryonesBestFriend.esp
*Easier Hacking - 1 Word.esp
*Easy Lockpick.esp
*HUDFramework.esm
*VIS_Merged.esp
*ConcealedArmor.esm
*ConcealedArmor.esp

As you can see I am not running a lot of mods at the moment and I am still in Sanctuary trying to get my game modded correctly before I progress.

The only non-standard plugin is VIS_Merged which is my merge of all of Vardicil's Item sorting mods. If I decativate this and use the original plugins I still get the same CTD.

6 answers to this question

Wow, not a lot of mods to have this happen. My guess would be concealed armors or the DLC concealed armors. I don’t use these myself.

An alternative is to use UCO Unified Clothing Overhaul includes Costume Party and Immersive Crafting series. It has an invisible armor option and plays nice with AWKCR. I use this with Armorsmith all DLCs and load armorsmith after UCO.

Also use xEDIT when the load order is near complete to identify mods with little to no conflicts or if they have mods that overwrite them and that is OK. You and use the CK to convert them to the new ESL format and reduce plugin count. The Easier Hacking is a good example.

Yeah, not a lot of plugins to cause it, but nonetheless I have it.

Thanks for the mod tip, I'll install that and see if I can tweak my setup to fix this annoying crash. I really hope it isn't the Win10 update that's doing it, I'd be really pissed if it is.

EDIT:

And the culprit appears to be Concealed Armor. No matter what I do whenever that mod is loaded I crash. I was also seeing an odd CTD when inspecting the armor via my pipboy, that too is gone now.

Off-topic. You know that MCM folder structure thing when using MO2 mentioned in the Discord channel? Does that mean only the folder structure for MCM needs to created and not the individual mod's folders? ie. all the sub-folders under the MCM\Config folder will be made by MO2 at runtime?

The folder structure can be empty base structure. I did a quick tip on this a short while ago, here, look at the bottom to see the folder structure.

[spoiler=Folder structure]For the MCM and MCM mods you need to have the empty data structure in the vanilla “Data†folder. They are MCM\Config and MCM\Settings. With this folder structure present in the Data folder MCM mods will now show up in game.

I also had some problems with Transfer Settlements mod not saving Blueprints. To correct this, I had to create the following folder structures, “F4SE\plugins\TransferSettlements\Backup†and “F4SE\plugins\TransferSettlements\blueprintsâ€. When present in the vanilla game settlement blueprints will now save in game. When testing this without the folder structure present the Transfer Settlements would complete without any mod added ESPs being listed. With it there I got the list of ESPs I was expecting to see.

The folder structure can be empty base structure. I did a quick tip on this a short while ago, here, look at the bottom to see the folder structure.

[spoiler=Folder structure]For the MCM and MCM mods you need to have the empty data structure in the vanilla “Data†folder. They are MCM\Config and MCM\Settings. With this folder structure present in the Data folder MCM mods will now show up in game.

I also had some problems with Transfer Settlements mod not saving Blueprints. To correct this, I had to create the following folder structures, “F4SE\plugins\TransferSettlements\Backup†and “F4SE\plugins\TransferSettlements\blueprintsâ€. When present in the vanilla game settlement blueprints will now save in game. When testing this without the folder structure present the Transfer Settlements would complete without any mod added ESPs being listed. With it there I got the list of ESPs I was expecting to see.

For me I also need to have each individual mod's config folder inside Data.

ie.

\Data\MCM\

Immersive HUD\

MCM\

QuickTrade\