Morroblivion Overhaul

Diana_TES_GotH

Hey @Diana_TES_GotH, I'm new to Oblivion modding community and I hope it's normal and expected to have questions :)

I've finished section 7 Morroblivion with Fixes and Improvements - and here goes my question - is it normal I get only 15FPS in first town? GPU (Radeon HD 7950) is working at 20%, CPU (i5 2500k @4,5 GHz) is at 60-80%.

I had issues and crashes later on, so I'm beginning to doubt is it worth pushing forward. Such poor framerate is absolutely unacceptable.

Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks for your time :) great guide BTW ;)

Hey @Diana_TES_GotH, I'm new to Oblivion modding community and I hope it's normal and expected to have questions :)

I've finished section 7 Morroblivion with Fixes and Improvements - and here goes my question - is it normal I get only 15FPS in first town? GPU (Radeon HD 7950) is working at 20%, CPU (i5 2500k @4,5 GHz) is at 60-80%.

I had issues and crashes later on, so I'm beginning to doubt is it worth pushing forward. Such poor framerate is absolutely unacceptable.

Yes, there are 2-3 spots in Seyda Neen which will surprisingly tax the game engine due to an unfortunate alignment of NPC AI processing, Physics Processing, Collision Detection and Distant Lands drawing.  However, even my Phenom II at 2Ghz and a 7950 was able to pull off 10-12 fps in these areas (albeit with optimized quality settings).  If your 4.5Ghz CPU is only getting 15fps, then there is definitely much more room for performance optimization.  I would start by making sure you are not wasting CPU cycles and Harddrive time by loading distant land meshes and objects that aren't even being displayed: the easiest way to do this is by turning on the FPS Manager in Oblivion Reloaded, but you can also do this by modifying the Oblivion.ini.  As a test: turn off Distant Lands and see what frame rates you get -- this is probably close to the FPS you can hope to get by doing performance optimizations.

The Oblivion Engine is not performance optimized for the relatively detailed exterior worldspace of Morroblivion where every single village, town and city is part of the same open-world... instead, it expects to be loading the sparse exterior Cells of Cyrodiil or the much smaller detailed city interior sections of the Imperial City.  Thankfully, much of the engine's behavior can be tweaked through the Oblivion.ini file or through plugins like Oblivion Reloaded and Oblivion Stutter Remover.

Thank you.

The guide is still being revised as some of the mods have been updated. Ponyrider0 has also been busy over the last couple of months creating more fixes and mods for us. Therefore quite a few revisions have been made to the guide. Make certain to review anything that has changed since you began modding with this guide.

I always try to post these changes on this forum to let everyone know what has been updated. It is my goal to finish this guide before the holidays hit us, and they are fast approaching. 

Thank you.

The guide is still being revised as some of the mods have been updated. (...)

Thank you for your fast response! I guess I'll wait a little bit more - it seems it's easier for a beginner to wait until guide is revised fully :)

One question - is step 'Converting Tamriel Rebuilt to Morroblivion' mandatory? It seems optional but I'm not sure.

Yes, there are 2-3 spots in Seyda Neen which will surprisingly tax the game engine due to an unfortunate alignment of NPC AI processing, Physics Processing, Collision Detection and Distant Lands drawing. (...)

Thank you for detailed description! :) I'm sure this will help in troubleshooting later. I'm looking for solid 30 FPS an I hope it can be done.

Thank you for your fast response! I guess I'll wait a little bit more - it seems it's easier for a beginner to wait until guide is revised fully :)

One question - is step 'Converting Tamriel Rebuilt to Morroblivion' mandatory? It seems optional but I'm not sure.

It is optional and recommended mainly for the experienced modder. I will check and make certain to put the Optional flag on it.

If anyone sees a mod that I flagged incorrectly, please let me know. Of course, as I state in the guide, all mods are optional. However, I have flagged some as Core because they fixes or mods that I felt should be installed. If you all don't mind, help me pay attention to those flags.

BTW, since I'm reinstalling my mods with Mod Organizer this time around, I will include my modlist.txt and loadorder.txt when the guide is complete. I'll try to have a separate page to share the modlist, much like jd and paul have done with their  SRLE: Legacy of The Dragonborn Reqtified guide.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I am always open to hear them. Especially from the new modders who need clearer instructions. Sometimes those of us who have been modding for years forget to mention smaller details that a person new to modding may not be familiar with. For the modders who are more experienced than I am, I welcome your feedback as well. I love to learn and I know that we have some very knowledgeable people on STEP Wiki that are great teachers as well as mod authors. I encourage feedback from everyone who is willing.

You dropped Voicefile Redirector?

MOB Corprus Immunity Fixer keeps popping up on a new game and doesn't stop.  Is this really needed?

Otherwise, looks good to this point in the guide

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that mod: Corprus Immunity Fixer only has one purpose: removing a permanent status effect icon bug which only occurs if you do not install Morroblivion-Fixes early in your game.  It's safe to just uninstall or unload that mod.

RE: Voicefile Redirectory, I think Diana is just moving it to another section ("Extenders and DLL Enhancement Section").

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that mod: Corprus Immunity Fixer only has one purpose: removing a permanent status effect icon bug which only occurs if you do not install Morroblivion-Fixes early in your game.  It's safe to just uninstall or unload that mod.

RE: Voicefile Redirectory, I think Diana is just moving it to another section ("Extenders and DLL Enhancement Section").

Yes, Voicefile Redirectory has been moved to the Extenders and DLL Enhancements section. I should have noted that here, but forgot. I'll also try to remember to make a clearer note about Corpus Immuntiy Fixer. I can't perform any editing tonight, but I'll make a note to do these things Monday. Thank you mcshame for bringing this to my attention. 

I'll keep checking in every so often over the weekend. The husband and I are just taking some much needed personal time.

A few quick suggestions from beginner's point of view :)

1) I'm using GOG version of both Oblivion and Morrowind - there's bug in Oblivion's BSA, ESM and ESP files - they miss Modified Date attribute (it's blank). This prevents Wrye Bash from launching properly - fix is available at https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/100238-wrye-bash/?p=54009393 (but it's needed for all mentioned files) - it's good to mention this in your guide

2) Mod Organizer should be located at bottom of it's section - I presume Wrye Bash is preferred choice. Also I don't understand why TesModManager is above WB - in it's detailed instruction WB is mentioned and necessary to complete setup. I think WB>TMM>MO is most logical order

3) Oblivion Data screenshot is misleading - it suggests backing up whole Data folder - as opposed to description's everything except BSA files

4) Merge Plugins - there's no mention when should I use it, so it seems pointless to install it

5) MOB_CG Voices - there you sholud split install in two options - first for combining all 13 flies and second dor ponyrider0's archive (which I assume is ready to install as it is)

6) it should be stated somewhere that mods from "Quests and Adventures" are used in Oblivion only - I see this guide is creating not only Morroblivion, but overhauled Oblivion too.

More coming... :)