SMC with SRLE Extended: LotD

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my concern with writing an SMC integration guide for a step project....  IMO to get things looking as intended you really need some of those 'unavailable' mods and the step forum IIRC is pretty picky about linking to / talking about / etc taken down / unavailable mod packs.

Personally I'd want to just drop them in a public dropbox folder but I'm not sure how to let people know to get them without violating rules.

Also make sure you edit the settings.ini to force DLC otherwise you're missing a large section of mods that require DLC.

Edited by jdsmith2816

Yep, STEP does respect mod author rights fairly stringently. Any talk about mod piracy cannot take place here. Or on Nexus, as you will get permabanned. Or on /r/skyrimmods because they have the same policies about piracy.

Totally different story if you have consent from the mod author to distribute, but if you do not, then such a discussion is not permitted here.

I'm just about to install SMC so I'll give you the results when I'm ready :)

I think its pretty good and most of the textures transitions are not half bad like some other individual texture packs.

I have most if not all the removed files(SRTO mountains is the best). The overall size isnt that bad even with all the 4k optionals which I can barely make work with 6GB VRAM.

I think its pretty good and most of the textures transitions are not half bad like some other individual texture packs.

I have most if not all the removed files(SRTO mountains is the best). The overall size isnt that bad even with all the 4k optionals which I can barely make work with 6GB VRAM.

Do you use an ENB though? I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to 4K textures, although do you think it would be wise to use only 4K on mountain and map textures and keep everything else 1K-2K? I doubt substituting 4K textures with 2K textures is very noticeable. One more question: How big should the ground (ground covers, snow, dirt, etc.) textures be on a rig with a 6GB VRAM card? Is the change in texture resolution noticeable with those textures?

Do you use an ENB though? I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to 4K textures, although do you think it would be wise to use only 4K on mountain and map textures and keep everything else 1K-2K? I doubt substituting 4K textures with 2K textures is very noticeable. One more question: How big should the ground (ground covers, snow, dirt, etc.) textures be on a rig with a 6GB VRAM card? Is the change in texture resolution noticeable with those textures?

With my SMC install I'm sitting around 5-5.5GB utilized in exteriors... For most things I used the HQ version but for mountains for sure you'll want 4k textures when available.   For interiors 4K all the way.. also for monsters that are only found on interiors such as dwemer people.   I'd rather have 4k/2k/1k diffuse/normal/spec than pure 2k as you'll find the visual quality better without taking up much more VRAM as the diffuse texture is what benefits the most by far from being higher quality.

Edited by jdsmith2816

With my SMC install I'm sitting around 5-5.5GB utilized in exteriors... For most things I used the HQ version but for mountains for sure you'll want 4k textures when available.   For interiors 4K all the way.. also for monsters that are only found on interiors such as dwemer people.   I'd rather have 4k/2k/1k diffuse/normal/spec than pure 2k as you'll find the visual quality better without taking up much more VRAM as the diffuse texture is what benefits the most by far from being higher quality.

Thanks so much for that advice! I'll be sure to implement 4K textures onto mountains. I remembered them being a bit ugly in SRLE Extended (They were 2K)

Edited by MattsDaZombieSlayer

Tried to install SMC without all of the mods and yeah.... some things don't look that great. ;)

I'm not sure I have it in me to search for the mods that are unavailable.

Well if you decid to obtain such mods its pretty easy to find the right links if you look for that mod with the term request next to the name of the mod when googling.

Really? I myself love Northfire's Photoreal Mountains, they look amazing and are by far the only mountains I have found that are outstanding and look vanilla once you get the gre stone overlay in the optionals. 

If you go all 4K armor textures you're going ot eat up VRAM fast since it'll affect all npcs as well. 

I was looking around the web on articles about texture resolution and most said that 4K textures aren't even noticeable on 2K monitors (my monitor is 2k with gsync), which is sometimes not true. For example, 4K tens would appear really good, but 1K or even 2K tents look like mush when up close. This is because the whole tent shares one texture. Same goes with dragons/dragon skeletons, too. So, if I were to finalize my decision, I would choose 1K/512MB textures for clutter and small, common things, 2K textures for everything else, and finally, 4K textures for very special and huge things like tents or dragon skeletons.