SRLE Extended: Legacy of The Dragonborn

Do you have any suggestions of a replacement for LoS? We need some light out in these spooky woods!

Nothing springs to mind for keeping performance as high as possible and time between CTD's as low as possible.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind with guides like SRLE, Extended, Extended LotD, Reqtified, YASHed up, is that because people *expect* skyrim to CTD frequently, mods aren't necessarily vetted to ensure they don't *increase* the CTD rate before being added to the guides. Another factor to keep in mind is that to *maintain* guides as large as this, little time is available to play something other than TES5Edit for long enough to discover CTD inducing mods.

I spent a *lot* of time over the last 18 months vetting my load order for CTD increasing mods and finding ways to boost performance and minimising stutter. I came up with a guide (here) for the latter and am slowly working on finding and removing CTD inducing mods from the parts of Extended LotD that I used. I skipped LotD and its plugin mods entirely because I don't trust that it, or its plugin mods are stable and well built.

Edited by LordOfLA

@LordOfLA - those are pretty bold accusations all around. I’ve been curating my own install for about the past year (though in various forms for the last three years) and have done rather extensive ‘play testing’, including multiple playthroughs up to lvl 20-40. My build includes Lanterns of Skyrim and always has, and I rarely ever CTD - I can play for days without one. I don’t use LOTD but not because of fears of its quality, just personal preference.

While guide authors may not have the time to 100% play test their guides, there is a fairly large community for the LOTD mod itself, let alone this guide who are constantly play testing and giving feedback, and both the guide and the mod have responsive authors who are incorporating that collective knowledge as they evolve.

None of this is to say you’re wrong, as I can’t say for certain. But some specifics to your claims might be helpful - ie what is it about the LoS meshes that don’t *cause* (because if they did, everyone would know) but increase the likelihood of CTDs?

If this is so, how does one determine these dangerous meshes and which mods include them? Beyond all of that, *how much* do they increase the chance to CTD? Is this measurable? Are there reports from users?

Thanks, I foresee having a lot of questions ;)  Under the Optimised Textures section, for the Bethesda Performance Textures, there are two mods (with Nexus suffices 43921 and 42360) with multiple component files for each mod.  Ought I use Merge Plugins on them so they only take up two slots total (one each), rather than three or four per mod?

No cause those mods don't have plugins to merge.

Anyone else have any issue with Wheels of Lull messing up music and sounds?  I'm about 2/3 through WoL and now none of my music plays (except the occasional WoL music even in the outside world).  I see a ton of posts about this, but only fixes i see are temporary via console.  I'd just remove the mod but I don't want to mess up my current game, and like what it adds to LotD.  Anyone know of a way to fix this in Xedit, or savegame script cleaner, or anything??  Thx!!

@LordOfLA - those are pretty bold accusations all around. I’ve been curating my own install for about the past year (though in various forms for the last three years) and have done rather extensive ‘play testing’, including multiple playthroughs up to lvl 20-40. My build includes Lanterns of Skyrim and always has, and I rarely ever CTD - I can play for days without one. I don’t use LOTD but not because of fears of its quality, just personal preference.

While guide authors may not have the time to 100% play test their guides, there is a fairly large community for the LOTD mod itself, let alone this guide who are constantly play testing and giving feedback, and both the guide and the mod have responsive authors who are incorporating that collective knowledge as they evolve.

None of this is to say you’re wrong, as I can’t say for certain. But some specifics to your claims might be helpful - ie what is it about the LoS meshes that don’t *cause* (because if they did, everyone would know) but increase the likelihood of CTDs?

If this is so, how does one determine these dangerous meshes and which mods include them? Beyond all of that, *how much* do they increase the chance to CTD? Is this measurable? Are there reports from users?

IMO large player communities mean little for projects such as this guide as the vast majority of them will attribute CTD's to either Skyrim being crash prone or having done something wrong. The number of users sufficiently competent at skyrim modding to figure out otherwise is small. This said I wouldn't expect guide curators to inspect a project as large as LotD for mesh/navmesh/ai package issues, that I'd leave up to the creators of such a large project.

I was looking to provide specifics but the surviving log of nifscan output I have seems to be post-los-removal from my setup. It is fairly easy to point nifscan at the LoS meshes and generate the info you need however. There is a comment on the posts tab by user Beezle on how to strip the output of issues you need not care about.

Lastly part of your avoidance of LoS related CTD's could be down to how you play and Skyrims own random tolerance/intollerance of broken meshes. I suspect if you fast travel all over the place instead running everywhere as I do you will encounter few to no broken LoS meshes to cause Skyrim to CTD.

In my case running down a road past more than a few LoS meshes would drop me to the desktop. Changing nothing beyond removing LoS and rerunning DynDOLOD resolved that CTD restoring my ability to play most of the day without crashing.

I play without fast travel, and run or walk everywhere...

About the guides / community - yes, most modders aren't knowledgeable enough to be able to understand and properly correlate CTD's (I would put myself on that list, despite being fairly capable with all the tools).  However this community (the SRLEXLOTD AND the wider STEP community) has quite a few extremely knowledgeable people in it, and I have watched as re-produceable CTD's and other stability issues have been identified and sorted multiple times right here on this thread.

Its the re-produceable part that bothers me here; I have one experience, you have another.  How is it possible that our experiences are so different?  A corrupt mesh should be a corrupt mesh and should induce CTD in my game just as much as yours, regardless of setup, no? 

I don't frequent the STEP forums very much so the number of people I would trust implicity is quite small. Should I increase my participation I would hope that would grow. But yes issues will be identified and addressed, that is what I was trying to do when mentioning LoS being a source of CTD's.

On the re-producability I know  of atleast 3 other people from the r/skyrimmods community that have had CTD issues with LoS that have gone away when it was the only mod removed. You might want to setup a test profile in MO and see if your stability increases without LoS.

Trying to clean the Undeath mod set - I installed all three Base, Immersive, Classical, as well as the Patch and the Scrye Fix).  Created the dummy master via WB for Immersive.  Linn's linked guide says to load xEdit with Classical, SRLE page says to load xEdit with Immersive, (typo?  If you load with Immersive, then some steps in guide cannot be completed, since Classical does not show up to remove the necessary items), so after loading Classical, following all the steps in the guide, the mod is presumably cleaned and ready to use.  However, I cannot find where to delete the dummy master.  Back in WB I checked Immersive, as well as Bashed Patch 0 and the RaceCompatibility.esm that is the dummy, but none have the option to remove them, at least not in language that makes it immediately obvious the way it was to create it.  Do I literally just delete something from MO's folder (or, technically, move it to the Recycle Bin) using Windows Explorer file system, without using any modding tools to remove it?

Edited by alphakay1488

Trying to clean the Undeath mod set - I installed all three Base, Immersive, Classical, as well as the Patch and the Scrye Fix).  Created the dummy master via WB for Immersive.  Linn's linked guide says to load xEdit with Classical, SRLE page says to load xEdit with Immersive, (typo?  If you load with Immersive, then some steps in guide cannot be completed, since Classical does not show up to remove the necessary items), so after loading Classical, following all the steps in the guide, the mod is presumably cleaned and ready to use.  However, I cannot find where to delete the dummy master.  Back in WB I checked Immersive, as well as Bashed Patch 0 and the RaceCompatibility.esm that is the dummy, but none have the option to remove them, at least not in language that makes it immediately obvious the way it was to create it.  Do I literally just delete something from MO's folder (or, technically, move it to the Recycle Bin) using Windows Explorer file system, without using any modding tools to remove it?

the dummy plugins are found in the Overwrite folder this can be found either at the bottom of the left in MO or navigating to Mod Organizer\overwrite and deleting the files found within.

@LordOfLA:

Your statement about crash fixes is wrong, as already said, this settings is useful only if you face "running out of memory" message.

This option is an attempt to fix memory fragmentation problem.

About your assumption against LoS which generates CTD, I use this mod since two years in many build and never facing CTD with it. Even if i forget to change the check timer which be ridiculously short for this kind of mod.

I know what the custom allocator is for in crash fixes. I suggested the idea to meh and helped him test it. I just never seem to be around when he is to alert him to the CTD introduced in the most recent release of crash fixes.

I do not make claims as I have for fits and giggles, but you do you.

In the changelog for 29/9/17 it says Removed: Sky UI - show armor slots - updated - Frostfall patch. When I go to the mod in the guide under special installation instructions it still gives a link for a Frostfall patch. I've installed the patch right underneath Sky UI - show armor slots - updated, but in the left pane in MO it says the patch is redundant, being overwritten by Frostfall itself. What is the proper placement for this patch in MO? I should move it underneath Frostfall so it's not useless right?

In the changelog for 29/9/17 it says Removed: Sky UI - show armor slots - updated - Frostfall patch. When I go to the mod in the guide under special installation instructions it still gives a link for a Frostfall patch. I've installed the patch right underneath Sky UI - show armor slots - updated, but in the left pane in MO it says the patch is redundant, being overwritten by Frostfall itself. What is the proper placement for this patch in MO? I should move it underneath Frostfall so it's not useless right?

there are now instructions to remove the files from frostfall but you could just load Sky UI - show armor slots - updated - Frostfall patch after Frostfall if you want.

aMidianBorn's Imperial Forts is hidden on the website. Just wondering if it's really needed?

I have a copy of the download (Had to download it for Ultimate Skyrim by Belmont Boy) but he didn't require the optional file that SRLE Extended LOTD does.

So I can install it but just not with the 2K Vanilla Option. 

Shadow

If you wanted you can go without hopefully the mod author is just doing an update and it will be back soon but I will add it to the wife's to do list. She'll be back and start updating stuff tomorrow