Strange crashes

GlassWizzard

Question

So, I've just finished following the guide and my game doesn't run, it crashes instantly.

So I started to disable mods one by one to find which ones were causing it, turns out none are. Even with all mods disabled the game still crashes when starting, which makes no sense whatsoever since before installing any mods I tested the game and it worked fine. I even tested it with about half the mods installed and it worked fine so something broke along the way.

What could it be?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Where is the troubleshooting section? I can't find it.

But me missing something in the guide doesn't account for the game not working when all the mods have been removed, I had this same problem with the Clear and Present Danger guide, which I followed through three separate times.

F&LNV doesn't have a dedicated "troubleshooting" section as such, other than where you are right now.

When you started to disable mods in an attempt to track down the rogue mod causing the issue, did you also remember to disable your bashed or merged patches?

Try and replicate the setup you had at the half way mark and create a new profile in MO and save that setup in that. Add more mods in stages, making new profiles as you go, that way you have a safe fallback position.

More often than not CTDs or instant crashes on start up are missing masters, so examine closely your install to see that you have them all and their BSAs are loading correctly.

I normally get an instant crsh, no error or anything. But last night I deleted my data folder and allowed steam to download a fresh one.

Since I use mod organizer, simply switching to the appropiate profile put all the mods back where they should be. I deleted the inis and made fresh ones.

I then cleaned the DLC files, then did the ini tweaks.

Now when I run the 4gb launcher from MO I get this message: Error while injecting helper into remote thread. The specified module could not be found.

Then after clicking OK I get another message: Application load error 3:0000065432

Running NVSE (from MO) causes the screen to go black for a few sseconds then CTD

In MO I have a vanilla profile that does the same things as above when running the 4gb launcher or nvse rough MO.

Running the game from the regular launcher works fine, but since I'm using MO, my mods aren't there unless I launch from MO. (same for 4gb and nvse)

This problem is 100% identical to the issues I had with Clear and Present Danger.

Any ideas?

Edit: Also, running nvse_loader.exe from the games folder works fine too, but not from MO. And again without any mods.

Edit: Those errors from the 4gb launcher are fixed now, i accidentally deleted it's dll file. Also I forgot to add those arguments -laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe. Now launching the 4gb launcher from MO does the same things as launching nvse, a black screen for a few seconds then a ctd.

I think nvse is causing the crash perhaps? Or at least a plugin.

Edited by GlassWizzard

Yeah the errors you had with the 4GBLoader are the same I've experienced when revalidating with Steam and running the launcher from MO. Have you made sure to tick "Have MO manage archives" under the archives tab on the right and ticked all the archives there? 

When you say you deleted the inis and made fresh ones did you remember to copy them over to the INI editor in MO? MO makes its own inis for each profile. 

Just to be clear, are you able to launch the game without NVSE or the 4GBLoader from MO?

Yeah the errors you had with the 4GBLoader are the same I've experienced when revalidating with Steam and running the launcher from MO. Have you made sure to tick "Have MO manage archives" under the archives tab on the right and ticked all the archives there? 

When you say you deleted the inis and made fresh ones did you remember to copy them over to the INI editor in MO? MO makes its own inis for each profile. 

Just to be clear, are you able to launch the game without NVSE or the 4GBLoader from MO?

"Have MO manage archives" was ticked, but I noticed several BSAs that were not ticked, so I ticked them.

This has made a difference, now the same thing happens no matter how I choose to run the game through MO 
(I did set up all the executables as described in the guide). FalloutNV.exe, the regular launcher, nvse and the 4gb launcher, I tried them all.

It gets a little further, now the title screen almost shows but the game CTDs two seconds after the music starts.

If I switch to the vanilla rofile, the game runs and starts fine through the 4gb exe.

It must have been those unticked BSAs, because now the crash seems to be caused by a mod, and it seems I could figure out which one by unticking them until the game works. Which I will now do and report back :)

A strange thing is happening, everything in the load order is ticked except for the last three mods. The LOD is at the very end and is ticked, but before that are these three unticked ones: Tales from the Burning Sands - Project Nevada Patch, Tutorial Killer, and F&L Game Tweaks.

With these three unticked the game starts fine (forgot to try loading a save tbh), but the game starts. It doesn't matter which one of those three mods I tick, ticking one will cause the crash two secs after the music starts. I think it might be reaching the esp limit, which is ok since I haven't made the bashed patch yet.

Yeah the unticked BSAs were probably what was causing you to crash on start, as the game will crash if it can't find the files for the opening audio (which is in one of the BSAs). F&L Game Tweaks you can try to remake after doing everything else, that won't do any harm. Tutorial Killer I don't use personally so I can't say much about what exactly it's trying to do (i.e. how it works on the inside), but I know it has some patches for other mods so perhaps it's missing a master or something of the like. Try downloading both of those mods (TK + BS - PN Patch) again and see if that helps, usually only master errors or pretty extreme conflicts ends up crashing the game before you load a save, so it might just be the files were corrupted somehow. 

Might also be worth checking if making a bashed patch helps first, because as you say you might be reaching the plugin limit. Also make sure that the archiveinvalidation bsa is sorted at the top of the list under the archives tab in MO.

Edited by MonoAccipiter