Help, I can't not use an ENB

Tempest

Question

So here's the situation: up until yesterday, I was using VandB ENB and having a lot of stuttering. While looking for stutter fixes, I thought what the hell, I'll see what I can pull of using Imaginator and ICBINE3.

Since I use ENB Manager, I went and switched from my VandB setting and changed to No ENB (and hit activate). Then, I started the game and attempted to coc whiterun. CTD 20 seconds in to the load. I tried again but instead did coc whiterundragonsreach. This time, the game loaded fine but then it immediately crashed if I tried to go outdoors.

I then tried making a new ENB manager setting that would include only enbhost, d3d9 and enblocal (the one I'd customized) for the sake of ENBoost (as detailed in the step guide). Same problem; game crashed when I try to go outdoors.

I then tried making a new ENB manager setting that would include only enbhost, d3d9 and enblocal (this time fresh enblocal from the enbseries download with edits from the guide) for the sake of ENBoost. Same problem; game crashed when I try to go outdoors.

Finally, I reactivated VandB and I can go outdoors a-ok. What the hell? This makes me think that it is either something in my inis that is specific to enb or something in my load order. 

I have searched high and low for a solution with zero luck so far. Can someone take a look and try to spot the offender please? You can have my firstborn instead of Sheson.

Modlist - https://pastebin.com/DjE6FJzb Seems to be upside down....

Very strange to see this, and posted only a day ago. I'm having a very similar problem to the OP. When I have d3d9.dll in my Skyrim folder, I get some strange behaviors with my Skyrim. The first thing I noticed is that if I try to 'coc whiterun' from the main menu, I instantly CTD. Every coc I tried from the main menu crashed except qasmoke and volunruud01. As soon as I delete d3d9.dll, I can coc around.

I wish I knew more about ENB so that I could help, but I suppose I'll just keep watch on this thread for now and try to mess around on my own. I have some other issues as well, like a random, massive FPS drop in Helgan just before the carts stop in the intro, so I may make a thread of my own if I find more problems.

Edited by Sarcasm

I take it you're an author? Else, there is really no reason to have a decompiler. I would remove all those screenshots from the directory too.

I've looked at the ESP that comes with VandB ENB, VandB ENB Nature.esp. It has a ton of image space and weather edits, among other things. This is most likely the cause the issue. Most of the image space changes should have been done via ENBSeries and not with a plugin. This is very atypical of ENB Presets. Of these edits, I don't know what get baked into a save and what doesn't, but after seeing these changes, I would use that ESP with caution.

I'm going to recommend you remove that ESP if you haven't done so, make sure your merge plugins are still okay, and then take the time to start a new game and see if it works. Many things are initialized when a new game is created and simply COCing to an area from the main menu is not the same as creating a new game.

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Since you're not running STEP, you have a lot of mods I'm not familiar with. I'll have to defer this over to Neovalen for SR:LE support.

Hmm I've been running without the esp for all my attempts thus far. Sadly, even with a new game, I still crash when I try to exit the LAL prison cell thingy. In any case, I've swapped ENBs as well. When I started out trying to figure it out, it was because VandB was suffering from a lot of stuttering despite having dropped a lot of settings. I've since switched to NLA and I'm getting much better performance, nearly no stuttering and all this without having to turn anything down. So even if we are unable to figure this no enb situation out, I'm running NLA now. Thanks for all your help thus far TechAngel85.