Skyboost results

When I first found out about SkyBoost, a patch had been released making it useless, but I did try it out briefly before 1.4.21 came along. I don't know if it was because it was in Beta, but I didn't notice any boost to FPS at all.

I'm curious if anyone tried that Beta and what their results were.

Brief specs:

Intel Core i5 2500K (4.0GHz overclock)

Nvidia GTX580

1900x1200 resolution with Ultra settings

I do have some tweaks applied to Skyrim, with probably the biggest ones affecting performance being increased shadow draw distance and uGridsToLoad set to 7.

It may be that shiny kit like that doesn't see much of a benefit. My old banger is an unusual configuration, and SkyBoost does help. In fact, it runs remarkably well in ultra @ 1680x1050, so long as I stick to the lower end of the textures. I'll dig out FRAPS and run some numbers in tough spots.

Intel Q6600

8GB

2 x Nvidia 260 GTX in SLI (recently bought the second one on ebay for next to nothing, rather than upgrading yet)

Intel SSD

Yeah you won't much benefit from skyboost if you can already run skyrim at 40+ fps, those running at 10, 20, 30 fps can receive amazing performance boosts.

With your machine you will only see noticeable improvements (at least a +5 fps increase) in extremely heavy cpu areas, lots of shadows, falling leaves, smoke are the situations you'll get a bump.

The new version will include gpu optimizations as well so you may get more mileage out of it (fog, magic effects, fire and possibly even post processing, SSAO, and AA will take much less gpu power).

I tested at top of Whiterun looking down, on ultra, all of STEP with lower res textures, plus Beautiful Whiterun and the RCRN shaders.

With Skyboost on, lowest FPS I could get was 31, rising to 56, depending on where I looked.

Without SB, on exactly the same spot from the same save, it bottoms out at 23 - 24, while the top end is about the same.

At that position being completely still, I'm at 50, with a drop to 45 if looking around. In some outdoor areas with a lot of detail and waterfalls in the distance, I drop to 40. In either case, I didn't get any increase to FPS. I haven't tested scenes with a lot of particles like smoke though. He does have a version out for 1.4.27, but I have all my mods uninstalled at the moment so haven't tested it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I'm in the same boat as Faitmaker. Without SkyBoost, my OC'd 5770 can handle STEP Skyrim pretty well, but throw in an ENB DoF on top of that and it spends a bit too much time in the low 20s for my tastes... but I have trouble getting used again to playing without bokeh DoF, it feels like a huge step back in immersion.

Alexander says that he'll only make a 1.5 version if Beth doesn't make a new patch within the next "20-30 days". The Witcher 1 (finally getting around to this classic) should easily carry me through then, and in the meanwhile I can use that time to tweak my mod setup.

Afaik bethesda won't release any update in the near future. I guess their resources are focused on DLC for XBox and HOPEFULLY getting some fixes for matters like:

vibrating shadows, SLI-Water-Artifacts, code-implied bottlenecks, z-fighting and the like.

I'd really love to check out skyboost. never did so far, cuz I got to know it too late.

Alexander has stated that he is working on Skyboost 1.5.26. Just take my word for it, because reading through the comments section on his site is not healthy for well-adjusted human beings. :facepalm:

This is very welcome, and I hope he won't be discouraged. The fundamental changes that have occurred since his last version have made staying on the old version less viable.

@MontyMM,

You're right on both counts.

I've been using 1.4 for the duration, and am very much looking forward to the 1.5.26; quick question-when I let Steam update, but then swap out the .exe files, does that negate everything pertinent to the update?

...also; I believe that the comments on Alexanders site may just be the most juvenile flap-a-doodle-doo I've ever had the misfortune to mine for information.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2