Back-dating BSAs

Sydney

Question

I've done quite a bit of searching but there's not much information about this feature. Does anyone know exactly what it does?

As far as I can tell, Archive Invalidation creates a BSA that does something or other. I imagine this can be done at any time. Maybe.

But I'm not sure how to go about using "back-date" after I've installed a number of mods.

Do I:

• Just enable it
  • Untick all mods, then enable it
  • Start over, and enable it

There is some contradiction in the documentation via your Related Videos link - Gopher says to click the Automatic Archive Invalidation check box and, if I recall, doesn't say much about the Backdate BSA button at all. So if some one came here or to the WIKI from watching the video first...

I personally learn better by watching/listening to something - as most people do. School lectures, watching videos.

I then find something that I can read to reinforce what I saw/heard. Reading my notes, following your WIKI.

If I remember correctly, there is the same issue with cleaning Update.esm and the DLC .esms. He says to select Update.esm and the DLC.esm that you want to clean. You say to just select the DLC.esm. If there is a difference between the two, you should be ready for questions from people that don't have the level of knowledge that you do.

Edited by BuddaBelly

I am pretty sure our instructions do say to select Update.ESM in TES5Edit. If they don't, somebody deleted that step accidentally.

As to AI, It doesn't hurt to use it in Syria, although it may not do anything at all. Same goes for Backdating BSAs.

Please realize as well that video guides do not always get it right, although in both the situations you mention, Gopher is giving sound instruction.

Edit: Skyrim, not Syria. Stupid autocorrect!

If I remember correctly, there is the same issue with cleaning Update.esm and the DLC .esms. He says to select Update.esm and the DLC.esm that you want to clean. You say to just select the DLC.esm. If there is a difference between the two, you should be ready for questions from people that don't have the level of knowledge that you do.

There is no need to select any file for cleaning other than the one you want to clean. xEdit reads the 'Header' of every plugin you load and IF that plugin needs another to load, ie. as a MASTER, then it will automatically load it for you.

Is there any difference in the outcome if you manually select Update along with the plugin you want to clean? No. You have only done what the xEdit would have done by itself.

Long story short -- @Gopher doesn't know all the "ins and outs" of every tool. (Still a very fine YouTube creator though.)

There is no need to select any file for cleaning other than the one you want to clean. xEdit reads the 'Header' of every plugin you load and IF that plugin needs another to load, ie. as a MASTER, then it will automatically load it for you.

Is there any difference in the outcome if you manually select Update along with the plugin you want to clean? No. You have only done what the xEdit would have done by itself.

Long story short -- @Gopher doesn't know all the "ins and outs" of every tool. (Still a very fine YouTube creator though.)

That only works for explicit dependencies. Update.esm is an implicit dependency of the DLC, so it should also be selected when cleaning the DLC. Source: https://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit

That only works for explicit dependencies. Update.esm is an implicit dependency of the DLC, so it should also be selected when cleaning the DLC. Source: https://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit

True. Update is an implicit dependency, however for the sake of argument, my comment is still true. Using xEdit to clean a DLC you can "Select none" then select only the DLC you wish to clean and then all the other plugins it needs will be loaded as well. The right-click on just that DLC plugin and "Apply script for cleaning". I have never seen, nor experienced, the need to select Update.esm along with the others for cleaning.

The point about cleaning plugins in the correct order however is one that should always be highlighted. Very important to do them in the order they should be.

This is a quote from S.T.E.P. WIKI:

This is the Official DLC from Bethesda. It should follow the Cleaned Updated.esm in the left pane modlist. If custom, optimized versions of the textures from Dawnguard are used, they should be placed directly after it. Also, Dawnguard.esm must be cleaned in TES5Edit:

1. Make a backup of Dawnguard.esm from <skyrim>/data directory by copying it to the desktop (or somewhere else handy).
  2. Run TES5Edit through Mod Organizer.
  3. Right-click the list of plugins and choose [select None].
  4. Double-click Dawnguard.esm.
  5. Wait for the Background Loader: finished in the right panel, and then right-click [Dawnguard.esm] and select [Apply Filter For Cleaning].
  6. Wait for the [Filtering done] Processed Records: message in the right panel, and then right-click [Dawnguard.esm] and select [Remove "Identical to Master" records]. If the Warning! prompt pops up, click [Yes, I'm absolutely sure].
  7. Wait for the [Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: message, and then right-click [Dawnguard.esm] and select [undelete and Disable References].
  8. Wait for the [undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: message, and then click the [X] at upper right of the program window to exit the program.
  9. At the prompt, checkmark Dawnguard.esm and Backup Plugins and click [OK].
  10. Dawnguard is a special case. It must be cleaned twice. Repeat steps 2 through 9.

I use S.T.E.P. and Gopher videos as a basis for resolving my game build and helping me to troubleshoot issues. I have nothing but respect for the information you both impart to the gaming community. I apologize if I came across as denigrating any of either of your contributions, knowledge of the subject matter or the amount of personal time you spend to help the community.

The point I was trying to make, obviously very poorly, was in response to an earlier post that included: "How many times/places do I have to post .....

The poster was apparently frustrated. My point was to try to actually answer their question. Due to lack of knowledge, confusion or even background ( like myself: 6 years as a nuclear reactor operator on a US Navy submarine, 4 years as an operator of a commercial nuclear power plant, 13 years in the radioactive waste processing and shipping industry, QA/QC..... verbatim compliance to procedures) you will get questions. You guys are the experts, if you say to do it this way and someone you reference says to do it differently and there is no explanation as to the reason for them, confusion will ensue.   Please don't let them get you down ( don't want you going postal ). Take a deep breath and remember that without your dedication and hard work there are a lot of gamers out there enjoying the game that probably wouldn't be due to how Bethesda chose to release it.

Again, I apologize.

Edited by BuddaBelly

Thanks for pointing that out. It seems when Z revised them awhile back, he removed the part where Update.esm needs to be checked in the Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC cleaning instructions, and therefore is a bug in our instructions. I only corrected the mistake in the Hearthfire instructions it seems. Fixed.