TechAngel85

xEdit Guide

Do you think this might be better served if it was a 'xEdit' guide rather than specifically a 'TES5Edit' guide?

I don't think they are much different, as I've used FNVEdit myself and don't recall it feeling much different (without me going and loading up both right now to see the differences...).

Do you think this might be better served if it was a 'xEdit' guide rather than specifically a 'TES5Edit' guide?

I don't know. Is there a big difference in how the different versions work?

There isn't much difference, just some functions which are unavailble from a version to another, but nothing critical.

The only weak point of having a global xEdit guide instead of a TES5Edit one is that when learning, from a total newbie point of view, it's quite disturbing. I learned to use it while I barely had an idea of what a record was, reading miax's FO3Edit while trying to apply stuff to Skyrim, and I felt lost... (but it might just be me ^^)

Fact is, a TES5Edit guide is basically an xEdit guide...

About cleaning files : 

I believe this specific part should be kept as standalone, so it can quickly be referenced as : "go there and follow this tutorial to clean your plugins". Functions used for cleaning should be described and explained in the main guide as well, but probably not as a step by step tutorial (InSTEPtion...).

To anyone reading the guide :

Keep in mind that it haven't been checked by "top-class TES5Edit masters" such as Zilav or Sharlikran (This topic got posted a little bit too soon ^^). Nothing technical is added yet so it doesn't really matter, but don't believe everything the author is writing there for now ;)

@Alternity : Will do. But you know that you can edit the wiki too right ? :p

I posted this to make others aware that it has happening because we have some members around here that are top notch with TES5Edit that may want to help out in writing it. The more the merrier!

There some minor differences, but basically it is the same tool. I'm just thinking if we make the guide universal then any links from game specific guides won't need to be duplicated. There're already a couple of different versions of the ESM cleaning guide and they can all be folded into this with the same set of instructions applicable to all.

I have already started, many months ago, to look through the guides available on the net and a lot needs to changed and some things need to removed. Even the wiki is just a copy/paste of the Miax's guide mentioned above.

Okay, then we can make it a xEdit Guide. And anyone can feel free to update the guide. This goes for all of our Guides on the wiki. Feel free to edit. Just remember to post your updates to the Guide's Forum Thread which is linked at the top of every Guide.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jeof96
      I followed the instructions on setting up the tools
      Right now, as a workaround, I just manually backed up Update.esm and copy it somewhere, before cleaning with xEditQuickAutoClean.
    • By Gutmaw
      Hey all, I'm very familiar with the STEP guides for Skyrim (including SRLE and SRLE Extended), and looking to jump into FO4.  I found a handful of FO4 guides, looking for your experienced opinions on the best/most stable/current FO4 mod pack/guide.  

Here are the guides I found so far...
      Fallout 4 Mod List and Load Order Guide (BiRaitBec Modlist)
      wip-fallout-4-using-modorganizer-2 by Gernash
      https://forum.step-project.com/topic/12227-fallout-4-mod-it-till-it-breaks-my-personal-guide/ by Fenris95

Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks

Rig:
      MSI SLI PLus Z270 mobo...Intel i5-7600K (4.5GHz OC)...Team T-Force Night Hawk 16MB DDR4 3000 RAM...EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming GPU...Crucial m4 256GB SATA SSD (OS and misc)...PNY 480GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SLC SSD (Gaming)...Hitachi GST Deskstar 750GB 7200 HDD (Storage)...Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI Express Sound Card...Qnix 27" 2K IPS display
    • By dreadflopp
      I posted a couple of weeks ago about a STEP SE guide addon. It has developed into a proper STEP build, which is why I decided to start a new topic. This is a guide based on STEP SE and you use it instead of STEP SE. It is in a finished state and I am currently game testing.  I will add the guide to the STEP wiki soon, which is as easy as cut and paste some text. It is currently on Github only.

On the todo-list:

Revisit the animations section of the guide and check out Project New Reign - Nemesis PCEA as well as other animation mods.  

Introduction: Welcome to Dread's Skyrim Build
      Link: https://dreadflopp.github.io/dreadsskyrimbuild/

This guide is a STEP build based on the STEP: Core build. The STEP team has built a base with mods that enhances and fixes Skyrim without breaking the vanilla look and feel. This guides further enhances Skyrim, adds to it and alters elements of it in several ways.

The mods featured in this build are chosen to be immersive and realistic. Realistic in a fantasy setting means believable. The mods should feel like they expand or enhances vanilla Skyrim, like they could have been there from the beginning.

What to expect
      Support for the Survival mode from Bethesda Creation Club. HD textures for landscapes, structures and buildings that keeps the vanilla look and feel. HD textures for clutter, armors, weapons other items. Bigger trees for a truly immersive forest. Enhanced visuals with Cathedral Weather, Relighting Skyrim and Luminosity Lighting Overhaul. New unique armors are added to the game. New weapons types with custom animations. More adventures with new quests and new lands to visit. Overhauled cities, towns and villages. Expanded character creation with the CBBE female body with realistic presets. Overhauled character leveling and skill system: Overhauled skill trees with new perks. Overhauled magic with new spells. A new class system. New experience system that encourages exploration. Slower leveling to allow you to experience the dlc-sized added content before maxing out your character. New, tougher bandits and dragons. New NPC's and followers. This build is made to be easy to install
      No LOOT rules, every conflict is resolved with the patches. Run LOOT and you are done. No bashed patch. All level list conflicts are resolved by the patches. No merging of plugins. Every patch is esl-flagged to make sure the plugin limit count is not reached. Advanced FOMOD installer for the patches. No need to choose which patches to use, the installer does the work for you. Almost all mods are optional

All mods in this build are optional, except for:
      Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch. Cloaks of Skyrim and Winter is Coming. Use them both or not at all.