PN Grenade key not working and other issues [CLOSED]

DanielCoffey

Question

I have seen some odd behaviour today centred on my mouse and keyboard keys and I thought I would ask for opinions...

Firstly my Project Nevada grenade "G" key is not working as expected. I can see the current throwable object selected in the HUD. I press and hold "G" and I see the current weapon go away. The throwable (dynamite in this case) appears briefly but I don't get the activate sound (zippo lighter noise) and when I release "G" the throwable is just put away and the main weapon reappears.

Secondly  when I briefly press RMB I don't get any of the HUD elements appearing that are set to appear on RMB. RMB works perfectly with a weapon out. I go to aiming ironsights as expected. If I toggle the UI with "I" all the elements such as time and  primary stats appear properly. If I just click RMB I get that little zoom FOV change but no HUD elements appear. RMB works fine in Windows.

Only two things have happened today which may have an impact on this. One is that I have obtained Willow's Deluxe villa in Novac and used the Sortomatic to put all weapons away. I did remember to pick up some dynamite but may not have actually selected it with "H" before trying "G". The other is that I have changed my mouse from a no-name mouse to a Razer Deathadder (Left Handed) and this did cause some issues. First I have swapped the two buttons round in Windows so that the left one is LMB and the right one is RMB (it is a left handed mouse so they were reversed). The other issue was that the Razer Synapse 2.0 software tried to install and my anti-virus wigged out and gave a false positive for a Trojan (the Razer Synapse tracks mouse clicks so triggered the Anti-virus). I have currently deinstalled the remains of Razer Synapse and have scanned for malware and am clean.

I don't believe the mouse swap is the issue but it is very odd timing I have to admit.

I did find a report of the grenade hotkey on PN not working with a "project Nevada grenade hotkey not working" google search which suggested a script had wigged out and needed resetting. Thoughts?

Edited by DanielCoffey

6 answers to this question

The RMB problem might be a conflict with PPA. It messes with a lot of stuff, so it can cause HUD issues.

Did you try changing the grenade hotkey settings in MCM. The PN menus have some options for hotkeys off by default and they need to be set before you can use the grenades properly.

I have taken PPA (and Ambient Temperature) out for this playthrough so there is no conflict there. The RMB and grenade hotkey was working fine two nights ago but then I arrived at Novac and used the sorter as well as change the mouse on the same day. I can understand the mouse upsetting the LMB/RMB keys but not the grenade issue.

I will check the keys for grenades but I can see the dynamite appearing in the right hand - it just doesn't light and throw. There are a few suggestions I found to do with disabling mods, saving and re-enabling as well as resetting a quest. I will check a clean (or early) save and see.

The HUD not showing on RMB may point to the mod that has gone wrong because the PN Grenade fix suggests checking the HUD first.

I am really confused with these issues/ I can turn PN Grenade throw on and off (and even reset the quest) but it still does not function. I  can see the "Show on RMB" on the UI elements but they don't show. I took out oHUD, put it back and reset all the UI MCM options and it still didn't show on RMB. I have tried restarting a new game and the same two issues persist.

Is there a way to reset the MCM settings and start from scratch?

It was the left-handed mouse... for both issues!

Despite using the Win8 "swap primary/secondary buttons" feature of the Win8 drivers, FNV was confused over which button was which. With the buttons swapped in Win8 so that LMB was Button 1 and RMB was Button 2, FNV got confused. LMB fired and RMB aimed but it was the other way round in certain menus. Some MCM sub-menus still read Button 1 and Button 2. Others read LMB and RMB.

As soon as I took off the Win8 swap buttons checkbox, all RMB-to-show-UI functions returned and the Project Nevada grenade throw worked.

The issue stems from the fact that I am left-handed but have always used an Ambi mouse so am used to left button being button 1. I have been using mice this way for 30-odd years and it is deeply ingrained.  The new mouse is a genuine left-handed mouse with button 1 = forefinger, button 2 is middle finger.

I believe that this can be changed properly in the Razer Synapse mouse software but my anti-virus tool totally freaked out and reported malware in it due to the way it installed in the registry and because it tracked mouse clicks.