Translucent "ripple" seam effect + stutter with ENBoost

aaltair

Question

I've searched everywhere and I can't find this problem, hoping someone here might have insight into this...

Late to the game, I just got a computer that can run a modded skyrim..or really any skyrim. I modded Oblivion on my old computer and knew how much research would be involved so for the last month since getting the computer I've been meticulously combing how-to's and the Nexus. I knew that eventually I would want to try a full ENB but I started out with just the unofficial patches, Windsong character overhaul and superior lore-friendly hair to mess with character creation. I then installed ENBoost. When I entered the game I noticed strange sounds and flying objects which should not have been flying, plus my FPS was over 100. I also had an annoying translucent rippling effect as I turned the camera and walked around, a single long line almost like a seam, narrow, translucent and rippling or maybe shimmering is a good word for it. It changes as I move, with it being a very definable ripple seam at times, and other times it's almost as if there is a subtle rippled effect washing over the screen, like looking through a really old glass window (if you know what I mean...looking out of antique glass windows has a ripple distortion). So I did some research, found out I needed an FPS limiter for the flying objects and strange sounds. Took care of that, logged back on and my FPS was sitting solidly at 60, however the ripple line was still present, along with some stuttering. FPS remained at 60. 

I couldn't find an answer to the ripple and I decided I would just get rid of the ENboost until such time as I could figure out what went wrong, since I didn't really need it yet anyway. I installed several more mods and started a new game, then started thinking about the texture combining utility, SMC, as well as wanting to install a full ENB. So I combined my textures and had intermittent crashes, but no stuttering or translucent ripple. Went over everything and the FAQ of the SMC page says ENboost is essential. So back I go to ENboost and very carefully install. 

I start up the game and no more crashes...however the ripple is back just like before, along with some stuttering. My FPS with the textures installed is still good, though in some areas it jumps between 35 and 60...and oddly sometimes jumps to 62 or 65 even though I have the limiter set to 60. The game is playable in terms of literally doing all the actions you need to do, but the rippling effect is maddening. 

I've tried multiple variations of enblocal.ini tweaks found online to increase performance and reduce stuttering, all to no avail. It's driving me nuts, and no one else is talking about any weird ripple effect. I tried to take a screenshot of it but it doesn't come out at all, probably has to do with it moving around with the camera.

Has anyone had or heard of this issue before? Am I doomed to no ENB?

My computer has an i7 4790 3.60GHz 16GB with Nvidia GTX 760 3GB video memory

Windows 8.1

I am using NMM, LOOT, SKSE and I have the SKSE memory patch settings

When experiencing the problem I am using the wrapper version of the ENB

I would post my mod order but it doesn't seem relevant given that I was having the same problem with almost no mods as I am now with 80.

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by aaltair

3 answers to this question