Quit to desktop before reloading a game?

I've a recommendation in a few places now where people say it's better to completely quit the game before reloading a save after you die in game.

- What is the reason for this exactly?

- Is it recommended to quit only after dying or at any time before loading a saved game?

Anyone with some knowledge on this care to elaborate please?

Thanks!

Well... Some knowledge ;-)

Skyrim is incredibly bad at getting rid of data it doesn't need anymore. For example, if you go into a store save sell all your goods to the merchant and then reload your save the merchant might own the items you sold him or has the same amount of gold left after you had sold him the gear. The merchants wealth has transferred into the other save game.

How this might affect other parts of the game is hard to tell, but since this does happen, it is recommended to restart skyrim before accessing any save game through loading, even when starting a new game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me its essential because my Mod Organizer is BROKEN somehow, I need to boot Skyrim TWICE to get access to my save game, the first time I load Skyrim, my save games are all missing, then I have to exit and restart Skyrim and lo and behold they are there again!  

So exiting out of Skyrim every time I die is a terrible waste of time.  So I was very relieved to find that exiting to menu works just as well.

If anyone can help me with mod Mod Organizer issue I would be very grateful.

(I have tried, clearing my save game folder & reinstalling Mod Organizer, I am using the most current version of MO.)

Edited by Garfink