Ash Rocks by michaelrw

torminater

If only it also fixed how the decal off ash on roofs etc. looked I would be happy. It is by far one of the worst eyesores in the game atm. Do not know what the artists where thinking when they made it.

Snow works because the background is mostly white or whiteish... here we have yelloish background with a grey overlay, the contrast is just too large.

But yeh the 4k version for a decal is just a waste really. 2k is good enough.

Also you can clearly see a difference between 1k and 2k... its mostly on the lower part of the image, it is more blurry.

• 3 weeks later...

heh just saw this thread. oops. was so busy during initial release i wasnt on here very much and now things have slowed down.

yea, 4k to most will be a waste. from sufficient distance away you cant tell any difference between the texture sizes. obviously the closer you get the more pronounced things like artifacts, noise, pixelation will become. I tend to be very much a perfectionist in that ideally i would like to be able to have my nose pressed against a surface and not see any pixels of the texture, and still be able to make out what is being portrayed (in this case microscopic ash particulate which is inherently hard to simulate based on the single entity size that lays somewhere in the micrometer order of magnitude). On the other end of the size spectrum, consideration had to be made for the large amounts of UV stretching that occur on some meshes still (even though a lot has been fixed - smim and similar mods). I personally think that a texture with more pixel data is able to be stretched a little more (or more accurately/smoothly) than a texture with 25% the data (i.e. 1k vs 2k). At the end of the day, while it may not look as though there is a difference, there is. How much difference that actually translates to in-game is a matter of debate i suppose. Most people will never notice, or ever care to notice, the difference between the 3 different sizes. That being said, some people do.. and for those people, the option is there. It never hurts to throw up extra resolutions if it makes more people happy. Nonetheless, thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Uncompressed normal maps are the "best" option for normal maps since there is no color degradation due to compression!

If you open a normal map you can see its oddly colored etc. depth and detail is based on these colors, hence if you remove color information due to compression the normal map is not as accurate.

However it also takes up a lot more memory.

As for new and old, then I would have to test them out to tell ya. So that will have to wait.

the difference between original and new is two completely different textures. the original is the texture i released with the initial release. The new texture is a completely different texture that was made from scratch instead of using the vanilla ash textures as a base (which is what i did with the 'original') I'll see if i can update the installer to have screenshot of each. There should be compares on the mod page, maybe i didnt mark it as clear as i thought. Im not very good with xml coding and thus not proficient in NMM installers, so i will see what i can do about getting compares into the installer. If anyone knows a guy (who knows a guy, lol) that can do this type of work and would be willing to lend a hand, let me know.

yes, everything Aiyen said. Uncompressed maps are never compressed (conceptually similar to how zip files are compressed to smaller sizes) and thus are not subject to artifacts that can arise from compressing and uncompressing the image data.

just looked into it and i do have a compare jpeg in the installer. 'Fine' ash is the original and 'Dense' ash is the new. Maybe ill just call them type 1 and type 2 and reflect that in the installer and on the mod page to avoid any confusion. sorry

That's probably why I was confused. I'm using Wrye Bash, not NMM. There is no wizard for WB.

oh yeah. i do have it set up in a BAIN format since i am an ex-WryeBash user myself, but the compare shots are only in the fomod installer (for MO and NMM). I would like to get a WB wizard setup for it, but that is yet one more thing I have to learn how to do from scratch as I have no prior experience with writing WB wizard code. Ill maybe include a screenshots folder in the next update that wrye user can at least see from the root folder.

and again, if anyone knows someone who can write these installers (*cough* williamimm *cough*) send them my way :D

• 3 months later...

Ash Rocks by michaelrw

This mod makes proper ash out of that grayish paint splattered all over the rocks of Solsthiem. I already took the liberty of doing some screens and think it should be considered for mod testing since we are in the middle of discussing Dragonborn textures.

HRDLC->Ash Rocks 1k fine->Ash Rocks 2k fine->Ash Rocks 1k Dense->Ash Rocks 2k Dense

Far distance

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Medium distance

Close

Close Alternate

Edit: There is optional sulfur, will do in a bit.