House of Horrors Alternate Ending (by Kevin Kidder/sushisquid)

WilliamImm

Mod Link

This adds an option to spare the captive priest of Boethiah during Molag Bal's daedric quest instead of killing him. In the vanilla game, this is a hard quest to RP properly if you are a good character, because there's no justification for why you'd HAVE to kill the priest of Bolethiah (unlike the poor Vigilant).

To trigger the alternate ending, when Molag asks you to kill the priest with the rusty mace, drop it instead. This automatically ends the quest and lets the priest escape, but for defying a powerful Daedric entity, you get cursed with 50% weakness to fire and no divine blessings. To remove that effect, you will have to go to a Shrine of Stendarr, which will also give you a minor boon when fighting daedra.

I haven't checked if this has any ESP conflicts (it'll most likely conflict with Even Better Quest Objectives, maybe The Choice is Yours), but this looks like a really good mod. Scriptwise, it conflicts with one of EBQO's modified scripts (I'd have to make a merged script later), but not with The Choice is Yours.

This may actually be a good mod to integrate directly into The Choice is Yours (if both authors are willing), now that I think of it.

Yes, the alternate ending will not count towards the Oblivion Walker achievement, and you can't get it back after the ending, since the mace just fizzles out of existence (at least until Molag finds a willing vic^H^H^H"champion"). Not sure about if it will affect usage of the house afterwards, only know about this mod from the description.

Along the same lines, there are alternate solution options for two other Daedric quests. Here's one for Boethiah, and one for Namira. Both are by a different author, but they are in the same vein - Boethiah's lets you avoid sacrificing a friend, and Namira's... you basically shanghai him/her by creating a fake version of the priest that you are supposed to sacrifice (and a alternate reward to boot). Looks like that warrants some form of a compilation...

I don't know, the alternate to Molag Bal's quest seems like it is lore-breaking. I mean, we are dealing with the Daedric prince of domination, so his quest would involve a situation where he is in total control.

I do know that The Choice is Yours provides an alternate for Boethiah already. Just kill everyone at the shrine instead of a follower then tell Boethiah that you're going to Sovengarde or that you server Molag Bal. I did the Sovengarde route, ended up cursed by her and had to find a shrine of Stendarr in order to cure myself. Once done, I got a unique artifact.

As for Namira's quest, just coaxing Eola to attack you in the tombs is a way around it. You can also lure the priest to the feast and attack everyone there.