Faster GET UP STAND UP animation vanilla friendly

PopReference

• 4 months later...

Well I think it might be realistic though...

A dragon lands right infront of you, you get blown away. Wearing about 20-30 kg of armor plus grabbing on to your shield and sword you get thrown into the air and crash onto the ground. First couple of seconds you'll be more like: "OMFG", trying to scramble to your feet you'll try to first get on all fours use your weapon to pull you upright.

You kind of get it. Medieval combat has nothing to do with chinese superhumans flying a 100 meters and then pushing their sword into the water the fly 30 meters up and come down with 300 km/h creating shockwaves as strong as a 800 kg bomb.

What I hate about vanilla stand up animation is that it only starts when you are lying still. Fighting the first dragon outside of whiterun he'll blow me off my feet, and in slowmotion I'll slide down that ramp which leads to the tower. Plus I don't like that it takes the same amount of time no matter what gear you are wearing... And jumping whilst lying on ground or when the animation is playing ... is just awful! :D

I've been using this for 100+ hours (honestly I'm being modest, it's probably been well over that) with no issues.

It's basically a fix. I always felt that getting up after being knocked down was ridiculously drawn out. Here we are, the Dragonborn: Able to train our bodies to ultimate perfection (and beyond now thanks to one of Bethesda's patches!). But oh god no we have to take forever getting up.

The changes are tastefully done. You don't immediately get up like nothing happened, but you also don't take forever getting up either.

It's compatible with anything that does not change the same two files:

mt_getupfromback.HKX

mt_getupfromfront.HKX

Well I think it might be realistic though...

A dragon lands right infront of you, you get blown away. Wearing about 20-30 kg of armor plus grabbing on to your shield and sword you get thrown into the air and crash onto the ground. First couple of seconds you'll be more like: "OMFG", trying to scramble to your feet you'll try to first get on all fours use your weapon to pull you upright.

You kind of get it. Medieval combat has nothing to do with chinese superhumans flying a 100 meters and then pushing their sword into the water the fly 30 meters up and come down with 300 km/h creating shockwaves as strong as a 800 kg bomb.

What I hate about vanilla stand up animation is that it only starts when you are lying still. Fighting the first dragon outside of whiterun he'll blow me off my feet, and in slowmotion I'll slide down that ramp which leads to the tower. Plus I don't like that it takes the same amount of time no matter what gear you are wearing... And jumping whilst lying on ground or when the animation is playing ... is just awful! :D

Ehhh a realism debate is rather quite pointless, for several reasons. But here's the number one reason:

Quicker does not mean instant.

Well, the realism debate really makes sense when you start you next statement with "A dragon...". One of the things that has always drove me nuts is the quest for realism in terms of our world and not adapting it to the TES world.

If you have the soul of a freaking dragon, you should be able to get up pretty freaking fast.

Well, the realism debate really makes sense when you start you next statement with "A dragon...". One of the things that has always drove me nuts is the quest for realism in terms of our world and not adapting it to the TES world.

If you have the soul of a freaking dragon, you should be able to get up pretty freaking fast.

And that's just one of many reasons.

Adrenaline is another.

In terms of gameplay: Waiting for your character to get up is annoying, to say the least. I'm a fan of realism, but not to the point where it actually detracts from gameplay.

There's plenty more reasons.

Many fences of text ahead.

I finally got around to watching the video. My get up animation is not that fast (using the latest version as well)... weird. Though it is notably faster than vanilla. Maybe the mod author altered the animation in order to showcase it in video?

But then again, my argument still stands because this is a tweak for the get up animation itself. If you're in ragdoll, you still have to wait before the get up animation kicks in. This animation tweak does not alter that.

If it helps, consider that your character is gaining their bearings before getting up.

Also, real life is not like the movies where our glorious and pure and holy protagonist gets the crap beat out of them, forcing a long and drawn out sexual encounter with the ground before finally mustering up the energy to kill the antagonist just after a snarky one-liner.

No. In real life, things happen fast. If you're in a close-quarters combat situation and you're hugging the ground, it's all ready over... unless you have an adrenaline rush. IMO, that's what this mod is akin to. If the player just simply plays on the easiest difficulty then there's really no issue because it's doubtful that enemies will kill them that fast. But for the rest of us... yar.

And now I'm gonna circle back around and reference combat flow. If I wanted to watch someone take forever getting up, I'd go to a retirement home.

As for me, I'd rather have my immersion not be disrupted by being forced to realize I'm sitting here playing a game. By being forced to realize that the only reason the vanilla get up animation takes so long is for "balance" purposes.