Observation from a noob on SSE 2.3

lrogers287

Thank your for this very helpful guide.  Here is my observations.

MO2 ver 2.5.2.

SE v2.3 Feedback

Step 2
    SKSE64 -  I suggest this page should be emphasized more. https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:SKSE64/2.3
        I had to backtrack and do this at a later stage.  I would suggest making its own step.

Tool Setup - it is not clear if an empty mod is required for the tools beside xEdit.  E.g. of the topics listed in the expandable box for xEDIT, what applies to the other tools.
        I went ahead and made empty mods and took my best estimate on the config options in MO.

Step 3
    Cleaning Vanilla masters.  It would help to explain at the beginning something like this:    
        "You are going to clean the vanilla files to remove issues.  After cleaning you will replace the original 
        vanilla files and keep the modified ones in a dedicated mod"  or whatever the goals is.  I am not too sure 
        I completely understood it, but LOOT doesn't complain about the 44 files anymore with the cleaned masters.

Unless i am missing something, I would suggest making a wholesale copy of the original master folder to a separate folder (orig_backup), 
        modifying the files, and then moving the files in (orig_backup) to the vanilla SSE location.  The process to remove the backup 
        from the filename was cumbersome and i messed up a couple of times.  The DOS command for the * replace didn't work.

Step 4 (so far)
    I would suggest some more introduction.  "At this point you are going to make a bunch of mod installs. It is important
    to understand how MO does mod installations with Nexxus.  Please see yyy location for a better understanding"  (if there 
    is one).  MO2 v2.5.2 is not really clear on how to download from within Nexxus.    
    I am having some challenge in downloading to MO "directly"  I am using the technique of navigating to the Nexxus    
    page, manually downloading to my Downloads folder, and using the MO2 button to extract the Mod.  It appears to be 
    working.

It is non-trivial to understand if the mod is correctly installed.  This is more an issue with Nexxus mod instructions,
    or i am missing something about the nature of MO (e.g. does it verify the mod or only install the files).

Thanks again for a very comprehensive install guide.

1. SKSE64 is installed under "02-Extenders" and has a dropdown that explains how to install (the same you refer to so no need to backtrack). I think it is very clear.

In Step 7 there is explanaition to create mods for the other tools.

2. Cleaning vanilla masters is due to DynDOLOD needing it as i understand. I think it is very clear how to do it in the guide.

3. In MO2 settings there is a tab called "Nexus". There you can set MO2 to automatic recognize Nexus links and automatic install mods. MO2 ssetup for Step Guide 2.3 is HERE . Did you follow it?

5 hours ago, lrogers287 said:

Step 2

SKSE64 -  I suggest this page should be emphasized more. https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:SKSE64/2.3
        I had to backtrack and do this at a later stage.  I would suggest making its own step.

It's not clear how you had to 'backtrack'. Please elaborate.

Tool Setup - it is not clear if an empty mod is required for the tools beside xEdit.  E.g. of the topics listed in the expandable box for xEDIT, what applies to the other tools.

I went ahead and made empty mods and took my best estimate on the config options in MO.

Don't assume and create your own instructions. Follow the guide exactly. If something doesn't make sense, let us know. Guessing will lead to problems.

Step 3

Cleaning Vanilla masters.  It would help to explain at the beginning something like this:    
        "You are going to clean the vanilla files to remove issues.  After cleaning you will replace the original 
        vanilla files and keep the modified ones in a dedicated mod"  or whatever the goals is.  I am not too sure 
        I completely understood it, but LOOT doesn't complain about the 44 files anymore with the cleaned masters.

Unless i am missing something, I would suggest making a wholesale copy of the original master folder to a separate folder (orig_backup), 
        modifying the files, and then moving the files in (orig_backup) to the vanilla SSE location.  The process to remove the backup 
        from the filename was cumbersome and i messed up a couple of times.  The DOS command for the * replace didn't work.

Backing up the game and relevant files is discussed in the SSG in Step 1. We hope people will extrapolate. Also, we do mention this in that section of the guide:

image.png

That said, the intro could be reworked a bit to clarify.

Step 4 (so far)

I would suggest some more introduction.  "At this point you are going to make a bunch of mod installs. It is important
    to understand how MO does mod installations with Nexxus.  Please see yyy location for a better understanding"  (if there 
    is one).  MO2 v2.5.2 is not really clear on how to download from within Nexxus.    
    I am having some challenge in downloading to MO "directly"  I am using the technique of navigating to the Nexxus    
    page, manually downloading to my Downloads folder, and using the MO2 button to extract the Mod.  It appears to be 
    working.

It is non-trivial to understand if the mod is correctly installed.  This is more an issue with Nexxus mod instructions,
    or i am missing something about the nature of MO (e.g. does it verify the mod or only install the files).

Again, the SSG explicitly mentions the importance of setting up MO with Nexus:

image.png

image.png

On 9/16/2024 at 3:27 PM, Mercury71 said:

1. SKSE64 is installed under "02-Extenders" and has a dropdown that explains how to install (the same you refer to so no need to backtrack). I think it is very clear.

In Step 7 there is explanaition to create mods for the other tools.

2. Cleaning vanilla masters is due to DynDOLOD needing it as i understand. I think it is very clear how to do it in the guide.

3. In MO2 settings there is a tab called "Nexus". There you can set MO2 to automatic recognize Nexus links and automatic install mods. MO2 ssetup for Step Guide 2.3 is HERE . Did you follow it?

#3 - Yes I did follow the instructions and it is setup fine.  Funny enough, in watching several Youtube videos, the only one that shows the use of the Downlaod tab in the right pane is SoftGaming.