Hi there, i am a newbe when it comes to modding but following STEP guide i manage somehow to properly setup the game. Now i was wondering, since i would like to install some conteng mod like Legacy of the dragonborne or Undeath remastered, immersion armor and weapons, bandoliers....that kind of stuff. (Not much really i would be more than happy with just these 3/4 mods). Is there a proper way to do this with the Step setup as a base? What would you suggest me to do? Would i still have a stable game experience?

Also what if i don't want mods to be updated....i would like to have the build frozen since it just work. 

8 hours ago, Reick said:

Hi there, i am a newbe when it comes to modding but following STEP guide i manage somehow to properly setup the game. Now i was wondering, since i would like to install some conteng mod like Legacy of the dragonborne or Undeath remastered, immersion armor and weapons, bandoliers....that kind of stuff. (Not much really i would be more than happy with just these 3/4 mods). Is there a proper way to do this with the Step setup as a base? What would you suggest me to do? Would i still have a stable game experience?

Also what if i don't want mods to be updated....i would like to have the build frozen since it just work. 

Customizing the Step build is a commonly-used option. You would need to understand what each mod is doing (replacing assets, changing game records, or both), and patch according to the result you want using xEdit. I don't know enough about those mods to provide any additional recommendations.

To 'freeze' the game, you only need to use MO and NOT update any of your mods... and prevent Steam from updating the game (another topic). Back up your SSE game directory when you're done with the build. You can also use MO to back up your mod/plugin list/priority.

Adding to what z say above...

1. After you have installed the Step Guide copy that profile and name the new profile Step Guide+ or something. This way you will always have a clean Step Guide profile.

2. I have a separator in MO2 after alll the ones in Step called "My Additions" wherer i put my extras, and in the case it is a mod that needs to be in the proper Step part i make a notation in the "Notes" for tha mod that it is a Non Step Mod so i can find them fast (mostly texture, meshes mods).

3. When choising additional mods try to think where Step would place it in the guide and read up on the mods in that category. For exampla... you want to add a cool alchemy mod... will it go well with CACO, yes or no. Is there existing patches on Nexus? Also read the comment section for the mods on Nexus. maby someone else is using the same combo you want.

4. LOTD is a very large mod so it will probably need patches. HERE is an outdated patch between Step and LOTD that might be worth looking at.

5. Step improves vanilla without adding to much new, so i think it is rather easy to add mods. That said... in Step part 4 you can read about installing the guide without CACO, CCOR and TCIY, this setup might be more compatible. But i always use the full Step build.

6. If adding the mods changing exterior stuff out in the world... dont forget to revisit Step 5, Level of Detail part of the guide.

7. Animations. The animation part of Step is atm rather small and basic so adding some cool animations and DAR/OAR is not a problem. I like EVG Conditional idles for example.

Some small mods i almost always add to my Step Guide as examples: Improved Camera SE, Bogmort, Dot Crosshair, Experience, Immersiv College NPCs, Winterhold Gate SE, Riverwood Bridge Reborn,

• Like 1

Thanks' you very much, i didn't know how much i could temper with the step build, but from what you said, STEP is like a very good base where i can add my "way to play the game". I'll follow your advice about backing it up. 

I am sorry i am reposting something here even if the post is already closed. I was experimenti with some configs and it occured to me.....i feel like there is something out of place(Look imagiese). Is the terrain supposed to look like this? Wasn't this area more grassy with foliages? Is this the normal STEP looking tundra? I am just outside of Whiterun.

I just want to know if it's ok or not, and if it isn't, what could be the problem?

20240716013937_1.jpg

20240716013933_1.jpg

20240716013927_1.jpg

Posted (edited)

MMh tha is weird because i am not usign that mod. I followed every step according to the guide, the one i am using is Grass Cache Fixes. 

Edited by Reick

3 hours ago, Reick said:

MMh tha is weird because i am not usign that mod. I followed every step according to the guide, the one i am using is Grass Cache Fixes. 

Did you donwload/install the grass cache?

LOOT may be sorting GrassCacheFixes.esp at higher priority than Step Patch - Conflict Resolution.esp. Drag plugin to lower priority (above) the Step Patch in the Plugins in MO.

I am sorry, i am new so i don't really understand. What do you mean with download the grass cache? I followed the guide so i should've done that. 

2 hours ago, Reick said:

I am sorry, i am new so i don't really understand. What do you mean with download the grass cache? I followed the guide so i should've done that. 

When you download the Step Patches, there are also downloads for ENB and Step Grass under Misc Files. Be sure you have the grass mod enabled.

Then you must ensure the GCF plugin isn't overriding the Step CR Patch, or the Step Grass files will not have priority over the dummy (blank) grass files provided by GCF.

Alright, that did wonders, i had to put the grass crash fixes all the way up before Step Patches like you suggested. Sorry for the late replay but i've been with high fever :pinch:.

• Like 1

Hi, still me. Everything is looking fine now. I was tempering with the modpack trying to add Legacy of the dragonborn. As for now i didn't encounter any huge problem, the only thing is that LOTD has already "Book Covers" and " Book Covers Lost Library" in it so LOOT is giving me an error. I tries to Untick those 2 mods just to see what would happer, but looks like most of the STEP patches (Including the conflict Resolution) depends on those mods somehow. Does anyone know how i could solve this? Also teoretically i should run DynDOLOD again but should i run xLODGen and TexGen too? Thanks you all

1 hour ago, Reick said:

Hi, still me. Everything is looking fine now. I was tempering with the modpack trying to add Legacy of the dragonborn. As for now i didn't encounter any huge problem, the only thing is that LOTD has already "Book Covers" and " Book Covers Lost Library" in it so LOOT is giving me an error. I tries to Untick those 2 mods just to see what would happer, but looks like most of the STEP patches (Including the conflict Resolution) depends on those mods somehow. Does anyone know how i could solve this? Also teoretically i should run DynDOLOD again but should i run xLODGen and TexGen too? Thanks you all

Book Covers mods have lots of patched records, so removing them as masters is simple but tedious.

I would not recommend using LotD, especially if it combines all sorts of different stuff like this. Better to use your own build. Otherwise, just use that and be done with it (sounds like that's the intent). I've never used it, so IDK really.

See "when to regenerate LOD" in our guide. You be the judge.

Could you point me to some guide on how to remove masters? I came back to skyrim just for LotD actually...so yeah not playing with it would not be the best. I am taking this opportunity to learn more about the modding world so I don't mind putting myself into problem solving.

6 minutes ago, Reick said:

Could you point me to some guide on how to remove masters? I came back to skyrim just for LotD actually...so yeah not playing with it would not be the best. I am taking this opportunity to learn more about the modding world so I don't mind putting myself into problem solving.

This topic explains the process I would use.