Can't Convert Grass Cache Files Into Mod?

Hello! So, I'm trying to use the latest version of No Grass In Objects to generate my grass cache from Skyrim AE (the latest Steam version before last year's update). I just finally got the pre-cache generation process to finish all the way through.

However, now, I can't seem to figure out how to get MO2 to actually convert the .cgid files into a mod? MO2 just doesn't seem to recognize that as being a valid option. If I manually navigate to the Overwrite/Grass folder where all the .cgid files are located using the "Install New Mod from Archive" tool, it shows the folder as being empty.

I notice that there are actually more than one "Overwrite" folders associated with MO2. One in the actual install (C:\Modding\MO2\overwrite), and another buried in the User App files (C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\overwrite\grass). Everything seems to be generating in this latter folder. However, even if I copy and paste all the grass files from the second overwrite folder to the first, it doesn't seem to make any difference. They both show up as blank to MO2.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.8f1afc39fabedebfd8ac490c54a8ffbb.png

image.thumb.png.587e4eb6ae70c078b66e48d8ecc161e6.png

To elaborate a bit ...

Right click "Overwrite" at the bottom of the MO left pane, and choose "Create mod". Then give the mod a name, and it will be moved into that as a mod in MO at the highest priority (I think).

image.png

This is the path to your MO SSE instance:

C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition

This is where the Overwrite folder resides under your MO SSE instance:

C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\overwrite

This is where the mod should be installed (and will be if you do as we're saying):

C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\mods\newModName

If MO is installed at C:\Modding\MO2, there is no C:\Modding\MO2\overwrite, so you must be incorrectly assuming it exists. That threw me way off, but it's not in your screens.

PS: I had no clue what was happening in the OP until I saw DY's response.

To preface things... It doesn't seem like I actually need to build a separate mod? I've got the game running now, and I've got grass as far as the eye can see, with no performance hit, and grasscontrol.ini set to only draw from the precache. 

Sooo... I guess I'm good then? What would I need a mod for? To work with DynDOLOD?

To address some of the rest of these...

On 5/13/2024 at 10:42 PM, DoubleYou said:

You don't need to exit the MO2 application. Simply right-click Overwrite --> Create Mod.

On 5/13/2024 at 11:28 PM, z929669 said:

To elaborate a bit ...

Right click "Overwrite" at the bottom of the MO left pane, and choose "Create mod". Then give the mod a name, and it will be moved into that as a mod in MO at the highest priority (I think).

image.png

This is the path to your MO SSE instance:

C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition

This is where the Overwrite folder resides under your MO SSE instance:

C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\overwrite

This is where the mod should be installed (and will be if you do as we're saying):

C:\Users\grgto\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\mods\newModName

If MO is installed at C:\Modding\MO2, there is no C:\Modding\MO2\overwrite, so you must be incorrectly assuming it exists. That threw me way off, but it's not in your screens.

PS: I had no clue what was happening in the OP until I saw DY's response.

Okay, gotcha. I was missing that there was a separate tab to access the "overwrite" folder at the bottom of my modlist. I had been trying to use the big explorer window on the righthand side, by navigating to the "Data" tab. That one doesn't show any option to create a mod when right clicking.

11 minutes ago, gath88 said:

To preface things... It doesn't seem like I actually need to build a separate mod? I've got the game running now, and I've got grass as far as the eye can see, with no performance hit, and grasscontrol.ini set to only draw from the precache. 

Sooo... I guess I'm good then? What would I need a mod for? To work with DynDOLOD?

To address some of the rest of these...

Okay, gotcha. I was missing that there was a separate tab to access the "overwrite" folder at the bottom of my modlist. I had been trying to use the big explorer window on the righthand side, by navigating to the "Data" tab. That one doesn't show any option to create a mod when right clicking.

Think of the right pane as showing you information about the data (mods) in the left pane. The Data tab in the right pane simply shows you the result of assets you will have (and their mod sources) if you launch the game. The Overwrite is in the left pane, because it represents the highest priority assets created by some mod or modding process that will override the results in the Data tab. It landed by default in Overwrite, because it had nowhere to go. It's really a sort of warning mod (see at upper right of MO when your Overwrite has a file) to let you know you have assets that should be sorted.