Wearable Lanterns SMIM Patch

PopReference

Voting for vanilla lanterns, definitely. And a walkthrough to not install SMIM lanterns to the base game. Compared to Morrowind modding, people have so much difficulties to make good models that integrate well TES lore these days. It began with Oblivion, a bit sad and surprising. Perhaps its the realism shift taken by the series that inspires modders differently, idk.

Okay, back from sleeping and looks like i was wrong but it no longer matters.

As for vanilla lanterns they aren't "lore friendly" either, if you look at the HD DLC textures it's clear that the lamp was welded together, this is not mere brazing either it looks to been welded by modern day MIG/stick style techniques.

Therefore these lanterns MUST be from the future and thus are completely Un"lore friendly"!(orbethtexartitsjustsuck)

As for vanilla lanterns they aren't "lore friendly" either' date=' if you look at the HD DLC textures it's clear that the lamp was welded together, this is not mere brazing either it looks to been welded by modern day MIG/stick style techniques.[/quote']

Well yes, Morrowind was Bethesda's most inspired moment in their artistic direction. Oblivion looked fake and uncreative at almost every level in that regard. No soul. Even Daggerfall was a more soul-stirring world (thx to the music/sound ambiance mostly, oh and the semi naked naiads in the temples also ;)). Now Skyrim is a lot better.

Therefore these lanterns MUST be from the future and thus are completely Un"lore friendly"!(orbethtexartitsjustsuck)

Thing is STEP is all about enhancing vanilla with a welcomed margin in the interpretation. But still without crossing the red line of total divergence like these lanterns. The goal is not to reinvent the game, but to fix it where possible.

Agree with Jorus, but again, I'd like confirmation from admin and site mods.

This mod thread is a fine place to post screen compares for reference to SMIM versus vanilla. I will duplicate that post to the SMIM and Wearable lanterns threads.

Please post someone!

I'll post some screens as I can:

Vanilla                                 Smim

Posted Image Posted Image

Also, Chesko's Lanterns have a different texture(just a re-colour/re-size of vanilla) and STEP includes a retexure for the Lantern as well(not sure which mod adds it though, Skyrim HD probably):

Chesko                                STEP

(Notes on Texture sizes[diffuse & normalmap]: Vanilla=128 & 128, HD=512 & 512, Chesko= 1024 & 512, STEP= 1024 & 1024, SMIM= 2048 & 2048[!])

Thanks for posting those screens PR ... I am flipping once again ... SMIM are better, given the close-ups. However, 2k is ridiculous, so these should be reduced to 0.5k.

It would seem that we are at an impasse, as vanilla look good and are sized right, but SMIM look better and are way too big.

If we can convince Brumbek to accept a performance version of his mod textures, I am on board.

Placing on hold until then and asking Brumbek what he thinks (I'll try to post a screen compare using the resized texture too)