Wearable Lanterns SMIM Patch

PopReference

I am going to defer to the TES5Edit experts around here to confirm, but my guess is that this is not necessary, since we no longer recommend using the SMIM plugin; however, it may still be a relevant patch for the USP now. Not sure.

I guess the wording on the mod's description was pretty bad.

From what I can see, this mod replaces the meshes for all of the wearable lanterns with a SMIM'd version of them. The textures folder just contains what seems to be a custom texture for those lanterns. I haven't examined it yet, but I'm assuming that it just adds some lighting effects to the glass, or something similar to that.

I guess the wording on the mod's description was pretty bad.

From what I can see' date=' this mod replaces the meshes for all of the wearable lanterns with a SMIM'd version of them. The textures folder just contains what seems to be a custom texture for those lanterns. I haven't examined it yet, but I'm assuming that it just adds some lighting effects to the glass, or something similar to that.[/quote']

The wearable lanterns lantern adds stuff like glass and effects variations for the different needed mesh detail types. This patch modifies those to match the shape of the Smim lantern, sorry I should have added that, forgot the lack of detail in that nexus page.

Hmm' date=' given the lack of explanation on this mod's description, I naturally assumed that a "compatibility patch" meant a plugin ... I no understand ...[/quote']

You've just been to into this SMIM/USP/wyre/5edit issues and stuff. Patches cannot be plugins, too. :)

OK, now I get it. Could you post some screen compares of with and without this patch? This sounds like a no-brainer as long as the textures look good enough (which I imagine they would).

Added to testing ... but just need the screen compares and the mod page created ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't done any formal testing of this yet, but the lantern, at least for guards, doesn't appear to be working properly. The model shows up, but there's no glow coming from it, and there's no light on inside it.

This patch only supports Wearable Lanterns 2_2a, shouldn't effect the Lanterns for Guards Optional Add-On.

I haven't done any formal testing of this yet' date=' but the lantern' date=' at least for guards, doesn't appear to be working properly. The model shows up, but there's no glow coming from it, and there's no light on inside it.[/quote'']

This patch only supports Wearable Lanterns 2_2a, shouldn't effect the Lanterns for Guards Optional Add-On.

Looking at the files, it definitely includes the model to affect the guards too in that add-on. 

Wearable Lanterns includes these files:

Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
meshes\chesko\_WL_fireflyinjar.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_fireflyinjar_empty.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_fireflyinjarRED.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_PollenMesh.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh_Empty.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh_Front.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh_Front_Empty.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh_FrontRED.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh_Held.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableTorchbugMesh_Held_Empty.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_TravelLanternGO.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_TravelLanternLitGO.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableLanternMesh3.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableLanternMesh_Held.nif
meshes\chesko\_WL_WearableLanternMeshFront1.nif

And Lanterns for Guards includes these:

Chesko_WearableLantern_Guards.esp
Scripts\_WL_GuardLanternScript.pex
meshes\chesko\_wl_wearablelanternmesh_held_guard.nif
Textures\chesko\_WL_lampgeneric01.dds
Textures\chesko\_WL_lampgeneric01_n.dds

Whereas this patch includes these files:

meshes\chesko\_wl_travellanterngo.nif
meshes\chesko\_wl_travellanternlitgo.nif
meshes\chesko\_wl_travellanternlitgo_working.nif
meshes\chesko\_wl_wearablelanternmesh3.nif
meshes\chesko\_wl_wearablelanternmesh_held.nif
meshes\chesko\_wl_wearablelanternmesh_held_guard.nif
meshes\chesko\_wl_wearablelanternmeshfront1.nif
textures\smim\clutter\common\smim_travel_lantern.dds
textures\smim\clutter\common\smim_travel_lantern_n.dds

Note that the base Wearable Lanterns mod doesn't contain any files with the word "guard" in, while both the latter two do.

In addition, this mod doesn't affect the Lanterns for Caravans add-on, or the Candle Lanterns of the North mod (which are all made by Chesko), which can look jarring when you see caravans carrying the vanilla lantern, or when you have a vanilla candle lantern while your other lanterns are all SMIM'd.

Perhaps it would be possible to ask the author if they add proper support for these 3 mods?

I think it could be best for this to be included in the list, but not marked as core, especially if it gets the patches for the other mods. It'd let people who still want the vanilla lanterns use those, but for people that want to use the SMIM'd lanterns, that'd be an option for them.

I definitely prefer the look of the SMIM lanterns, and provided this gets updated for the other mods, I plan to use this.

Well, the author managed to update the mod so that it now supports all the Wearable Lanterns add-ons, and so that the normal file doesn't have any files in it that shouldn't be there. Everything appears to be working now, which is good.

I'm wondering, does this mod need comparison screenshots? PopRefence posted some earlier that only showed the lantern on the back, but considering all the models look the same as that, and they are just the SMIM lantern, are more necessary?