Moving everything to a new hard drive. Want to be sure everything is migrated.

I am moving all of my games to my secondary drive now that it has a decent amount of space. This is everything Steam-related. Those are easy to do. Skyrim with all my STEP mods...a bit more complicated. Is there a decent guide on how to move everything from one drive to another? Anything from steam reinstall to all the mod folders and settings and all the folder references in the files. Does something like that already exist?

2 hours ago, mike10101011 said:

I am moving all of my games to my secondary drive now that it has a decent amount of space. This is everything Steam-related. Those are easy to do. Skyrim with all my STEP mods...a bit more complicated. Is there a decent guide on how to move everything from one drive to another? Anything from steam reinstall to all the mod folders and settings and all the folder references in the files. Does something like that already exist?

For Steam, we link to some instructions.

For mods, it's pretty straight forward if you installed MO as recommended in our system setup guide. If installed in instanced mode, just keep it wherever you have it now. It doesn't use any noteworthy space on your drive wherever it is. It's just the MO program. The instances are where the space used is significant, due to mods and downloads.

See our advanced MO guide for some good clues on moving the location of instances and configuring MO to point to the new locations. We don't have anything specific to your need, but between the System Setup guide and the MO guide, all the info required for moving things around is there.

I got everything migrated and all the files updated to reference the new drive. Easier than I thought it'd be, just took a bit long. Thank you for referencing those links. The first two were particularly helpful.

The only issue I'm having is the resolution. I had it set to 1440 originally and it was fine. Now, 1440 is zoomed in too much. I went to BethINI to ensure the settings were correct, and it is set to 1440. My PC resolution is 1440. I tried changing BethINI to 1080, but that gave me a window that was smaller than my monitor. I could see everything, but it wasn't the right fit.

I reran all the LOD Outputs in case something there was messed up. I remember having to choose the correct resolution when I first set it up. This did not help.

I also checked NVIDIA's GeForce just to check the game settings, and it's set to 1440.

Any idea what else could be affecting the resolution like that?

33 minutes ago, mike10101011 said:

Any idea what else could be affecting the resolution like that?

Seems like the field of view settings. See our BethINI recommendations. The settings for BethINI Pie are a bit differently organized than BethINI, which is what we refer to in our guide, but they are all there in BethINI Pie with much more. You can ignore the insistence to use the 'High' setting if you normally run Ultra. Also use SSE Display Tweaks.

What is your 2d monitor resolution? We need to understand the horizontal dimension in addition to the vertical (1440p). If your monitor is an ultra-wide format, you may need Complete Widescreen Fix.

Posted (edited)

2560x1440 is my monitor resolution. No ultrawide.

I did look through BethINI and all my settings migrated over to the new drive. I went through each tab and confirmed. I did change it to 1080, but the window was made smaller than my monitor, so I reverted back to 2560x1440. You mention BethINI Pie, but I downloaded the one specific to 1.6.640. It's version 1.1.33.10 which worked before the migration.

I did not do any Advanced Config for SSE originally, so I didn't do anything with it this time around, either.

~~

I redid all the Initial BethINI steps as well as the Optimization steps farther down the list. I actually used a brand new BethINI setup by unzipping and replacing the existing one.

I did go through and create a Config file for SSE Display Tweaks and forced the resolution.

• Resolution=2560x1440 - No change
  • Added ResolutionScale=1 - No change
  • Changed ResolutionScale=0.75 - Changed the size of the window and made it smaller than my monitor
    • I could tweak this to .85 or .9, perhaps, but I think that's a band-aid rather than a true solution, right?
  • The best combo I could find is:
    • BorderlessUpscale=true
    • Resolution=2560x1440
    • ResolutionScale=.8
    • The Scale got it just about perfect, so I flipped on BorderlessUpscape to get it just right. Is this the intended purpose of these settings? I feel like I'm working around the problem, but maybe that's just me.
Edited by mike10101011

9 hours ago, mike10101011 said:

2560x1440 is my monitor resolution. No ultrawide.

I did look through BethINI and all my settings migrated over to the new drive. I went through each tab and confirmed. I did change it to 1080, but the window was made smaller than my monitor, so I reverted back to 2560x1440. You mention BethINI Pie, but I downloaded the one specific to 1.6.640. It's version 1.1.33.10 which worked before the migration.

I did not do any Advanced Config for SSE originally, so I didn't do anything with it this time around, either.

~~

I redid all the Initial BethINI steps as well as the Optimization steps farther down the list. I actually used a brand new BethINI setup by unzipping and replacing the existing one.

I did go through and create a Config file for SSE Display Tweaks and forced the resolution.

• Resolution=2560x1440 - No change
  • Added ResolutionScale=1 - No change
  • Changed ResolutionScale=0.75 - Changed the size of the window and made it smaller than my monitor
    • I could tweak this to .85 or .9, perhaps, but I think that's a band-aid rather than a true solution, right?
  • The best combo I could find is:
    • BorderlessUpscale=true
    • Resolution=2560x1440
    • ResolutionScale=.8
    • The Scale got it just about perfect, so I flipped on BorderlessUpscape to get it just right. Is this the intended purpose of these settings? I feel like I'm working around the problem, but maybe that's just me.

I also have a QHD monitor with the same resolution as yours, and my Skyrim display is just right. My settings for BethINI and SSE Display Tweaks are exactly like those recommendations I linked previously, so if you configure everything as such, you should be good. For SSE Display Tweaks, the settings not mentioned are the default of the "High performance configuration" Optional File. Only the settings mentioned should be changed as recommended.

You should be running in borderless windowed mode. You should not need to set ResolutionScale, and BorderlessUpscale should be 'false'.

Check that you are not using conflicting settings in your driver software.

EDIT: See this post on FoV. (i.e., test on a new character/game)

Also make sure no mods are modifying FoV settings via a plugin-loaded INI.